Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyall.
I was suggested the idea of giving an introduction. So here’s what i got:

I’m Jake. I’m 24, and I’m from St. Louis. I work as a paramedic. I’ve only got about 8 months on the job, but I still have my fair share of stories about burnt corpses, GSW’s, and exploded heads. (HMU if you want to be grossed out!)

I’m looking to move to Houston/Galveston before I turn 26. (I can’t stand the Midwest winter anymore.)

I’ve owned a low powered dirt bike, but never had a proper motorcycle. I’m looking to get into cruisers or adventure bikes, or both! Just gotta find my right first bike. Not interested in sport bikes, I hate the seating position.

I find the TW200 exceptionally beautiful, and I love the 80’s styling. The Honda Rebel is also stunning. The 2020 Goldwing in black is absolutely amazing, but I’m not ready for 750 ibs of bike. Or $30k cash lol

That’s me. If you need any medical advice, or just have random questions about what I do; feel free to ask.

·
American Legion Rider
23,188 Posts
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us😁

And thanks for the introduction. We all appreciate it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum Jake. So you are a paramedic and still want to get a bike? :)
Yeah, it doesn’t scare me. If anything it makes me more comfortable, because I understand exactly what will happen in the event that I do eat pavement. Also, I‘ve had a lot of practice sliding across asphalt on my longboard, without any gear on. I’ve rashed my head, my chin, my elbows, knees, shoulders, and the left side of my abdomen. My chin needed stitches because I went down face first on that fall. Surprisingly better than sliding on my bare head though! That was my least favorite!
Road rash is brutal, so I’m gonna probably be a full suit guy. Needless to say, a helmet as well. Our helmet law just got lifted, and now I see everyone riding without them. I can’t really complain though, it gives me more trauma to work with! Lol

I’m not looking to tease the reaper, but I’m fine taking the risk. I think riding will be a positive thing for me.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Heyall.
I was suggested the idea of giving an introduction. So here’s what i got:

I’m Jake. I’m 24, and I’m from St. Louis. I work as a paramedic. I’ve only got about 8 months on the job, but I still have my fair share of stories about burnt corpses, GSW’s, and exploded heads. (HMU if you want to be grossed out!)

I’m looking to move to Houston/Galveston before I turn 26. (I can’t stand the Midwest winter anymore.)

I’ve owned a low powered dirt bike, but never had a proper motorcycle. I’m looking to get into cruisers or adventure bikes, or both! Just gotta find my right first bike. Not interested in sport bikes, I hate the seating position.

I find the TW200 exceptionally beautiful, and I love the 80’s styling. The Honda Rebel is also stunning. The 2020 Goldwing in black is absolutely amazing, but I’m not ready for 750 ibs of bike. Or $30k cash lol

That’s me. If you need any medical advice, or just have random questions about what I do; feel free to ask.
My wife is from Houston. She tells horror stories of the heat and humidity down there. To each their own :)

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
2,475 Posts
Welcome from Kansas!

·
Shadow Moderator
1,237 Posts
Welcome from northeast Ohio. I'd say your paramedic experience puts you near the head of the class, so to speak. But gearing up is only part of the game plan. I wear ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) but my number one plan for preventing injury to myself is two-pronged: 1) learn and continually practice the basic skills (braking, weaving, cornering), and 2) practice situational awareness (always watching out for other vehicles, animals, other hazards that may decide to violate my path of travel).

Good luck with finding a bike you like and with your move to Houston. Welcome to the fun!

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I love the heat. Missouri has pretty terrible humidity as well, but it doesn’t bother me.
It gets above 85 here and I have a hard time, and it's not even humid here. I would never choose to live in a hot weather. But I'm weird. I go camping in the snow and I love the rain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome from northeast Ohio. I'd say your paramedic experience puts you near the head of the class, so to speak. But gearing up is only part of the game plan. I wear ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) but my number one plan for preventing injury to myself is two-pronged: 1) learn and continually practice the basic skills (braking, weaving, cornering), and 2) practice situational awareness (always watching out for other vehicles, animals, other hazards that may decide to violate my path of travel).

Good luck with finding a bike you like and with your move to Houston. Welcome to the fun!
Thank you for the advice, sir!
I‘m still working on situational awareness in my day job, aka; operating an emergency vehicle. It’s a lot harder than I thought it would be! I’m starting to pick up on driving patterns that give me clues about what another vehicle is about to do, but it can be hard not to space-out on the highway during a 30-45 minute trip. If I screw up on the job, I could very easily kill the patient and my partner; (who 99% of the time is unrestrained back there. We never wear seatbelts in the box.)

With a motorcycle, I would probably remove some of the margins for error by planning out my route to avoid peak load times for busy roads, and to remove confusion from the ride. I‘ve found that I’ve made almost all my dangerous mistakes on the truck when I was confused about where I was going. I found myself having very close calls with the reaper because of late decisions to turn or to take an exit. I‘ve blown a stop sign in north county that I only realized later could have gotten everyone killed by offcoming highway traffic, all because I was freaking out and focused on figuring out where the hell I was!

So just going to utilize a system of preparation to ensure safety, knowing my past and current challenges in my career and using those as a guideline.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It gets above 85 here and I have a hard time, and it's not even humid here. I would never choose to live in a hot weather. But I'm weird. I go camping in the snow and I love the rain.
Like everything in life, it just takes time for acclimation to a certain type of weather. I got to the point this summer that I was able to sit outside for hours on end in 90-95 degree weather with moderate to high humidity. It just took time to adapt slowly to the heat. I also like rain as well!

Granted, I have bad sinus issues with the cold. So I doubt I could ever acclimate myself to winter weather. I’ve never had a winter where I didn’t feel miserable for most of it. I’ll miss fall colors though. October in the Midwest is wonderful!

·
American Legion Rider
23,188 Posts
I’m not looking to tease the reaper, but I’m fine taking the risk. I think riding will be a positive thing for me.
Before I became a volunteer firefighter I got to witness first hand what brains on asphalt looks like.
Many think surviving a crash but being crippled isn't a choice they would make. But I know for fact
I wouldn't be here if I didn't wear my helmet when I crashed in 012. It's a choice everyone should
have. I totally disagree with mandated helmets.
What part of Texas are you from? 😊
Take a look at my signature.

·
Visionary
4,439 Posts
Welcome from the great state of Pennsylvania and thanks for introducing yourself.
I personally would stay out of Houston, occasionally I go there for a few days for work and it seems like it's always hot, humid and wet, but on the bright side it's never been snowing. :)
Of course if you happen to like heat and humidity then feel free to ignore my advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts