Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Is it disrespectful or abusive, to take my HD Fatboy to work, and park it in that space that has been reserved for me, up by the side of the building, due to my spine problems and a Doctors note to the company that says that I should not have to do stairs? (The lower parking lot has three flights of stairs, to egress the building).

Should I NOT abuse that priviledge, but riding the bike and putting in that reserved spot?

I tend to be a bit self-conscious about parking the bike up there, feeling that it is rather presumptuous and arrogant of me.

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Your company has made a special parking spot available for you do to documented medical problems, and you don't want to use it because you feel it will be an abuse of something?

Do you just get up in the morning and look for stuff to worry about?

·
8,606 Posts
Whatever you do Soupy, lock the forks on your Hog!

I can't remember if your FB has the typical large, turnable ignition switch or not but just because you turn it to the off position and take the key out, the switch can still be turned to 'RUN' and your bike can be stolen.:frown:

I remember being in a group ride of my HOG chapter once and coming out of a long lunch meeting at a restaurant, approaching our Harley's and then showing at least half of them how their bikes weren't really safe even though the switch was pointed to 'OFF,' as all a person had to do---without the key in the ignition switch, was turn it to run and ride away on your scoot!:icon_mad:

I'm sure that EYE can explain the situation better than I can.

I know how you feel about your parking situation as I have had a valid Handicapped plaque for 20 years, rarely use it but sometimes I have to. I have never used it on a motorcycle because of the sneers and bad looks I'm sure I'd get for doing so--as in : "The nerve of that Guy parking a motorcycle in a handicapped Zone---if he's handicapped then how can he ride a motorcycle!!!!!!!" I'd be worried that some self righteous person would do something to the bike:(

Sam:biggrin:

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I can understand the soup man's question. People see a man with a reserved parking space, but that man riding a motorcycle. Many people think that if you have real back problems, or other medical problems, that you couldn't possibly be riding motorcycles.

How do I know this? I hurt my back fairly seriously while serving in the military. I am not disabled, I work for a living now, and will continue. But the injury has had lasting effects, mostly with pain. Occasionally I need to sit low for a few days. I do receive VA benefits and medical treatment on a regular basis. Somehow that makes some people feel I should not be allowed to live my life. I've had more than one family member tell me I shouldn't be riding motorcycles or ATVs. I even had one tell me to sell my F350 because it rides too rough.

But the worst one was one of my wife's uncles, who said I should sell my bikes, and if I didn't, I was just another government scammer collecting benefits for no good reason. To him, riding a motorcycle was a clear indication that I must be faking my injury.

To them I give a casual f-off and continue doing my thing. Soupy, you should do the same, regardless of what the ignorant may say about you. F-them.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
What people just don't understand in my case is that riding a scooter is the ONLY time I'm not in pain. They just can't get that through their pea brain. I have a handicap placard too but I feel the same as above, I won't use it with a scooter figuring some righteous person would knock it over to show me I'm wrong.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
No, but you should probably avoid the rolling burnouts when you leave work....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Your company has made a special parking spot available for you do to documented medical problems, and you don't want to use it because you feel it will be an abuse of something?

LOL agree ! Not abusive or disrespectful, use it !

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
On the big bikes with a security system, don't you just carry the FOB in your pocket so the bike will run, and the key in case you want to get gas?

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you never rode your Honda to work and parked in your designated stall? :confused:

Didn't get my "designated spot" until recently, after my Doctor gave me a note to give to my employer stating that I should not do stairs (there are three flights of stairs from the lower parking lot where I USED to park.

This is the same Doctor that had said, "if you can ride your bike, ride it!"

It isn't "sitting" that bothers me.

My wife has had a handicap sticker for our car since 2006, so I suppose I have an insiders perspective on the priviledge of parking in Handicapped spots. It's only being "concerned" that don't abuse the priviledge, is all.

By nature, I'm more concerned about others, than I am of myself. Call it a fault if you will, but I am that way, across the board.

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the big bikes with a security system, don't you just carry the FOB in your pocket so the bike will run, and the key in case you want to get gas?
Yes, my key fob is in my pocket, and I have a Security System on the bike.

Yes, I do lock the forks.

-Soupy

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I completely understand your concern, but I'd use it. There are way too many people, making snap judgements w/o even attempting to get the whole story.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
In our state, we can use the placards that you place on the inside of the car and also license plates manufactured as handicapped.

I saw one of those plates on a motorcycle. Perhaps you should get a permanent one and fly it proudly.

·
Registered
257 Posts

I agree with this. However, PEOPLE WILL WHINE about it because that is what some people do. You can't let that bother you, if you do, just park in the lower level and take the stairs as before and suck it up.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
I really doubt anyone will give it a second thought, other than, whoa, nice bike...

If they ask just tell them it has a custom orthopedic seat and the engine is tuned to vibrate at just the right frequency to massage your back....:coffeescreen:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"massaging" my back..........now THAT'S an interesting perspective!

When I had a meeting with the Boss this morning, I expressed my concern, and asked him what he thought. He stated that as far as HE was concerned, it was "fine."

So at Lunch, I rode in, and parked in my "near the building" spot. Then I sent an e-mail to the Facilities Manager (who keeps lists of all Registered vehicles that come on the property, and requires that we give him the information on any vehicle that might be on the property, and put my Boss, and HR on "Copy."

I heard no complaints from anyone..........

-Soupy

1 - 20 of 67 Posts