Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a used '03 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6. It started fine yesterday, a few times, but today when I tried to start it the bike made the clicking sound like it was trying to turn over but it couldn't.
Throughout the day I tried a few more times and it just clicks a few times real fast and then turns off, then right back on.
I've tried it with the choke all the way open and closed...and I've tried giving it a little gas. Nothing's worked!
Should I have it jumped? Should I give it a push start, and pop the clutch?

**also when i turn the ignition key and I'm ready to start the bike, the neutral light is on along with the oil light. I can't remember it it always comes on and then goes off when I start it. lol. Maybe that's contributing to the problem?

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Do you have a Battery (trickle) charger?

If so, put the charger on for a 2 -3 hours. Then try to start it.

My guess...it will start fine. Once fully charged the battery should be fine.

Three hours won't fully charge it, but it will let you know if the problem is deeper.

·
Registered
29 Posts
charge it

Bump start it, it sounds like you might have enough volts to fire but not crank. Regardless your battery needs maintenance - the electrolite level needs to be checked (min/max lines on battery) and it needs a good charge via battery charger. While you are in there make sure your battery terminals are tight. If it fails after that you probably need a new battery or (highly unlikely) charging system repair.

Good luck,
Dolllar Bill

PS - The oil light should come on when you turn the ignition on and go out after the bike starts. Its a "systems check" feature.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aright cool. I don't have a battery charger, but I can grab one tomorrow. I'm gonna need one for the winter anyway, or so I hear. How exactly do I go about hooking the charger up? I don't have the manual for the bike

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Check out the sticky at the top of the Kawasaki Forum. That may have a manual for you.

This spring, my battery was low. I put the charger on over night and it's been fine ever since.:)

The charger usually has at least two settings. Take the lower one. I believe mine says 2 amps?

I hooked it directly to the neg and pos. terminals. Black on neg. Red on pos.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean, I know the basics of jumping/charging a battery, I just don't know how I access it on my bike. I think I it's under the seat. I'll have to check out the manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O nah, i didn't mean it like that. I appreciate the help. I actually had to just jump my car a few days ago. I just never had to access the battery on my bike before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Block-Rider: don't use a trickle charger and leave it attached to your bike all the time. It produces way to much current and will boil away your battery acid. Use something like a "Battery Tender", which costs about $35, and is made to top off your battery and maintain a charge with very little current. I have one attached bo my bike and use it every time my bike is parked in my garage.

BTW must bike charging systems won't charge the battery at idle. You must be running at higher RPM's to actually charge it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK....GOT THE BATTERY TENDER AND I'M READY TO CHARGE THE BATTERY. I JUST CAN'T FIND HOW TO ACCESS THE BATTERY ON THIS BIKE. I CAN'T FIND THE MANUAL ON THE KAWASAKI WEBSITE OR FROM THE LINK ON THAT 'STICKY' POST. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET TO THE BATTERY ON AN '03 KAWASAKI ZX6-R (636) NINJA???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually got everything worked out. It's up and running. Just needed a charge. APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S HELP AND ADVICE!

**I'll be back tho..with more questions. lol. i know it.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way......but find someone to show you how to safely and correctly operate your motorcycle.

If your riding this machine on the streets you should know more than you do.

For instance opening the choke with the battery charger attached....will do nothing.

The choke closes off air to the carburetor....you use the choke to enrich the air fuel mixture to allow the bike to start easier.

Find someone to point out parts of your bike to you....what to look for and how to operate it.

If you dont know where the parts are then how can you be doing a safety check on your machine before riding off on it?

For example....

Whats the recommended tire pressure, is it correct and how often do you check it?

Oil level...where and how do you check it?

Suspension settings...are they correct for you and the load on the cycle?

Brake fluid.....whats the level and what does the fluid look like.....how about the pads and brake lines?

Fork oil.....is it leaking?

Etc

Personally first off I would check the charging system on your bike....if its not at fault I would keep an eye on that battery and possibly just replace it as a pre-cautionary measure....good chance its the original battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think his thinking was to raise the idle speed, thus increasing the charging rate to the battery? But definatly I would always recommend keeping a battery tender hooked up. I cant tell you how many calls I have gotten about peoples charging systems being bad, when all it was is a under charged battery...

-Marcus

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, but using the choke to increase RPM would cause other problems like fouled plugs. Besides, motorcycles charging systems usually don't charge at idle but only at the higher RPM of actually riding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts