Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy I see occasionally at the local Harley dealer rides a 2014 Ultra limited, he is very happy with how it runs. He sees on other forums how much the cost of tuners are and wonders are they worth the money? He asked me with the cost of these tuners being so expensive are they really worth the money, i.e., are you getting much bang for your buck? He doesn't race and generally rides with a few friends when he has the time. He's running a stock pipe but would like something with a little more growl to it. Thoughts??

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
My vote is not to bother. The bike either runs well and does what you need it to do, or it doesnt. I,.for one, am totally done modding bikes to do something that they were not capable of (not including comfort/ergonomic items) Here is my story. I did a Stage One DL, air cleaner, pipes on my 2009 Ultra when new. The bike had issues keeping up in high speed traffic out West where I live and ride. Many of the freeways in Utah for example have 75mph speed limits and traffic is running at 80+, often up-hill. My cruise control couldn't keep up and I'd have giant semi-trucks barrelling around me. Similar on I40 in AZ. I went and had a PCV tuner installed, cams and a dyno tune. The bike had a ton more power but it was very costly and my mileage suffered terribly. I should have saved the cash and bought a different bike, which is what I wound up doing anyway. I sold that bike last year and bought a BMW K1600 GTL. That bike has power to spare, no issues now. The new HD's have a lot more umph and would probably fair better in the situations I described. The bike either works for your needs or it doesn't.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I think he should forget the tuner if he is satisfied with the performance. If he would like a bit more growl from the exhaust, get a pair of slip-ons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts