Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2005 Honda Rebel 250 and although I charge the battery frequently, I have had several instances of it dying, or I'll get to my destination after less than an hour drive, and when I go to leave later, it doesn't start at all. Charge the battery again, and it's good to go.

The battery in it is brand new. I'm assuming this is due to a bad alternator, but before I go replacing it I thought I would get a more experienced opinion: is there anything else that is likely to be causing this? Also, if I go shopping online for a replacement alternator, is it safe to buy a used one or would you only buy new?

Thanks everybody :)

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
You don't repair a bike by throwing new parts at it. Unless you feel VERY lucky.

You diagnose what is wrong, and DETERMINE what parts, if any are needed. For instance, a single loose connection might be causing your no-charge situation, rather than a bad "alternator".

Start by buying a voltmeter (or get one free at Harbor Freight with a $50 purchase of other tools) and measure your battery voltage, both engine off, and engine running.

A charged battery should show 12.6 or more. If the engine is runnign and alternator is working, at 2500 rpm you should show 13.4 volts or more measured AT the battery. If it's still 12.6, or down to 12.5 by now, your "generator's" not putting out.

So you check all the connections, battery ground to frame, alternator + to battery +, check the CONNECTORs to your , and check output DIRECTLY at the alternator connection.

If you have to take the cover off to get to the stator, then get someone more familiar with motorcycle electronics to show you how to test continuity/resistance on your stator windings.

To answer your question, electrical stuff, switches, motors, starters, alternators I always go with new or rebuilt, never used. Why put someone else's half-worn out part on YOUR bike unless you like replacing things twice. Or are too poor to afford new - and like I used to, hand rebuilt switches, etc.. Bikebandit.com has your part but it's TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE, I suggest eBay wher eyou can get a new set for under $99.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2005-honda-rebel-250-cmx250c/o/m151131#sch306855

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
How it feels your first day working on wiring....

Consider this: As long as guy on wooden (insulating) pole doesn't touch TWO wires at the same time, or doesn't have his leg or body touching the copper grounding wire found on most utility poles, he's safe to touch ANY wire.

I've seen video of guys rewiring service entrances (masts) on old houses standing on fiberglass (insulating) ladders leaning against the house, completely free to touch/cut/splice 220V lines. (provided they don't simultaneously touch the grounded, metal mast itself, or two wires simultaneously)

In my mind I know it's safe, but... I just can't do it. I wear rubber gloves. I'm chicken. bok bok BOK!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
There are plenty of components in your charging system. The alternator is definitely one of them but so is the wiring and the voltage regulator. If you just replace things one at a time it can get expensive. Either do the troubleshooting, if you are qualified to judge the results, or pay someone who knows how to do it. In the long run it will be cheaper than random replacements.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts