Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am trying to install LED turn signals on the rare end. This is a Yamaha Virago 1100. It has only two wires for turn signals and the new LED turn signal lights have three wires. I have no idea about wiring. Can someone help me please!!

Thanks!

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The third wire is a ground. It should be attached to a ground point on the frame or other grounded part of the motorcycle.

The old light grounded through its mount.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,338 Posts
Funny man Oz. Hey Cmon may need your help with the BMW he has. Check the chatbox

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've read that installation of LEDs into turn signals is a pain, because they hyper flicker and may throw errors. That's the reason why I even didn't try installing them into any of my vehicles...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've read that installation of LEDs into turn signals is a pain, because they hyper flicker and may throw errors. That's the reason why I even didn't try installing them into any of my vehicles...
Forgot to mention, that sometimes this flickering can be fixed by wiring a load resistor into the chain. Just in case if you notice that flickering and stuff.

·
Visionary
3,378 Posts
It's usually easier to just change to a LEd flasher, then they work fine. Only a couple of bucks in the auto parts store.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,144 Posts
Shoot, I had to install an electronic flasher relay just to get my Goldwing's turn indicators to work again. The added reliability and versatility are simply bonuses. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The VTX 1300 I just bought has LED turn signals and they are hyperflashing. Any suggestions on this electronic flasher relay I need to get?

·
12,338 Posts
You will either need to install resisters in the lines to each bulb or get a flasher designed for LED lights. The just don't pull enough juice to let the flasher know that they are there, so it thinks a bulb is burned out.

·
Premium Member
7,360 Posts
I just put LED lights on the back of the XS400, only they don't flash. Regular bulbs up front. And I did not test them when the old rear lights were on. Ordering a new flasher unit soon. Have been riding the 400 at night in the nearby city. Thought it would be a good idea if folks new where I was going.

UK

·
12,338 Posts
I put a custom module on the Springer with the LED lights. It gives me turn signals, 4 way flashers and an extra set of brake lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts