Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Interesting story, Porky. It sounds like he did everything he could to plan his trip. Even admitting to being a novice. 500 miles a day is not that big a deal these days, and it sounds like he did a pretty good job packing accordingly. But he ASSUMED the weather would be good. And he pushed back his departure time.

The biggest mistake, to me at least, was riding the wrong bike for that kind of trip. I don't know anything about the Africa Twin, but it seems to me that the bike was the wrong choice for a trip like that. Personally, I wouldn't attempt any 500 mile or more trip, on anything less than a 750cc bike. Just by the looks alone, the bike doesn't appear to be very comfortable beyond a couple of hundred miles. But that's just me. Maybe the kids think that's the new road bike these days.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Africa Twin is a 1,000 cc, parallel water cooled twin adventure bike and fully capable aside from just a tiny fairing that doesn't protect much from the elements or rain. 500 miles for a novice is a bit daunting:surprise:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts