Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apologies for the bland post.
Does anybody know where i can look up the VIN of a 12 digit generation bike and get a vehicle history check? Paid or not!
All sites seem to require 17 digits.
It's a 1972 Honda CB350.... CB350-#######

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,453 Posts
No, I've never seen a VIN decoder for anything pre 1981, which is when the 17 digit number became standard.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Btw, you will have zero luck finding a vehicle history report for old vehicles.
On the decoder note.. yes i keep trying to find something of that sort, and I just keep concluding that there is nothing about the 12 digit numbers that is supposed to be converted. It's just 12 digits and that's that.

As for history.. What will the DMV find when they look it up? Nothing?

The bike i'm looking to buy has no title with it.

So all i've got to work with is the frame VIN. But i want to check that I'm not going to run into a complete obstacle at the DMV when i go to register it. I will be doing work to the bike for perhaps 6 months to a year before i even put it on the road. If i find out that the VIN shows something truly bad, i won't be able to hand it back over to the previous owner of course.

·
V65 Junky
446 Posts
In Ontario you need to have a notorized statement for the VIN when there is no title. It is pretty easy.

The numbers in the VIN correspond to production year. For example, 1 through 45 are 1972, 46 through 48 are 1973, etc. I have seen this CB350 info published in a book so it is available. Find a cb350 forum and ask.

·
Registered
319 Posts
No, I've never seen a VIN decoder for anything pre 1981, which is when the 17 digit number became standard.

The USA's insurance companies provide a free website to check VIN's for "theft" or "totaled" events. I've caught a lot of people/dealers LYING about "clean titles"...

Give it a try and let us know if it works with 17 digits:

(UPDATE)...Just remembered, I have a bike with a 17 digit VIN...the NICB site will take 17 digits...my bike came through clean:)

https://www.nicb.org/vincheck

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The USA's insurance companies provide a free website to check VIN's for "theft" or "totaled" events. I've caught a lot of people/dealers LYING about "clean titles"...

Give it a try and let us know if it works with 17 digits:

https://www.nicb.org/vincheck
As an insurance agent, I can tell you our systems don't decode older vin's. I'd suggest the OP check with the DMV and local police

·
Registered
319 Posts
As an insurance agent, I can tell you our systems don't decode older vin's. I'd suggest the OP check with the DMV and local police

My 17 digit VIN was from 1982...that's 37 years ago...NICB had records for it...it's worth a try at least.

Apparently, my case suggests, if a bike has been insured/registered within the last 37 years, the NICB is likely to have it in their database.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
My 17 digit VIN was from 1982...that's 37 years ago...NICB had records for it...it's worth a try at least.

Apparently, my case suggests, if a bike has been insured/registered within the last 37 years, the NICB is likely to have it in their database.
Anything 1981 or newer has a 17 digit Vin and will decode. 1980 or older will not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This site requires you introduce yourself as one of your first few posts so people know you are serious and not a hit and run type poster. Introductions found here ... https://www.motorcycleforum.com/forums/new-member-introductions.305/
This is the tool if you want to do VIN check, try it out here. I have been using it for almost a year now. It has been a miracle for me to use it freely. I purchased a used Honda CRV 2007, with so few parts changing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts