Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The way the helmet lock, and exhaust are positioned on my Ninja 500r, it is not possible to lock the helmet to the bike and not have it resting on the exhaust pipe.

Of course, after riding, the exhaust is too hot for me to touch -- is that a problem for the helmet too?

By the way, my helmet is the HJC RPHA 10 Evoke (not enough rep. to post a link)

I want to make sure I won't damage the appearance, or rigidity of the helmet by doing this.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
If it's hot enough to burn your fingers, it's hot enough to soften the plastic. If you can, use a bungee cord to pull the helmet up and away from the pipe. Or, move the lock.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Besides the plastic melted to the exhaust pipe and the ugly scorch marks on the helmet, the structural integrity of the helmet might be compromised.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"the structural integrity of the helmet might be compromised." this is honestly what I am most worried about, per your responses, I will look to move the lock somewhere else on the bike, or, lock it to something else on the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just carry mine with me. That keeps the birds from pooping on it.
That's what I have been doing until now. Will do that unless it just isn't possible if what I'm doing (in which case I probably shouldn't be riding my bike anyway ;))

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
If you don't want to carry it, and you don't want to strap it to the bike on its given helmet hook (or frame if it doesn't have one) then just set it on the ground next to the kickstand.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,701 Posts
Only if you don't like the helmet and exhaust pipes. You will be replacing both. I hang mine on the mirror.

·
Ace Tuner
2,699 Posts
If you want to lock it onto the bike, get a firearm cable type action lock. (Six~Ten bucks).
Some police departments hand em out for free.
You should be able to find someplace to lock it that's not near a heat source.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
And the little keys that come with those should fit easily on your ignition key ring so you don't lose it (no combo to forget)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
After fitting saddlebags to my Suzuki M50 the helmet lock was hard to use so I relocated it to the front mudguard. It's pretty easy to do, I'd recommend moving it away so the helmet doesn't rest on the exhaust pipe.

helmet1lores.jpg

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
If you really want to leave the helmet with the bike, check out the bar end locks that are available. I always carry my lid but if I wanted to leave it behind that is what I would do.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Here in Florida, which is a non-helmet state, the only time I've heard of a helmet being stolen was when it was of those very expensive full faced deluxe $400+ models.

I usually leave my helmet on my seat too, or swing it from the handle bar. If I'm in a helmet-required state and someone wants to lift a $40 worn out half-helmet that probably won't pass anyone's legal requirements, then they must be pretty desperate, so I guess they're welcome to it. I'll be a bit peeved, but I'll get another one.

I did have a pair of riding gloves get pinched. I parked in front of a cell phone repair place in a really bad area and left them on my seat. When I got done with the phone I went across the street and had a coffee and when I got back the gloves were gone. They weren't expensive but they had a fun graphic of skeleton hand bones on them. Crud. Well, in that area I guess I should have known not to leave them sitting about.

·
American Legion Rider
22,915 Posts
Thieves is one area I really wish the good Lord would do something about. Like hit them with lightening instantly. I have two cousins, the rich side of the family, that ended up in Federal prison for it. No dang excuse for it at all. They just thought it was fun. Low life worthless jerks that I personally would hit the switch if they'd put them in the electric chair. Thieves do much more to you than steal an item. They invade your personal space. That can affect some more than others. Just something swiped from a seat not as much as from your locked house though. Just depends. I'm still for 3 strikes you are permanently removed as in dead. Got no use for them.:mad:

·
Charter Member Black Bayou Basturds
380 Posts
Thieves have no particular motive(s) for stealing any thing....to some of them scum bags it's just sport...
Years ago I witnessed a beat down of someone caught stealing a helmet in New Orleans at the Jazz Fest....poor guy was having a bad day i guess because by the time the police got to him there wasn't much left to take to jail..... and again.... the helmet was an old worn out non dot skull half helmet....nothing to write home about

·
Registered
16 Posts
Spoil your head safety insurance policy. Try to lock your helmet on the back seat of your motorcycle. The hot exhaust will ruin your motorcycle helmet (regardless which brand).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts