Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip to europe and the local bike shop claims I should buy my gear in the US because it's more expensive in Europe. I can't tell if they're telling the truth or just trying to sell me jackets. Given what a fuss people make about Italian leather, I'd have thought gear is cheaper in Italy than Pennsylvania. I'm also not keen on hauling more luggage through customs. How much have you all paid? Has anybody bought gear on both sides of the Atlantic?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I have bought most of my gear online and find great deals. Of course, it all depends on what you are trying to get. What is it you are looking for?

Also, whatever you buy there you will need to bring back, or ship home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need shoes, gloves, a helmet, and a jacket. I'm hesitant to buy online since it'll be the first time I'm buying gear and I want to be absolutely certain that it fits. Any idea whether that kind of gear is cheaper in the US or in Italy / Portugal?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I have never been to Europe...sorry :(

I went and shopped for all the gear l wanted, then bought it online. Saved probably half on most things, except the helmet

·
Registered
7 Posts
as Dodsfall said everything is generally more expensive in Europe. including European brand. This applies to cars, clothing, luxury goods, almost everything.

I'm originally from France and anytime I go back home I usually buy them all sorts of things.

last time I went to France I bought my mom 2 pairs of Levi jeans for 30 bucks each at a Levi outlet, the same jean was 150 Euro in Paris (about $180 at the time).

I also bought her some running sneakers for $70 instead of 130 Euros

I've even bought Diesel jeans for a cousin (made in Italy), a Louis Vuitton purse for my aunt (made in France), and Persol sunglasses for me here in LA for less than half their cost over in France.

In short, buy all your riding gear here. bring it with you, and if you have time before coming back here, sell it over there, lightly used it will probably go for the price you bought it for over here in the US.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fantastic advice, thank you tman! I'll definitely do that. So glad I signed up for this forum, you guys are great.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Of course there's always exceptions that prove the rule. I bought a pair of riding shoes from a site in Germany for $120 shipped and since they were coming to the US, I don't believe they charged the VAT tax, though I could be wrong. I couldn't find the shoes in the US under $200.

Buy wherever you find it the least expensive, taking into account the return, in case you need to make one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts