Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
hope I can find some help here...

My 2003 Bandit 600cc got immersed in water in a flood here in Austin a year ago. I got it back running but my instruments wont work - speedometer/tachometer and digital panel.
I saw an used one for sale but my fear is that the problem might not be with the instruments, but somewhere else.
The lights still work on it - oil, neutral, signals and background...

Any good tips for me?

Thank you all!

Rodrigo

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I'm just taking a stab at this, but it might be possible to see if power is actually getting TO the instrument panel, just have to find the right wire and check for voltage there. That might give you a clue..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you cmonSTART.

there is power there, at least getting to the lights and background light...
will check the wires individually as you suggested...

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you say the instruments dont work,are they digital or analog but firs I would check all fuses and relays,need to be more pacific with what dosent work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Sippi1234...

The speedometer and the RPM clock dont work, as well both digital panel - what includes clock, fuel level, and mileage.
all the lights work - background light, turn signals, oil, neutral...

I opened the cluster and saw there is a good bit of rust around the small eletronic components, so I decided to order a new-used cluster...

Thank you and cmonSTART for suggestions!

·
American Legion Rider
18,625 Posts
You do realize that every single connection point on every single wire will be a future possible problem don't you? Even if you are lucky that a new cluster will work now. That's why insurance companies "total" even just days old new cars. The only true fix is a complete and total tear down and rebuild using, possibly, even and new wiring harness. Corrosion and rust is the enemy of electrical systems. And you'll have the potential of a boat load of that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you hogcowboy...
this sounds like a very good warning to me.
I will study the possibility of substituting the harness as well.

Thanks again and best!

Rodrigo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts