Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever done this? Just wondering how time consuming it might be and if I should worry. I'm pretty good with directions and downloaded the carb re-jet guide from vstar1100.com.

Here it is if anyone needs it: add 3 www's to vstar1100.com/1100jetting.pdf

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is actually quite easy. You are going to have to drill out some plugs to get to your mixture screws, Be careful where the shavings from that process go. Doing the carb changes is the easy parts, putting it all back together is tough.

As far as the time: if you've never tore your bike apart before I would plan on about 4 or 5 hours to do this. It takes awhile to get everything you need off and back on again. The exhaust shouldn't take more than an hour for a newbie although it's really like a 20 minute job.

Hardest part about doing carb work or engine work in general on the V-star is getting all the freaking air hoses back in place and getting your carb boots back on. It is very easy to think the boots from the air intake are on when they're not. Also the airbox to air filter hose is a mother.

Here's the trick: take your filter assembly off even it you don't need it to be off for the job you're doing, slide the hose over the airbox first and tighten that clamp! , then put the filter assembly back on. If your going to be doing any work like synching your carbs yourself, you'll need to get good at this. With a little practice you can get really slick and putting all this stuff back together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update

Ok peeps. I installed the Cobra Lo-Boy Shotgun exhaust and re-jetted the carbs with larger jets and new metering needles w/ spacers. It took roughly 9 hours as I took my time and didnt want to screw up. Plus I had to make two runs to town for more screws/bolts. I stripped the old ones out just like the guide said that I would do! I also took a 10 minute break for lunch. The hardest tasks were getting the throttle linkage off, and getting the carbs back in the bike. Other than that, only the frustration of knowing I stripped the screws out got the best of me. The hardest part of installing the exhaust was getting the heat shields on. Although it unnerved me that I had to use the stock exhaust bolts and gaskets. (Shame on you Cobra!!)

Once everything was put back together, I gave the bike a twice over and proceded to start it for the first time. It turned over for about 3-5 seconds and fired right up. Sounded amazing and idled fine. I test drove it yesterday due to it starting to rain after I installed everything on Saturday. There was no backfiring and ran it strong through all the gears.

It was a very interesting experience for me. If I can do it, anyone can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you like your pipes and bike? I'm looking at getting a 1100 with either Lo-Boy or slip-on slash cuts.
My V Star 1100 is a really nice bike. It's clean and rides smooth. I love my bike even more now that I have joined the big boys club by installing the pipes (w/ baffles). It has a deep sound. But not as deep as the 1450cc Harley's (obviously). I'm not jealous until I get around a bike that I can't hear mine over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts