Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My name is Jack. I live on Long Island, New. York. Originally from Pittsburgh (go Steelers!).
Currently riding a '98 Moto Guzzi California EV11. Some of you may not like the color (orange and yellow), but it's a classic from MG. It's known as HDM (hot dog & mustard:smile_big:). I started riding when I was about 13. I'm now 66. Growing up I had the usual Japanese bikes. Started with a Kawasaki 125 dual purpose, moved to a screamer...the famous Yamaha RD350 and finally a little Honda cruiser, CX500.
Then a family came along and I sold everything as I did't think it fair to my wife to have to care for me and kids if something happened. Well, the kids are grown and my wife gave me some $ a few Christmas's ago and told me to get another bike. I guess she saw me looking at E-bay every night and realized that I still had it in my system.
I decided that I wanted something different and was leaning towards older vertical twin Triumphs. My neighbor happened to invite me to a Tuesday night car show in Oyster Bay, NY (about 10 miles from my house). For those of you that don't know it, that's where Billy Joel has his open garage/museum. Well I didn't look at any cars that night and spent the evening in Billy's place. I was expecting to see if crammed with Harley's, but to my surprise, had a lot of everything and more Moto Guzzi's that I could have imagined.
Weil, I wanted something different, and I decided that if they're good enough for Billy, they're good enough for me. A few weeks later I found the California only a few miles from my house. I bought it a few years ago, did the normal things that you' do with a new/unknown purchase (tires, oils etc.) and got it on the road.
I've been very pleased with it as it is very strong. The only issue that I have, is that as I'm getting older, I should have considered the size and weight and what I would be doing with it. I love the bike, but if I can sell it for a reasonable price I would like to get something smaller and lighter. I'm really interested in the Triumph Street Triples.
But until then, I'll keep cruising on my MG.
Thanks for taking the time to read my story and allowing me onto the site.
Ride safe everyone!

·
American Legion Rider
25,911 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

Other members do like to know they are welcoming a real person so thanks
for letting us know a little about yourself.:smile: Normally just a few more
posts(count of 3) and the rest of the site will open to you. This is the sites
spambot control. Unfortunately it is needed today. But you have to make 15
posts before you can post pictures. Right or wrong it's considered a privilege
to be able to post pictures. Unless you use Tapatalk which somehow
gets around that restriction.

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us:grin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hogcowboy,
Thanks for the welcome and information about posting. in today's world it certainly makes sense.
cheers,
Jack

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,500 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jack

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm in love with the Triumph Street Twin. Looks wise. Haven't ridden one yet though.

Welcome. I bet it feels good to be back in the saddle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi GGB100,
I'm most concerned with weight. The weight of the Street Triple is what really caught my eye. In fact, I'm actually more interested in anything 2016 and older as they increased the engine size from 675 to 765. I don't need the extra HP.
Off the top, do you know what the weight of the Street Twin is? I'll look it up, but just thought I'd ask since you recommended one.
cheers,
Jack

·
On The Road Again!
4,191 Posts
Aw c'mon Jack. I'm almost 70 and I just LOVE my 905 pound Goldwing!
You're only as old as you feel.
Just remember:
We don't stop riding because we get old.
We get old when we stop riding!
Have fun out there, Jack!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts