1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Looks like a Spyder "transformer".

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Good concept, for the two-wheel impaired, but they need to remove a lot of the ugly, IMO.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think the key is obviously not the appearance, but the fact that it leans thru turns, kind of like a hybrid between a regular two wheel motorcycle and a conventional trike. They probably won't focus on appearance until they get a better handle on the engineering and design.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
I really wish Honda would make a snowmobile. They could base it on the Neowing. And they could call it........ wait for it..... a SNeowing.:biggrin:

No seriously, I really do wish they would make a snowmobile.
:71baldboy:

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I happen to like the styling unlike all you old fuddy-duddies. But I see there's no accommodation to a pillion.

I'm sure Honda has seen Goldwing sales being lost in increasing #'s to Spyders, and this is their response.

It clearly states HYBRID on the side of the thing, and a hefty motor/generator is visible behind the engine. If this thing has batteries, it's going to have unbelievable acceleration when you combine motor and engine for take-offs.
Electric motors typically develop FULL torque at zero RPM unlike internal combustion engines. Combining the two can make for some serious burnouts and superb fuel economy.

The massive brake disks front AND rear speak to a very high level of performance.

Whatever this thing ends up being I reckon it will NOT be a wimp!

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
The further you get from lady like curves, the closer you get to fugly.
George on my Island makes leaner three wheelers, with an electric motor in the front wheel. Also pedals in the normal manner.
Same George of world record bicycle top speed fame.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
It's all a matter of taste Wade. I'm not offended if someone like's that style, go for it. It's just not for me. I'm glad you like it.

·
Visionary
4,615 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority too but I like the look, that angular styling appeals to me for some reason. I find this especially odd since I personally ride and like cruisers and chrome and smooth classic looking bikes and this couldn't be further from that. The comment about it resembling a transformer spyder hit close to the mark...there is something in the style that reminds me of Japanese cartoon inspired giant robots etc.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
To me it looks like a hybrid between a Can-Am Spyder and a Piaggio scooter. Its more bike like than the Spyder, with the wheels much closer together, but gives the 3-wheel stability of the Piaggio. I went on a ride last year with someone with one of those scooters and he had no trouble keeping up with the admittedly low speed ride, leaning rather than steering the three wheel scooter in the turns. It was also cool how he did not have to put his feet down when stopped.

I'm 72 and not even thinking about giving up riding a motorcycle yet, in fact I am thinking of getting a new and even heavier bike next spring. But if and when I reach the point of not being able to handle two wheels, I would much prefer something like this concept Honda to a traditional trike or even a Cam-Am which is as wide as a car.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Believe it or not, my wife says she is now leaning the Spyder to make easy turns. That she only steers on hard turns. I've watched in my mirrors and she is kissing the handlebars on almost every turn. She says she is much less tired at the end of the day. For what it's worth.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
It seems each year the Cam-Ams get bigger and loaded with more features. I expect soon they will offer a special four wheel model, with a steering wheel instead of handlebars, side by side seating, and a roof to protect occupants from the weather. But if they can actually lean (which I didn't know they could do) that is something that keeps them bike-like rather than car-like.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
I think it's just a weight change more than a lean myself. And that we know will make a directional change. You put enough extra weight onto the left wheel and it will go slightly left. Sometimes enough to make a nice easy curve with little or no input to steering.

·
10,756 Posts
I would like to try one, but not own one. My wife on the other hand would like a bike that she did not have to worry about at a stop.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts