Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when searching for my first bike I came across a 95 Honda vlx it is now 2019 and in the state of Texas the bike is considered and antique and does not need a safety inspection.
so the question came to me what insurance do older bikes who cost a few hundred dollars use?

personally I would go with something like the minimum of just liability and when a problem comes id just fix it when my two thumbs yanno.

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
I have Progressive. I have three older bikes insured with them, liability only. It costs me about $200 a year for all three.
Of course this will vary depending on where you live.
In New Jersey, a bike is a antique if it is over 25 years old.
Two of mine qualify. The newest one, my 99 Goldwing has five years to go to get my antique plates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I got quoted 77$ just for liability for the year.
oh man I saw that application for the antique plates I'm tempted how does the New Jersey antique plates look?

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
It looks just like any other plate, except that it begins with the letter "Q" for a bike, or "QQ" for a car.
And it says "Historic" at the bottom of the plate.
$77 sounds very good to me.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I also have Progressive for my vintage toys. Cost is = $20/mo per bike. :)

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
I also have Progressive for my vintage toys. Cost is = $20/mo per bike. :)
Is that liability only? Or comprehensive?
Seems rather expensive. That's $240 a year per bike!
And you have a lot of bikes!!
I'm paying $200 a year for all three of mine, not each.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Liability. Checked my policy, it's actually $15/mo. I don't keep all the bikes insured at once. I really only keep 1 or 2 insured at a time. Progressive allows me to change the covered bikes on the fly, which is helpful.

Of course, my rates largely suck because I'm young with a couple tickets from my dumber years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I just turned 21 this year and haven't gotten a ticket yet, but shoot speeding on a bike is so different I purchased a bike today and I was going 5-10 over a majority of my ride home.

( 2018 september i forgot it was 2019 haha)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts