Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ONLY affects SOME users of Iphone6.

Background: New girlfriend, lots of long phone calls. Albuquerque/Phoenix or Albq/Huntsville, me Iphoney6, her Iphone5. As phone calls progressed audio quality (starting out at medium) would get worse and worse as call progressed. Voices became muddy, muted, to inaudible within 10-15 minutes.

I could actually HEAR the signal being switched to a different, worse circuit with quick, major drops in Signal/Noise (S/N) ratio at unpredictable intervals.

Three phone calls and an email to AT&T later...(not limited to AT&T)

They had me turn OFF LTE (switch it to DATA ONLY) and reset something at the central office.

The CLAIM is that "Apple jumped the gun on hi-def (HD) voice BEFORE carriers could completely provision it, and as a RESULT, my phone was searching for towers AS FAR as 10 miles away capable of receiving/transmitting "HD" calls.

Result: In the FIRST phone call from AT&T's rep the signal/noise ratio went up significantly to a clear, crisp voice call. I have YET to make a half-hour long call and CONFIRM that the call quality does not continuously degrade to inaudibility. I'll report back later.

So if you've got an Iphone 6 and can't even HEAR your phone (sex?) partner after 10 minutes (Dad told me I'd go BLIND, not DEAF....)

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Is voice to text native to the phone yet, or is that still an over the air affair where the phone has to send your voice message off to some server to translate it into text which gets sent back to you and then can be used by you to text someone or write a note?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,847 Posts
If it is over the air it is quick. My 5s does it right now and displays it for my approval before sending. I would think the 6 does the same thing or better

·
American Legion Rider
21,231 Posts
It does seem like it's much improved with the latest OS upgrade. It used to take me longer to edit the mistakes than to just single key text.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is voice to text native to the phone yet
As an EE my GUESS is that the Iphone is "pre-processing" the audio extensively and then uploading condensed packets to some "Watson in the Sky" to do the contextual analysis -- replacing "seer" with "sear" if you use the word 'steak' or "burger' or "meat" in the same sentence.

Remember, even a lowly Iphone5c has MORE computing power than Los Alamos lab's CRAY XMP did 20 years ago...

Sometimes when you have a bad Internet connection you can actually SEE it come back and swap an entire phrase with a much more sensible one after a contextual clue is given..

"I asked him if he could see her mistakes" ...becomes

"I asked him if he could sear the steaks - they were ribeyes"

(I totally made this up to give u an idea; I can't remember any actuals - much more boring..)

I"d only give voice2text about an 80% rating, due to misspellings/misunderstandings. . At least 33% of the time you spend more effort correcting what it wrote than if you'd typed it from scratch...ASSUMING you have a keyboard - and type rapidly. Not having right/left/up/down ARROWS on the damn keyboard slows editing down significantly.

I drive past what USED to be known as a junkyard... thought I'd give 'em a call.

"SIRI... google ALCORN auto recyclers"

ACORN? no,

Google al-CORN auto recyclers

Alcoa Aluminum? no. A-L-C-O-R-N

AL See or In? No.

Going nowhere fast, I take a new tack...

SIRI - Google AUTO SALVAGE Huntsville

at which point I have to take my eyes off the road and SELECT Alcorn from a list -- assuming it's there.

SIRI / voice to text is SO much better than similar products (e.g.Dragon, IBM Naturally Speaking) were 10 years ago, I figure in another 5 it'll be in the 95% range...

it DOES learn your personal vocabulary and "Get Smart" er all the time. Would you believe Rib Chives stakes, Chief?

...Missed it by THIS much...

·
American Legion Rider
21,231 Posts
If you have a low pitched voice it's pretty bad still. If you squeak your command in your girly voice it seems to do much better.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
My 5s is great at it when there is a strong signal. In the afternoon in DC, when everyone is driving in thick traffic and on their phone to pass the time, it sucks.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
You mean my iPhone6 can be used to make telephone calls? I thought it was just for texting, emails, playing games, checking the weather, etc. Wow, its a telephone as well!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You mean my iPhone6 can be used to make telephone calls? I thought it was just for texting, emails, playing games, checking the weather, etc. Wow, its a telephone as well!
Yeah but since I'm constantly having to turn it off to preserve the battery life I'm thinking about getting an old Motorola flip phone just to leave on for phone calls

C

·
0 Posts
I have heard the iPhone 6+ has better battery life then the iPhone 6. I believe the iPhone 6+ has a bigger battery.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I was concerned about battery life with the iPhone6 as compared to the Galaxy5 that I gave to my son when I got the iPhone 6, but using one simple process I have found the battery easily lasts me all day and evening. Every once in awhile I make sure that pages that I opened are closed so that they are not all running in the background. That seemed to solve the battery problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts