Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like it's time to change Insurance carriers. But I don't want to switch based on price when the only reason to have insurance is getting a claim processed without hassle if you actually need to.

So with that in mind, has anyone actually used their insurance for a claim? I'm specifically looking for anyone that has used Safeco and needed to process a claim. I have Progressive right now and I know for fact they handle claims so smoothly you hardly know anything is happening.

So I don't want to give that up over a few bucks. Only this time for some reason my Progressive renewal has increase substantially. So I am out there looking and Safeco seems to be where my Progressive rate was so I'm definitely considering a change to Safeco. I've never ever used Safeco though.

But what say you on actually using your insurance? Any brand for that matter. You know where I am on Progressive. Two thumbs up basically.

Reactions: Porky

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
If you're happy with Progressive, shop around for some quotes from other carriers, let Progressive know you're out shopping and offer them a chance to match (or come close) to their competitor's quotes.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
If you're happy with Progressive, shop around for some quotes from other carriers, let Progressive know you're out shopping and offer them a chance to match (or come close) to their competitor's quotes.
This was along the lines of what I was thinking. Do you have a local agent to deal with or is it all online or over the phone?

I have a local independent agent that sorts through the BS for me to find me the best deals. They also know which companies are good to deal with and those that aren't so I don't have to find out on my own through a bad experience.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Use an independent agent, or do it yourself on line, or call companies direct, but do it. Anyone who doesn't shop around every few years will never know or probably already are paying too much. My wife is a health insurance broker and takes care of all things insurance for us. She speaks the language, I don't.:eek: But even with her connections, she'll call around or get quotes on line for the cars, house, etc from time to time.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this is the first time in almost 15 years I even started looking. Prior to that I bounced around. But I've just sat on this one for that long so I'm sorta in unknown land again. I was just shocked to see the difference in rates all of a sudden. And I'm not married to any one company.

I've just never heard anything one way or the other on Safeco. I see stuff all over on Progessive and Geico and some State Farm. Was just hoping someone here actually had a claim and would have first hand knowledge just how Safeco handles things.

I didn't even realize Harley dealerships use them. Since they still are that must me they are alright I would think but maybe not.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I've been extremely happy with Geico's claim service both when I hit, and got hit.

Their mobile app is nothing short of fantastic.

Supposedly I can scan a VIN tag directly and add a vehicle from the app, but in AZ for some reason I have to call the 800# to add a vehicle.

They answer the phone, unlike FOREMOST, who added a rider to my FARMER's policy..... they're no longer my carrier (After refusing to quote me home insurance because my propane tank was only 47 feet away from the house)

I still keep AAA "Premier" for towing (of both motorcycles and RV). in addition to car and bike insurance through Geico. Ask any tow truck driver, AAA gets your tow bills paid promptly, the others offer excuses, exclusions, mileage limitations, etc.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Progressive is great, especially if you have multiple bikes. I have their maximum discount (50% off each bike) and when I got my renewal this year every bike before 1996 dropped down to $23/year for full coverage (minimum liability and $250 deductible comp/collision). That's three of the five bikes I have insured with them, next year one more will join that rank.

I really can't come up with any plausible reason to leave them. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,908 Posts
Insurance

We get screwed in BC. Govt. monopoly.
Just for my info, could any of you folks get a quote for a 1983 Yamaha XS400.
Old fart, as in over 65, zero claims, all the licencing and experience required, no coverage on the bike, just $2 million opposition cover. Pleasure use only, in a safe zone.
I figure no one anywhere will be close to the $325- I just paid for one year.

We also do not get a break for more than one bike insured.

Unkle Krusty

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well, in Canada's defense...you guys have much higher liability minimums. If we had that kind of regulation down here it'd be the same rates you enjoy. At least your minimum liability might have a chance of actually covering the other person if you hurt them, Nevada's $15K per person/$30K total for multiple persons would BARELY get you admitted to the ER.

Once we increase our coverage, along with uninsured/under-insured, our rates go up significantly. I do that with my cages as they are far more likely to cause such damage over my bikes.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I figure no one anywhere will be close to the $325- I just paid for one year.
FWIW, I once called Progressive once asking for coverage on a (at the time) brand new 250 Ninja posing as a 24 year old w/clean record, the rate was nearly $2K per year...half the MSRP of the bike itself.

·
Ace Tuner
2,905 Posts
A several years ago a customer brought in a three month old GSX-R after a crash. Said he paid $12,000 for it out the door.
The crash estimate was a little over $5,000.
When we called the insurance company they told us it was near what they would total it at and wanted to be sure we found all of the damage.
Something to think about if you pay for full coverage.

I dropped the full coverage on my bike when my insurance company refused to tell me what dollar amount the bike would total at.......
Full Coverage Insurance on most Japanese bikes? Not me! :p

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Progressive can't even come close to Geico for me. The only thing that Progressive does is smack my credit rating with hard inquiries every six months since I got a quote from them once a couple years ago. Anything soros can do to keep people from having perfect credit ratings.

Geico just lowered my premium on three bikes by $20 a year and now I only pay $325 a year for full coverage on 2 bikes and liability on the third with $100 deductable. Progressive wanted over $600 a year for less coverage.

I get KBB retail plus mods if one is totaled or stolen minus the $100 deductible.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I'm not sure why there is so much variation in insurance rates for some riders in some places but so little variation for others. I have Progressive coverage for my 2013 Triumph Thunderbird, a 1600cc cruiser. Before renewing last year I got quotes for identical (or at least as close to identical coverage as I could figure out) from Geico, State Farm, Dairyland as well as Progressive. The quoted annual costs were ALL within about $40. So I decided to stay with Progressive for convenience.

As to claims, the only time I have ever submitted a claim was back in 2000 when I totalled my Kawasaki Concours and was insured with Dairyland. They paid me a fair amount MORE than the Blue Book value at the time, and very promptly as well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I dropped the full coverage on my bike when my insurance company refused to tell me what dollar amount the bike would total at.......
Full Coverage Insurance on most Japanese bikes? Not me! :p
Like I said, $23/year for the majority of mine. That includes a buck for comp and two more for collision. I can't even buy a non-standard fastener on my bike for that, it's pointless to drop that coverage.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I had a claim on my Victory when I low sided it and Geico handled it smooth as silk.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Currently have Progressive, but when my wife got in a major car accident three years ago we had State Farm. They were extremely fast getting us a check to replace the car. When the guy sued us for injuries, State Farm had our backs every step of the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys can anyone offer me some clarity? On insurance. So I’m a new rider, just bought a Yamaha ybr 12 plate on gumtree and passed cbt two months ago. My cheapest insurance quote is 1000£ ?? I’m 20y/o so my question is, if I get this insurance and at a later date (within 2 months) get my a2 license, will my current insurance reduce or would I have to wait until the next contract??? Also I live in London and will be moving out soon too for a while so would I contact my insurance provider and does that reduce insurance too ?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
We have a few English riders on this forum, perhaps one of them can answer your question. Our insurance structure is different here in the US.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts