Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been under a lot of pressure at work recently with all the chaos going on in the world, the best medicine to clear my head as usual is a nice long ride. My wife felt the same way, and we came up with a plan to get a nice LONG ride in. Since we would be at least 6 feet apart and each in their own helmet at all times I guess we were practicing social distancing too. :)

Candy has not done a long ride in a year, after her knee surgery she has been working on rehabilitating the leg back up to where she needed to be. She also had never done a long ride in the cold, and some of the stories about my oh so cold Christmas day ride had her a bit concerned too. So we came up with a plan to make sure she was ready. Last weekend was a COLD morning, 25F, she planned out her gear and we rode a 3 hour dry run, she stayed warm and her knee felt great so the next weekend was go time, weather permitting.

Friday night we checked weather, it looked good along our planned route from New Jersey to Tennessee and back, low of 39F, high of 60F, with only a 50% chance of rain near the TN area in the evening and none forecast for most of the ride at all. We prepped and went to bed, confident all would be well.
Woke up at 0230 Saturday morning, weather was somewhat changed, there was 90% chance of heavy rain starting at 3 PM in that area. We looked it over, talked it over, and decided to move ahead..of course this did delay us and we got a late start at 04:25. Not a great beginning, but OK, it was 40F, cloudy but dry, good riding weather actually.

As usual something always seems to happen early in the ride, this one was no exception, but it was a pretty serious event. What happened was that we were maybe 50 miles from home, rolling down the road and we were discussing over the Sena sets that we smelled fuel..diesel to be exact. There were lots of trucks in the right lane, so that wasn't unexpected but it seemed excessive, like a truck with a poorly tuned engine. We passed a whole line of trucks, noticed the smell was stronger, then there was a LONG break in the right lane, with a single slow truck that had just moved into the left lane in front of us. Candy was in the front, she decided to take the right lane and punch up the speed to get in front of the lane hog, with about 1/2 mile to go till we would reach a truck in the right lane and have to move back. She rolled on the power, her 111 engine roared and as she crossed the center of the right lane her back tire broke traction, she got into a really nasty fishtail at 80 until she hit the far right of the lane and got it back under control !!!!
I was horrified watching this near disaster, I was in the left track and had no issues. As she caught her breath and tried get composed we both noticed helmets and windshield coated with fuel drops, and now we were coming up on that slow truck in the right lane! By now we had figured out what happened but had no real choice, she gingerly crossed the fuel soaked lane and we both made the left lane to pass the truck..as we passed it we realized he had a MAJOR fuel leak, it was pouring out and was coating the whole road with slippery fuel!!! Scary stuff!!! With this potential disaster behind us the rest of the ride should be easy!

We made a few fuel stops, took our time, no need to rush on a 1000 in 24 ride, then when we reached our turnaround point we took the time to find and pose by the famous Bristol VA-TN border sign..it's very cool, the border is State street, the main drag through town, and all along the double yellow are little brass plates with TN on one side and VA on the other. It was around 2 PM, we did spend some time riding around Bristol then decided we better head out when a few raindrops fell.

We started to head back and it started to rain, early! Light rain turned into heavier rain, and soon we were rolling through a pretty decent rainstorm. Checking radar showed that we could get ahead of it and did, but every time we made a fuel stop it caught up with us. Night fell, and the one thing I kind of hate is riding in rain at night, oh well, no choice now. No problems were had, but it's still a bit un-nerving to me, can't see well, can't count on good traction, and hopefully our fuel leaky friend wasn't in the area!

At our last fuel stop I took a look at the radar to find not only was it going to rain all the way home but there was a band of SNOW only a few miles behind us..it was 36F so i doubt it would stick, but that still was motivation to keep moving for sure, so much for taking a nice coffee and ice cream break that we had planned!

We rolled into our end gas station at 11:30 PM, 2 hours later than planned, got the receipts and headed home. I had to go to work at 03:30 so it was off to bed :cool:

Candy's knee was fine, no issues at all, so she is 100% back, the challenge of the ride was great for my mental state, I felt refreshed and ready for anything the next day at work, and best of all, pending verification of course, we both have another Saddle Sore certificate for the trophy wall.

Map Ecoregion Atlas Line World Land vehicle Vehicle Sidecar Motor vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Vehicle Mode of transport Transport Scooter Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Helmet Automotive design Map Screenshot Font Technology World

Reactions: Rollin' and bpe

·
On The Road Again!
4,221 Posts
Holy ****! The leaking truck story had MY butt cheeks tightening up!!
Glad she survived that!

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
A leaking truck is something I’ve encountered as well. I see the signs of them all the time but only went across one fuel leak myself. I didn’t get squirrelly because like you I could smell it then spotted it. And instead of accelerating I pulled in the clutch and coasted my way through the stuff. Cars were thrown a mist of the stuff everywhere though and it took forever to get the stuff off my windshield and helmet. So glad both of you are okay. That could have been a nasty disaster. But now there are 2 crazy riders out there going for these patches and awards. If I was younger I’d meet you halfway to help you get another. But I’m doing good right now just to get a little 90 miler in. Got to go get a MRI Wednesday so we shall see what’s going on and what they suggest. My primary has instructed me to have a surgeon or two ready. And I’m going wait hold the phone darn it. He’s convinced that is in my future. I don’t think they will risk it because all they’ll do is fix one area and create problems in another. But the MRI should help make that decision. The crazy part is I’m back to moving around without pain now. It just doesn’t last long enough for an all day ride. 30 miles and I start feeling everything getting tight and then the pain hits. And no amount of moving around will stop it once it gets going. Congratulations you two.
(y) (y) (y)

Reactions: mike721

·
On The Road Again!
4,221 Posts
I wasn't as lucky as Candy a few years back.
I had just banked into a right turn here near my house when the front wheel of my little Honda 90 hit some diesel fuel and down I went. Luckily I wasn't going very fast. Broke a mirror on the bike. Wouldn't have been any damage to me at all, except....I was headed to the pharmacy with an empty prescription bottle in my right front pocket. I landed on that bottle and shattered it, driving pieces of plastic into my thigh.
That hurt!
Since then, I carry NOTHING in my pockets when riding.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
The only thing slicker that diesel fuel on the road is diesel fuel and water. Congrats on your dual ride, do they have a patch for that?

Stay safe Mike I know you are in the middle of it all at work.

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I was thinking how much worse a little water would have made the situation.
Nope, we each will get our own certificate and patch for the ride, no special stuff for 2 people on the same ride.

Thanks, and yes, it's definitely 'interesting' in the world of air travel right now.

The only thing slicker that diesel fuel on the road is diesel fuel and water. Congrats on your dual ride, do they have a patch for that?

Stay safe Mike I know you are in the middle of it all at work.

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Verified and certificate received!
On to the next adventure... which is unfortunately on hold for a little while at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rollin'

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
It would seem that right now would be the perfect time for yet another IB attempt given the lighter traffic. And congrats, AGAIN.(y) (y) (y)

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It would seem that right now would be the perfect time for yet another IB attempt given the lighter traffic. And congrats, AGAIN.(y) (y) (y)
Thanks. Candy sent hers in later, I suspect she gets her certificate next week or the week after.

I had plans finalized to do my first CC50 ( Coast to coast in less than 50 hours) for right around this time but that's on hold right now..it might wait till fall now since I really don't want to ride across the desert in the summer heat..though I could always time the hot parts for nighttime so that might not be a barrier, just a nuisance to deal with.

It would be great to do one with no traffic, but I really don't like the idea of being that far from home with everything closed, there might be real issues getting any kind of assistance or taking care of a breakdown. It's not even easy to find a bathroom around here, most everything is closed, might have to find a convenient tree. I'm not afraid of the virus, we have more of it here than anywhere in the country, but then again that makes me a potential carrier..better to stay local for now.

Certified rides are actually being discouraged by the IBA right now anyway, they put up a note on the main ride certification page...

Crazy times we live in.

Reactions: Rollin'

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really scary stuff she must have some skills to recover at that speed!
Yeah, she's been riding just about her entire life, she has the experience to do the right thing when it counts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
Mike that CC50 has to be killer. I did San Francisco to New York in 44 back in the early 70's with two drivers in a 70 Mach 1.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts