Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 Honda Shadow Aero and was thinking about adding an inline fuel filter onto the bike. But, after I took the tank off I see the tubing is 3/8 and all the filters I found are 1/4 or just a hair bigger. The only 3/8 i have found is to big to fit in the area under the seat so was wondering if anyone knows of a filter that will fit. (Gas tank had rust in it so was thinking of a second line of defense after the screen on petcock in the tank)

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
I would not be afraid to put a glass filter in. this you can put any combination barb you want provided it isn't too big as well. You can contact them and get exact measurements as I didn't see that level of detail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh that looks like it would work very well indeed. Thank you so much, I will for sure call for more details from them.

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,505 Posts
I put a 1/4" with that glass filter to replace an OEM on my Goldwing. As a plus my fuel pump went out and I figured that out by looking at it. In your case I think those are gravity feed, but could still get the same benefits, of seeing the fuel in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 07 Honda Shadow Aero and was thinking about adding an inline fuel filter onto the bike. But, after I took the tank off I see the tubing is 3/8 and all the filters I found are 1/4 or just a hair bigger. The only 3/8 i have found is to big to fit in the area under the seat so was wondering if anyone knows of a filter that will fit. (Gas tank had rust in it so was thinking of a second line of defense after the screen on petcock in the tank)
I have a 2006 Shadow Aero VT750C and used a Mr. Gasket glass inline fuel filter in the line from the petcock to the carb, it comes with several different sized fittings and mine used the largest one (3/8") , I don't know if it does anything more than the petcock screen, but it sure made me feel a lot better about having it there. Also, these type of filters are small and you can buy cartridges for them when they need to be replaced for about $8.00 for three. I got mine at O'Reiley's Auto Parts for around $12.00. This really seems cheap for the piece of mind that it gives me. Hope this helps.

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
Just remember if you start having fuel related issue it may be the filter. It doesn't take much to cause a problem even if relatively new. I've not confirmed this but read recently that water can cause a filter to be plugged. I don't really want to confirm it either. Just remember the filter should be the first thing to check with any future fuel problems.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts

Hey look, it has a Fuel pump :LOL: so much for it being gravity feed, just like all the other big V-twin bikes with a carburetor stuck way up high on the engine.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
You can get those glass filters at any autoparts stores. I beleive they element is treated somehow to not allow water to pass. Lowes has this exact filter in the lawnmower isle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts