Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been about 6 years since I had my last bike, and I'm kind of feeling the itch again. I've had a bunch of different bikes over the years, from vintage 125cc dirt bikes to 1100cc cruisers (I actually kind of miss the old Magna V65), though I've never had any kind of "sport" bike, and was thinking about going that direction this time. I'll also be buying brand new for the first time in my life, as I've gotten sick of buying someone else's problems, and I can afford it. I'd rather pay a few more grand and get something solid with a warranty that I don't have to wrench on.

I was looking at a Ninja 650r, and the local dealer recommended the FZ-09. While I really did like the the FZ, I'm not wild about a naked bike either. Told him I'd have to look into insurance rates, as I know sport bikes are typically more expensive than other bikes, but I was FLOORED when I got the quotes.

I currently have Geico on my two trucks and my sand rail, and thought it was pretty cheap, so I started with them. For full coverage, $1000 deductible on comp/collision, I was quoted $1500/year on the Ninja, and 3 GRAND/Year on the FZ. A buddy has Progressive on his bikes, and they quoted me 4 grand!. I didn't even bother to compare the super sport bikes, lol.

I'm a 34 y/o male, with a squeaky clean driving record and no claims. Is this typical costs on full coverage? I was expecting something like $500/year. I've never had full coverage on a bike before, as I always bought cheap "projects", and never figured it would be worth the cost.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
My Insurance is $130.00 for the year, and THAT'S with some "extras" like..........motel and food and towing coverage.

-Soupy

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I have a 2004 SV650S...virtually the same bike as the 650 Ninja. I insured it to the gills with a $500 deductible that goes down every year if l don't have a wreck, through progressive. My rate is about $73 a month. I'm 43 and have a clean record.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I pay $128 a year for full coverage including towing. This includes a 5% discount for passing the BRC.

Those that live in the north can expect better rates because the weather keeps many of us parked for a few months.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Valid point that I should have also mentioned. In Connecticut we get 10% off for having completed the BRC.

-Soupy
It will vary from company to company. I've heard some also give a discount for an instructor's certification, but my company doesn't offer it.

·
6,489 Posts
For me, it's around $300 per year and it doesn't really matter the type of bike I have and I've had and ridden them all from the BIG cruisers, 170 mph Sport bikes, Adventure bikes and touring bikes like my 2012 Goldwing. State Farm, who insures me, my home, my business, my vehicles and practically every facet of my life, looks only at displacement---as in cc's: Smaller engine; less cost-bigger engine; more cost.

New riders, with no verifiable insurance history, young and full of dumb (Joke) typically pay through the nose and it's due to the risk involved with insuring a young rider on a 'super fast' bike that according to statistics, are VERY likely to end up wrecking the bike, and hurting themselves and maybe others, in short order.

Last I read about this subject, brand new riders were like 90% more likely to end up dead than those that buy the same bike but have additional years of experience. You could GOOGLE motorcycle insurance accident statistics and find lots of stuff.

Young folks who typically have no credit history also pay very high finance charges compared to someone my age, with 'O' credit issues because of the risk of them just not paying the loan off and on time, especially if the motorcycle is wrecked.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I've been with Progressive for several years, and checked out rates with other firms just before buying my current ride, a 2013 Triumph Thunderbird bought new in 2014. My insurance is $451 for full coverage with a $500 deductible. Even though I ride a cruiser, I think the biggest factor in determining insurance cost seems to be engine displacement. My 473cc Silverwing a few years ago was $200 for full coverage; my 865cc Triumph America was $300. But the Triumph Thunderbird with 1597cc bumped up the coverage significantly. For what its worth, I checked out GEICO, Nationwide, and Dairyland before deciding to stay with Progressive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New riders, with no verifiable insurance history, young and full of dumb (Joke) typically pay through the nose and it's due to the risk involved with insuring a young rider on a 'super fast' bike that according to statistics, are VERY likely to end up wrecking the bike, and hurting themselves and maybe others, in short order.

Last I read about this subject, brand new riders were like 90% more likely to end up dead than those that buy the same bike but have additional years of experience. You could GOOGLE motorcycle insurance accident statistics and find lots of stuff.

Young folks who typically have no credit history also pay very high finance charges compared to someone my age, with 'O' credit issues because of the risk of them just not paying the loan off and on time, especially if the motorcycle is wrecked.

That's just it - I've had bikes before, and big ones at that, although I suppose it could be a deal of no recent full coverage on one. I'm not a young kid, my driving record is spotless, I have no claims on my insurance, and my credit is good. I was just shocked to be getting quotes of nearly half the cost of the bike for a year of insurance. I couldn't believe anyone would pay those rates, and it made me wonder how they could even sell new bikes if insurance is that freaking high! Unless it's a case of an awful lot of people just going without full coverage insurance.

Though I did run a few more bikes through the online quoting thing, and found that it seems to be really centered around the "brand new" aspect. Even going with a 2012 drops the cost considerably, which is an avenue to explore, though I was really looking forward to a brand new ride.

·
6,489 Posts
True story: I was at a local Honda dealer in my hometown in California and talking to the owner, who was a friend of mine. We discussed how the 600cc series of sportbikes like the Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda CBRR 600, Kawasaki Ninja 600, Yamaha YZ 600 and the like were very hot sellers and especially to young first time riders, who thought that a little 600 wouldn't be intimidating and sounds so cool with a 4 into 1 exhaust !!!!

So they talked Mom and Dad and maybe the Grandparent's into buying it for them and of course they were very happy until the Insurance companies got together with the Lender and looked at the kind of bike, experience of the rider and the riders age. Are you ready for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: 30 years ago, when this happened, the quotes were running $4,000 per year.:confused:

You see, the LITTLE crotchrockets are almost just as fast as the open class bikes and even then put out 100, instant on Horsepower.

What does this prove? Nothing, I just thought it was interesting because of our insurance discussion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can honestly say that when I got that V65, I made the rather faulty assumption that because it was "just a cruiser", that it would be no big deal to handle it...turns out I was wrong. Very wrong, lol. First time I cracked the throttle open wide on the freeway I about soiled myself....and I know the power can come on harder on the modern inline 4s, even the "little" 600s.

The biggest driving reason for getting into the sport bikes for me, is the handling characteristics, and seating position. I've always felt most in control of the bike when my feet are somewhere around directly below my back side. Years back when I had an old Suzuki GS350, I changed the handlebars to a motocross style, and often found myself wanting to put my feet on the passenger pegs on the freeway, which made me feel much more "connected" to the bike, and in control, rather than just hanging on for the ride.

I got on my Dad's Sportster once, with the forward controls setup, and got it around the block before handing it back to him. It just plain felt unsafe to me. This was also the case on every one of the cruisers I sat on at the dealer..I didn't even want to get it out of the showroom, much less test ride it. The seats sure were comfy though!

I really don't have any desire to get into the "big" rockets, I know the 600 class is plenty for what I want to do (despite everyone always saying that I'll eventually want bigger and faster..."they" say the same thing about the 4x4s I'm into as well, and I have zero desire to run a truck on 44" tires down the freeway again as well :p).

I just want something with a bit of a sporty nature, with enough pep that I don't feel like I'm pushing it to run down the freeway at 75.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
l have your endorsement? It could be something simple like that...in Washington State if you don't pay a certain amount you endorsement lapses. When you get an insurance quote they run your license number. If you come up unlicensed, l'm sure that would double your rates right there. Also, you will get a break if you take a course within the last year.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
I'm going to make an assumption here, that the older the bike, the less the Insurance cost. Also affecting the cost of course is age, record, etc..

With CAR Insurance, I have noted a marked reduction in cost for an older car, than a new one.

-Soupy

·
Registered
245 Posts
State Farm quoted me 130 a month for my ninja 500. I laughed. Full coverage.

I ended up going with Allstate 50/100 coverage at 36$ per month at 21 years of age.

Search around!!!! It does not cost to ask for a quote.

Urban

·
So long
2,753 Posts
I'm going to make an assumption here, that the older the bike, the less the Insurance cost...
I thought so too, until I switched bikes in 2012. I went from an '02 Harley Road King to an '07 BMW K1200R Sport.

My insurance went down $75/year even though the BMW is 5 years newer! Both bikes had the same full coverage with State Farm. Both retailed around the same price when new. The BMW is a sport tourer with 163 HP, so I expected a higher insurance cost. I guess Harleys are stolen more often and that figures into it.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
A big consideration is all of the tupperware on a sport bike. If you drop one of those sport bikes and need to replace 2 or 3 fairing pieces stand by for some serious sticker shock. In case nobody else noticed, many sport bike owners like to prove they can stay with their friends so replacing tupperware is not uncommon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
l have your endorsement? It could be something simple like that...in Washington State if you don't pay a certain amount you endorsement lapses. When you get an insurance quote they run your license number. If you come up unlicensed, l'm sure that would double your rates right there. Also, you will get a break if you take a course within the last year.
At the moment, no, it's not current. After my last accident, I thought I'd swear off bikes for the rest of my life, and didn't renew it last time. Yep...hindsight and all that, lol.

I did think of that though too, and ran a few quotes with both claiming I did have the endorsement and saying I didn't. While it did make a difference, it was about a $200 difference on a $3,000 quote...as in $3,000 without the endorsement, and $2,800 with it.

I'm going to make an assumption here, that the older the bike, the less the Insurance cost. Also affecting the cost of course is age, record, etc..

With CAR Insurance, I have noted a marked reduction in cost for an older car, than a new one.

-Soupy
While this is true, it's nowhere near this big of a difference. I think it was roughly a $300 difference per year between my '05 Ram Hemi 1500 and a '14 Ram 3500 dually diesel last time I checked (which begs the question - is the new truck really cheap, or am I severely overpaying for my '05? :D)

But as I did recently notice, even going to a 2013 model drops the quote significantly from the 2014/2015 models, with another decent jump down on a 2012. Once I got down to around 2006 models, even the super sports were around $600-$700/year full coverage.

It seems far fewer companies do online motorcycle quotes compared to online auto quotes, so it looks like some phone time is in my future. I'm off work a couple days next week, so I'll spend some time then talking to some agents at different companies then to see what comes up. It may just be a case of perhaps just buying a used bike, riding it for a year or so to get that insurance history going, then stepping up to something new next year. Which, although I'm not wild about buying someone else's potential problem yet again, could well work out in my favor if I decide a sport bike really isn't for me after all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
A big consideration is all of the tupperware on a sport bike. If you drop one of those sport bikes and need to replace 2 or 3 fairing pieces stand by for some serious sticker shock. In case nobody else noticed, many sport bike owners like to prove they can stay with their friends so replacing tupperware is not uncommon.
Unfortunately, it seems that even at my age, as soon as I mention "sport bike", the first assumption many people make is that I either have a Ricky Racer fantasy in my head, or I want to be one of those guys that go stunting on the freeway. I'm sure that like many of the other stats used in insurance quotes, this too isn't without merit, and that people that say they don't intend to do those things AND actually refrain from doing it are likely the exception rather than the rule...hence the higher insurance rates.

But I did notice that the collision aspect is the one that's typically the big hit on the full coverage, though it really seems to be focused on the _new_ bikes, as opposed to older. I just ran a quote through Geico for an '06 ZX-6R, and got roughly $600/year for full coverage on $1,000 deductibles. If I go liability only, it's around $100/year for just about anything I've quoted. Which if I do end up with an older used bike, it's far more likely that I'll end up paying cash for it anyways and thus won't be forced into full coverage that financing typically requires.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts