Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of bikes have enhanced lighting in the front of the bike, and clearly that is important to help make sure drivers see you and don't pull out or turn left right in front of you. But many bikes have very limited rear lighting, usually just a single rear/brake light plus directional lights. Yesterday I had the dealer install a nice addition to my bike: a license plate holder with LED lights on the top and bottom of the holder. When riding the LED lights are on, and add to the visibility of my bike to those behind me, and when I brake, the LED lights brighten, flash three times and stay on, then continue to flash three times and stay on, indefinitely as long as I am using either or both brakes. I feel a lot more comfortable now knowing that anyone driving behind me is much more likely to see me and stop or slow accordingly than if my bike was limited to that one rear light. If I can figure out how to attach a video to a thread I will record this new light system in action and add it to this post.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have done more research. The lights I go cost a lot more than the $30 for those in the link, but I just followed what the dealer recommended to me. Either way, its a good idea to add anything that makes your bike more obvious to the distracted, cell phone texting, make-up applying drivers all around you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I should have done more research. The lights I go cost a lot more than the $30 for those in the link, but I just followed what the dealer recommended to me. Either way, its a good idea to add anything that makes your bike more obvious to the distracted, cell phone texting, make-up applying drivers all around you.
This is what forums are good at. Spreading the word. :71baldboy:

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I re-wired my rear turn signals on one bike to take an 1157 bulb. I put red bulbs in them, so now they stay on low for an extra running light, and flash on hi to act as two extra brake lights. Lo-tech and cheap.

I'll get a Badlands run-turn-brake module for the Roadking eventually.

·
Registered
411 Posts
After following me one night, my son told me the back of my bike was crazy lit up.
Like Eye, I added extra turn signal housings with double filament bulbs with red lenses that act as running and extra brake lights. They look like factory additions.
I also have flashing brake light LEDs at the license plate.
I wrapped the upper tubes of the rear shocks with red reflective tape and added several red reflectors to the rear of the bike.

I wear a dayglo orange mesh vest with white reflective strips, several pieces of white and amber reflective tape on my white helmet that also has the G-Max safety light and a red reflector/LED on the upper center of the rear of my jacket.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
I re-wired my rear turn signals on one bike to take an 1157 bulb. I put red bulbs in them, so now they stay on low for an extra running light, and flash on hi to act as two extra brake lights. Lo-tech and cheap.

I'll get a Badlands run-turn-brake module for the Roadking eventually.
Your re-wire sounds like a good solution.

I had the Harley Auxiliary Brake Light/Running Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit - Part Number 69461-06D on my Road King. Came with 2 red lenses and is an easy wire harness plug in. I think it's about $70 now.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you are riding a Harley and want to get attention for braking or running lights, check out the BriteAssLites. I was given one as a gift and I know my brake lights were always seen after that. The install amounted to removing the OEM light and reflector and screwing on the replacement. The Lights even plugged into the original wiring very nicely.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
To Be Seen from the Rear is a Good thing have already taken care of that up Front to be seen better .. While my Victory has a pretty good size Rear Tail Light and Bright Brake Light am adding a Kuryakin aux Run/Stop to fit on the Saddlebags for extra visibility .. Pics to Come on the Rear After Installed ..

Front before with Single Headlight ..

Front Now with Aux Running Lights ..

·
Registered
144 Posts
It seems like the biggest payoff in improving visibility is in your lane position. Lights and reflective gear are helpful, but will have no effect if you are inadvertently hidden behind the vehicle in front of you, invisible to a driver wanting to make a left across your lane.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lane position is very important, as is the distance behind the vehicle in front of you. I often see bikes so close to a truck or mini-van or other vehicle which blocks oncoming traffic from ever seeing the bike. I generally like to keep a safe distance behind anyone, and I generally use the left third of the lane. I swing out when I can to make sure oncoming traffic knows I am there. If there is a possibility of traffic entering from the right, I occasionally move to the right third of the lane to increase my visibility to those vehicles. Sometimes the most dangerous situation is when a vehicle coming toward you is waiting to turn left, so that you don't see another vehicle coming up as well, hidden by the waiting vehicle. If you go to turn left you might be turning directly into the path of the second vehicle. I often sit and wait to make the left turn, until I am sure the path is clear, but I often see bikes just shoot through the intersection as they turn left, counting on there being no one else approaching the intersection.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I find it safer to take my time at intersections. A fast moving bike is (imho) more likely to be hit, than one that lumbers thru like an elephant on parade!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
475 Posts
I use LED directional and stop lights from Custom Dynamics. The brake lights are rigged with the "California flash"... four flashes and then steady.

Front I use a modulating headlight.

I saw a Victory the other day and when the rider braked, his brake light flashed once brightly, similar to what I've seen busses do. The flash is like a camera flash, very bright and attracts attention. Does anyone know whether that is something added to the bike or standard on Victory bikes?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Pachyderm Parade

I find it safer to take my time at intersections. A fast moving bike is (imho) more likely to be hit than one that lumbers through like an elephant on parade!!
Soup, I absolutely 100$ agree with you. I've watched hours and hours of motorcycles-getting-hurt videos on Youtube.

Traveling TOO FAST through intersections is #1. By a large margin.

Even if a left-turning cager is at fault, additional speed reduces the reaction time available to the biker and increases his/her stopping distance, as well as increasing the severity of impact --- Mv**2.

Other than perhaps annoying a driver behind you there's simply nothing to be LOST by slowing way down for intersections.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
... Does anyone know whether that is something added to the bike or standard on Victory bikes?
Flasher was added.

I have LED tail light from Clear Alternatives and a Super Flasher from Electrical Connection. I can adjust flash speed and duration. Right now I have it set to flash rapidly for about 1 1/2 seconds then stay on. I liked attention getting idea seeing it on the back of an ambulance.
My riding buddies say it's way bright even on a sunny day.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I saw a Victory the other day and when the rider braked, his brake light flashed once brightly, similar to what I've seen busses do. The flash is like a camera flash, very bright and attracts attention. Does anyone know whether that is something added to the bike or standard on Victory bikes?
That is not a stock feature but Victory riders in general are into upgrading and improving their bikes, mostly to make things work better, not just bling.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts