Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Visionary
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I woke up early in Jacksonville after #12, and it was time to decide what I was going to do for my next day.

I had a week, I thought about extending the ride, maybe finally heading out to the west coast, or back to the Black Hills, or maybe the Rockies, or I could just go back home, getting another SS1000 on the way.
I thought about it, but I decided that I just wasn't feeling like heading off on another unplanned adventure, I had learned a lesson the day before about not planning things well so I decided to head for the barn, I had some things I wanted to do at home anyway so this was a wise choice.

I packed up my stuff, programmed my GPS to home, ate a Cliff bar for breakfast and checked out, and got a gas receipt in a station a few blocks away to start the ride timer.
But then while I was still in the gas station I heard an odd sound, a rhythmic thumping, getting louder, I waited and watched as a car with one wheel totally missing the tire, just bouncing along on a smashed rim, came clanking down the road out of the rain, passed me, and headed out of town, leaving scratch marks on the road. Only the fact that it was wet kept it from leaving a trail of sparks. Apparently some strange things happen in Jacksonville beach at 0300.
I got rolling and headed the same way, passed my 3 wheel friend about a mile later and a few miles later got on I95 North.

This ride was uneventful, it was wet and raining lightly as I left but nothing like the deluge the night before, and the rain stopped by the time I was in Georgia. The temperatures were pleasant, the skies were blue, and I stopped for fuel and a light breakfast and headed North. I didn't want to take that awful backroads route again, which left me with either finding a better way to get from i95 to I81 in SW Virginia, or to just take i95 all the way or most of it at least, the GPS gave me a few options. I looked at them both and decided that I would try the i95 route, I had never done an SS1000 on i95 so this would be fun, I was wondering if some road construction that was now completed had helped the traffic situation in the DC area. I kept heading North, and as it got warmer I changed to my mesh gear and was VERY careful to stay hydrated and to eat some snacks, see, I did learn a few things at least on #12.

There is not too much to talk about this ride, it went smoothly, I even passed through the entire DC area on i95 without any major traffic, proving that i95 might be a viable route in the future especially in colder weather since it hugs the coast and avoids the mountains, but I was concerned that if I stayed on I would be going through Philadelphia at rush hour, which is not good idea even on a good day. I stopped to refuel and plan, and decided to divert into Maryland, then head over to I83 and use that to get me to Harrisburg and I81 to head home. This went smoothly and I hit no substantial traffic.

I did have a small problem though, this entire route was a shortcut, and I was going to end up nearly 100 miles short when I neared home. Not a big deal, I could just keep riding then head back, but I realized that the timing was working out for a rare treat, I could stop at home on the ride for a nice home cooked meal with my wife, then get back on the bike and ride the rest of the ride. There is plenty of time on a 1000 mile in 24 hour ride for this, it's not mad dash like a 1500 in 24 hour ride, you can take the time you want. A quick phone call to set it up and we had a plan.

I got home just as she finished the cooking, had a lovely meal, relaxed for a half hour, then headed out across the river into NJ, rode about 45 miles, got gas and a receipt to mark the corner of the ride, then headed back to a gas station close to home to finish up the Saddle Sore 1000 in about 19 hours.

This ride is also already submitted and verified and the certificate was received.

Map World Atlas Parallel Rectangle
Font Circle Paper product

Reactions: Eagle Six

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,410 Posts
If you stayed on 95 until Baltimore to pick up 83 then you passed within about 6-7 miles from me.

· Visionary
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you stayed on 95 until Baltimore to pick up 83 then you passed within about 6-7 miles from me.
I just looked and the GPS took me on 695 around Baltimore then I got on 83n near Timonium. It was a good route, a little slow but no real traffic.

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,410 Posts
95 before you got to 695 I forget that 95 goes straight and under the bay/river as I always take 895 the other tunnel going north.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts