Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chrome is far more common on cruisers than touring bikes, and maybe it sparkles under the sun or in the glare of headlights.

Is this a safety benefit? Does it improve visibility, conspicuity, shininess?

I'm guessing not, since it's out of style on so many bikes which seem to prefer black, red, or silver paint.

:71baldboy:

·
V65 Junky
446 Posts
Anything that allows a bike and its rider to stand out in the sea of traffic is good.

I doubt chrome offers that visibility though.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if flares burning and shooting off my bike would be hi-vis.

Chrome is probably more visible than flat black.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
I would hardly consider chrome to be a visibility upgrade...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
No.
Nothing really counts as hi-viz. I agree that the yellow-lime jackets are helpful - but only for the cages who are actually using their eyes and looking through the windshield. Most drivers don't do both those things ... these days.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
dT is right about so-called hi-viz; I've spoken with many a rider who had flashing lights and bright paint and clothes, and still felt invisible.

On the technical side, chrome is not hi-viz because its reflections are what is called 'specular', IOW, you only see a light reflected as a small dot, not over a large area. True hi-viz reflects light over a large area, so it increases the apparent size of the reflector.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
On the technical side, chrome is not hi-viz because its reflections are what is called 'specular', IOW, you only see a light reflected as a small dot, not over a large area. True hi-viz reflects light over a large area, so it increases the apparent size of the reflector.
/\ /\ /\ THIS /\ /\ /\

Not to mention that chrome can be blinding if the sun hits it at the right angle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts