Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I'm 61, new to this forum and am looking for advice for a first motorcycle. I have been riding my Piaggio BV 350 scooter for several months and take it all over the place. But I have not ridden a regular bike outside of the MSF class (although I drive a manual-transmission car). Do you think this scooter experience counts for much? Most of the basic beginners' bikes have less power than my Piaggio, so I'm afraid I'll get bored immediately. I'm leery about buying a pricey bike and dropping it. I like standards (the Triumph Street Twin is my ideal), but most of the starter used bikes in my area are cruisers and obviously lack ABS. Any suggestions?

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Welcome!
I've never ridden a scooter but I'll still give you my opinion.
I think you'd be fine on a Triumph street twin if your confident on the scooter.
Here is why;
You said your confident on the Scooter, and looking it up it's not a small one, it's a fairly heavy machine at 375 pounds, close to a mid sized motorcycle. You rode a standard bike in the MSF class, and you drive a manual car so the shifting will come back naturally to you. The triumph is not a big heavy bike, it's reasonably light at 450 pounds and nimble, just be careful until you master it at slow speeds, tight turns, those are where it would be nice to have a cheap beater to practice on, but with some caution I think you'd be OK. There is of course some risk of dropping that pretty new bike but i think with your experience it's reasonable.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!
I've never ridden a scooter but I'll still give you my opinion.
I think you'd be fine on a Triumph street twin if your confident on the scooter.that looks like a decent sized one, 375 pounds, close to the weight of a mid sized motorcycle.
Here is why;
You said yoru confident on the Scooter, and looking it up it's not a small one, it's a fairly heavy machine at 375 pounds, close to a mid sized motorcycle. You rode a standard bike in the MSF class, and you drive a manual car so the shifting will come back naturally to you. The triumph is not a big heavy bike, it's reasonably light at 450 pounds and nimble, just be careful until you master it at slow speeds, tight turns, those are where it would be nice to have a cheap beater to practice on, but with some caution I think you'd be OK. There is of course some risk of dropping that pretty new bike but i think with your experience it's reasonable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your advice. That's the direction I've been headed given that I'm really comfortable riding in the city, suburbs and even on the highway. I hate to buy a bike I don't like. Maybe I'll install crash bars just in case!

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
crash bars can hurt you, they make the bike heavier and really mess up your frame in a crash sometimes. Engine guards can be simple and light. (plastic or carbon fibre)
Just ride and have fun.

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Thanks so much for your advice. That's the direction I've been headed given that I'm really comfortable riding in the city, suburbs and even on the highway. I hate to buy a bike I don't like. Maybe I'll install crash bars just in case!
Yeah, a set of crash bars might be a good idea.

·
Ace Tuner
3,769 Posts
Welcome from Texas, Houston area. :)

Does anybody make 'frame sliders' for that bike? Crash bars might be helpful.
- OR - You could just go ahead and scratch the tank with your key so the next one won't hurt so much... (Kidding, kind of). ;)

S F

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,328 Posts
Welcome to a great Forum Steven!

Yes your Scooter experience will very much help you!

I currently have a Suzuki Burgman 650 and I have had MANY scoot's in the past and LOVE them. Your BV350 is one of my favorites!

Honda makes some bikes from 700-750cc with the Auto transmission, with a low center of gravity and great performance and excellent fuel economy.

Have fun and be careful!

Sam:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts