Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This keeps telling me I need to introduce myself,,, but then doesn't tell me how.
I live in Northern Michigan where it gets cold with lots of snow most years, although this past winter was pretty mild for us. Currently have three bikes, but am going to sell one this spring I think. Too many for my garage.
I basically joined this group in order to get some information about the discontinued speed sensor on my 2002 VTX 1800 C and if anyone has run into this problem and what did they replace it with. Dealerships just say they can't help me.
I do all the work on my bikes,,, but of course I've always worked on my vehicles and related equipment.
I'm no expert,, but pretty good at following the "book",,, and I generally buy a repair manual for everything I own.
Plus I watch U-Tube videos before I begin a project. Where were all these great videos 20 and 30 years ago, wow, times have changed.
Thanks for letting me join, still not sure this is what's expected of me, there is no "introduction" button.

Attachments

·
Visionary
4,976 Posts
Thanks and that's a great introduction!
Welcome from Pennsylvania, we had a weird winter, snow very early, then good weather in the middle, then snow again at the end.
Good to see another person who does all their own work, me too. I even got a tire machine last year so I can mount our tires at home.
I don't know a solution for your speed sensor, maybe you can get a used one from ebay or someplace like pinwall cycles..a bike wrecking yard that sells used parts online?

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,750 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks and that's a great introduction!
Welcome from Pennsylvania, we had a weird winter, snow very early, then good weather in the middle, then snow again at the end.
Good to see another person who does all their own work, me too. I even got a tire machine last year so I can mount our tires at home.
I don't know a solution for your speed sensor, maybe you can get a used one from ebay or someplace like pinwall cycles..a bike wrecking yard that sells used parts online?
Thanks! I have tire changer too,,, but doesn't work so well when the tires are cold, especially these tires with the stiff side walls. I finally leaned the tire against a heat register in the house and cranked the heat for a couple hours. LOL!
I've been checking for used sensors, no luck yet. Very upsetting that Honda hasn't done anything about this,, like they expect us to what? Throw the bikes away and buy new ones??
A pulse is a pulse, and I'm thinking I'll buy the one for the 2004 and modify it to work. Would have to splice the old plug to it,, and measure the distance from the mounting flange to the magnetic pick-up ,,,, but I'm thinking it should work.
Anyway,,,I'll figure something out. Thanks again,,,,,,,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome from Kansas!

https://www.partzilla.com/product/h...Bl48Q7GaprR6Ngl-QnA5_fET_67fMsfgaAqcoEALw_wcB

Under fitment, this shows two different 2002 vtx 1800 models. It it different from yours? Shows 3 in stock.
Hmmm,, yup, that's Partzilla and I've actually communicated with them. They do not have the sensor for the 2002 which is a one hole mounting flange. All they have, and everywhere else I've checked so far, is the 37700-MCV-003, which uses two hole flange and a different connector. It's a near 20-year old bike and they switched the sensor I believe in 2004, so trying to find one lying on someone's shelf is probably not going to be possible.
I'm still thinking that I just might order the newer style. That would be the correct reach to the gear teeth, made for all the other 1800's of succeeding years,,,and I can drill and tap for the second hole. What I don't know for sure is the "orientation" of the sensor to the gear. I read one thread where a guy mounted his new sensor, (the new style on a newer bike), with the wire lead pointed up instead of down, and he claimed the bike wouldn't run until he turned it so the wires were in the down orientation. I need someone to explain to me why this should matter. These sensors are Halo Effect and only have a cone of magmatism to read the teeth. Proximity would be important,,, but upside down cone?? I'm having trouble seeing where that should matter.
Thanks for the feed-back, I am still in the "hunt".

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,143 Posts
What is the Honda part number for what you actually need? That's generally the best way to search eBay or Google or anywhere, IMHO.

That's sucks that it's a design change and even though it's 20 years old, seems they'd still make it, they sold a boat load of those bikes.

Did oil get in yours? Have you determined it's actually faulty versus dirty(both the sensor and whatever piece it's reading)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey there,,, I believe the correct # is 37700-MCV-001. Another number that was given to me is 91302-MAL-601. Dealerships never carried these parts, they always ordered them from a supplier and so far the ones I've managed to get a response from say they sold their last one years ago. Not having any luck with salvage yards either, at least not yet.
When I read the code on the bike, it's #11 which is speed sensor, however I know that can also be faulty wiring, etc. I have checked the wiring at the sensor, and under the seat at the what-ever-it's-called unit there. No luck yet.
The bike runs great for a while, then after it get hot it will blink out when I'm feathering the throttle. Red light comes on, speedo drops to zero, and engine coughs with possible back-fire. If I blip the throttle it picks itself up and continues on down the road. I thought it was metal dust built up on the sensor, but it was clean. Quite the process to remove this sensor and I don't want to pull it again unless I'm prepared to replace it. Removal of coolant hose and tank, yada, yada. Pain in the proverbial ass.
I guess,,,,, (I don't wanna),, I should pull the sensor again and figure out how to bench test it. I think once it's activated I should see a response when I wave metal across it,,, or a magnet,,, or if I curse at it really loud maybe it will jump.
I'll figure it out somehow. Can't throw the bike away, LOL!

·
Registered
2015 custom/ modded Yamaha R3
809 Posts
Hi buddy. If only they had yt back in the day, instead of those crazy, oil absorbing paper things. 🤔

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
668 Posts
Hey there,,, I believe the correct # is 37700-MCV-001. Another number that was given to me is 91302-MAL-601. Dealerships never carried these parts, they always ordered them from a supplier and so far the ones I've managed to get a response from say they sold their last one years ago. Not having any luck with salvage yards either, at least not yet.
When I read the code on the bike, it's #11 which is speed sensor, however I know that can also be faulty wiring, etc. I have checked the wiring at the sensor, and under the seat at the what-ever-it's-called unit there. No luck yet.
The bike runs great for a while, then after it get hot it will blink out when I'm feathering the throttle. Red light comes on, speedo drops to zero, and engine coughs with possible back-fire. If I blip the throttle it picks itself up and continues on down the road. I thought it was metal dust built up on the sensor, but it was clean. Quite the process to remove this sensor and I don't want to pull it again unless I'm prepared to replace it. Removal of coolant hose and tank, yada, yada. Pain in the proverbial ass.
I guess,,,,, (I don't wanna),, I should pull the sensor again and figure out how to bench test it. I think once it's activated I should see a response when I wave metal across it,,, or a magnet,,, or if I curse at it really loud maybe it will jump.
I'll figure it out somehow. Can't throw the bike away, LOL!
Welcome from the Missouri Ozarks!

I'm a motorcycle instructor, but not much of a mechanic. I even bought lunch for two students when one changed out a clutch lever that the other had broken in class ( it was his GF, so naturally I had to treat both of them. :giggle: ) Anyway, when my students have trouble getting our class bikes into neutral ( bikes that have dedicated their " lives" to teaching students to ride), sometimes I just have to give the obstinate bike in question a dirty look and then it goes into neutral just fine.:rolleyes: So you may want to try that on your sensor. ;)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,880 Posts
See that didn't hurt did it? Welcome to the forum, good luck in your search.

Reactions: Rocket Ronnie
1 - 15 of 15 Posts