Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, since I have started riding again, after 27 odd years, I can see a lot has changed...

One of the things that has changed much to my surprise is this, what I call "involuntary lane sharing".. I've seen this happen to other people as well as myself and I wonder how many other people experience this across this country and anywhere else and what if anything you do or say to these people..

This is what I am talking about if you haven't guessed:

You pull up to a red light and you are a little over to the left or right side of the lane... Then a few seconds later here comes mister cage driver.. He casually pulls up right next to you at the light, now sharing the lane about 2 feet next to you...usually a little ahead, waiting for the light to change.. I have to say this really pizzes me off... I have not said anything (that could be heard) yet but I have given them looks...

The even worse case, which I have also seen is when actually in motion on the road or even highway and the same thing happens and the cager pulls right up next to the bike in the same lane space, or slides over from the next lane.. (this blows my mind) The last time I saw this a guy riding a bobber and a small truck pulled into his lane space. The rider, without even reacting just slid over to the next lane, which was open..

So, does this kind of thing happen to anyone else and if so what do you do if anything... ?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ya, had it happen. Usually just let the idiot cager get in front of me. I'd rather have an idiot in front of me than behind me....

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Well, since I have started riding again, after 27 odd years, I can see a lot has changed...

One of the things that has changed much to my surprise is this, what I call "involuntary lane sharing".. I've seen this happen to other people as well as myself and I wonder how many other people experience this across this country and anywhere else and what if anything you do or say to these people..

This is what I am talking about if you haven't guessed:

You pull up to a red light and you are a little over to the left or right side of the lane... Then a few seconds later here comes mister cage driver.. He casually pulls up right next to you at the light, now sharing the lane about 2 feet next to you...usually a little ahead, waiting for the light to change.. I have to say this really pizzes me off... I have not said anything (that could be heard) yet but I have given them looks...

The even worse case, which I have also seen is when actually in motion on the road or even highway and the same thing happens and the cager pulls right up next to the bike in the same lane space, or slides over from the next lane.. (this blows my mind) The last time I saw this a guy riding a bobber and a small truck pulled into his lane space. The rider, without even reacting just slid over to the next lane, which was open..

So, does this kind of thing happen to anyone else and if so what do you do if anything... ?
Thus far it hasn't happened to me. But I imagine the response would involve a blaring of horn, and a fashionable display of middle finger, accompanied by highly audible incoherent rage screamed into the wind / their window. After that, well...we'll see where the day goes....

Actually, I was taught in my BRC earlier this year, that if someone tries to pass you, you should slip over to the left portion of the lane, specifically to discourage them from lane sharing. But at the same time, I would just hope that people with drivers' licenses would be smarter than that....

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
You have to remember, bigger has more road rights. Let them go and brush it off. And as someone has already said, it's better to have the idiot in front as behind.

I do use the whole lane though when riding. So anyone behind does see me all over the place. At intersections I weave big time just so side traffic can really see me against what ever background I have and when stopping I tend to move closer to the center of the lane so my feet don't come down right n top of the oil line area.

It doesn't stop the truly aggressive idiots but it does stop some. And I would rather have the super aggressive get the heck gone anyway. I have seen that kind pulled over getting and invitation or in a wreck. So sometimes they do get what they deserve. Not enough but some.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tend to ride the left side of the lane but maybe I should be more in the middle...

The last time it happened to me at a light I just waited when the light turned green for the moron to go... You could tell he was watching to see if I was going to explode into a hard takeoff but finally he went.

Then I had this idiot in front of me alright, (single lane) but of course he was in no hurry and it did nothing to make my ride more enjoyable having this guy putting along in front of me...

As a kid I would have flew by the guy shifting at 9K or so...

Every time some jerk pulls up next to me I see that scene from Easy Rider in my head... :eek:

·
8,574 Posts
I think this is a case of Cager payback for our lane splitting, which seems to pee them off. I have pulled up between cars many times at lights so that I can be first to leave and be "taken care of business---every day--every way." I got no time for slow cages:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I've seen a pretty big decline in this over the years. It seemed to happen a lot more often in my early days of riding on the street. Maybe I'm better at lane positioning now to help avoid this.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thus far it hasn't happened to me. But I imagine the response would involve a blaring of horn, and a fashionable display of middle finger, accompanied by highly audible incoherent rage screamed into the wind / their window. After that, well...we'll see where the day goes....
I've never experienced this either, and would drop my jaw to the ground if it happened at a stop light. What nerve, stupidity and/or arrogance. It certainly jeopardizes the rider's safety since it's unclear what should happen when the light turns green. We learned in MSF training that in general, you should be biking in the left 1/3 of the lane; not only to avoid the grease spot, but also to increase your visibility and "own" the lane. I guess in the simple mind of some cagers it does open up a spot to pull alongside, but you'd really have to be an idiot (or on your cell phone) to pull that stunt.

I have noticed a lot more cars with the yellow "watch out for motorcycles" bumper sticker. Glad to see that.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
What HC said. I also tend to wander all over my lane. Traffic seems to move away from me instead of getting closer. Lane positioning at the light makes a big difference.

I have been stopped and checked to see if I have been drinking. The laugh when I tell them what I am doing and tell me. Well you got our attention,

I only do it in heavy traffic.

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
I've often wondered if folks think I'm drunk too Critter. All I know it works. I've seen too many starting to pull out and then seen the nose dive and the rear pop up.

BTW, cops like seeing the nose dive when watching for speeders. They may not even have their radar on but if they see that they know you were speeding and will stop you. I learned that talking to one at breakfast one morning. Somehow we got to talking about speeders. Thought is was funny myself cause I've seen it where I'm doing 5 over and a guy slowly passes me, we both see the cop, he hit's his brakes, I don't and he gets pulled over. So yep, they do watch for that nose dive.:D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Cant you just pull into the center of the lane when coming to a light? I know its not optimal to ride there but it keeps others out!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
Well you do want to stay off the oil line that is dropped in the center, especially at lights and stop signs

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
Yeah, the center isn't too bad except with light rain. Then stay away for sure.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I've never had cars pull up next to me at a light. Motorcycles do, but thats usually just to chat. I've had ONE motorcycle pass me in my lane, at speed, and that still irritates me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts