Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting observation today. Was out riding for several hours today in north central Illinois and south central Wisconsin. Started out wearing a textile mesh jacket in addition to gloves and a half helmet. Waved to tons of riders and got very few waves in return. Then I stopped and put the jacket into the saddle bag, and continued riding with just a t-shirt (but still wearing gloves and helmet). Now I got tons of waves. Do some riders have something against a rider wearing protective gear? Seemed weird.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting observation today. Was out riding for several hours today in north central Illinois and south central Wisconsin. Started out wearing a textile mesh jacket in addition to gloves and a half helmet. Waved to tons of riders and got very few waves in return. Then I stopped and put the jacket into the saddle bag, and continued riding with just a t-shirt (but still wearing gloves and helmet). Now I got tons of waves. Do some riders have something against a rider wearing protective gear? Seemed weird.
I have something against riders NOT wearing gear

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,456 Posts
Some? Sure. But I think your test/sample was skewed. Living in Las Vegas I ride year around and put on about 12k miles per year. Some riders wave while others don't. I don't find it brand or motorcycle type specific but for some reason when I'm in AZ those guys rarely wave... I dunno.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
25,915 Posts
I think your observation is screwy vito. Do you test your fuel mileage based on one tank fill up? Did you put the jacket back on and get the same no wave observation? That would be the only true test and it sounds like you did just one side and developed a one sided observation. Not everyone waves anyway. That's a fact observed by many riders.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have worn leather in the spring, fall and winter, and textile in the summer for the last two years and never noticed a difference in the amount of waving. Sometimes many waves are done, other times not so much. I will say I can see why some folks stop doing it because on bike-heavy days, it gets to be a bit tiresome...

Reactions: vistavette

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Most people wave at me no matter what bike I'm on or what I'm wearing. :)

My most "what the heck?" moments when out for a ride yesterday were two guys. The first guy was in a high vis jacket and definitely had some riding pants...but no helmet. Second guy had a helmet, jacket, and gloves...but was wearing shorts and sandals. Priorities! lol

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I know the answer. All the Wisconsin people waved, because we're awesome people. All the Illinois residents didn't, because, well, FIBS are not great people.

:D Kidding of course. Just some friendly interstate rivalry. I think it's pure coincidence. I know there are idiots that wave based on bike brand, but I've never see it because of clothes worn.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Most of the time I will wave. Don't really care what you're riding, it only matters that you're riding. What you're wearing is none of my business. Its your choice.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That I fully understand. I draw the line at pink backpacks!

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
229 Posts
Today on the way to the liquor store on my lunch break, I got a wave from a dude on a cruiser. On the way back to work, two sportbike riders did not wave to me...then again I didn't wave to them. Perhaps I should have! :angel:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know the answer. All the Wisconsin people waved, because we're awesome people. All the Illinois residents didn't, because, well, FIBS are not great people.
This.

Just kidding. Kinda...

When I ride on the interstate in SE Wisconsin, few people wave. Not entirely sure why, because on other multi-lane roads people <i>do</i> wave. Not sure why's that's the case, but it is. In a lot of other places, people on the interstate wave, too. Just the interstate around here is some sort of "no waving" zone... Pretty weird.

As you know, the weather around here has been **** for riding until very recently, so I'm sure many riders are getting back into the groove/knocking off the rust - more focused on the bike than usual. Less likely to notice other riders right now so aren't waving?

·
American Legion Rider
25,915 Posts
When it comes to interstate highways, many don't wave when there is a physical divider of some kind. A large grass median or a concrete barrier. That's my observation anyway.

Reactions: mike721
1 - 15 of 15 Posts