Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

*** We all have seen and been affected by terrible pot holes and road conditions that aren't supposed to be there but the city, county or State doesn't seem to do the job that fuel taxes are paying them to do so here's my idea:

Whip that phone out and take a picture and identify the area, attach it to an email and send it to the applicable road dept, notifying them about it. CC as many people you know in the area and ask them to do the same! An email to a Barrister or your Assemblyman or Congressman wouldn't hurt either.

Winter sand, salt and pea gravel at intersections, turns and signal lights/ stop signs last for months until rain and traffic dissipates the situation that can put a rider down in a micro-second.

Who in the world came up with 'Tar Snakes,' all over city and rural roads that are not only very slick in the rain but almost as bad when the tarmac is HOT.

Ride carefully!

Sam:)

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
One of these days I'm going down just trying to get back into my place after the idiots grade the gravel and pull all the loose stuff out of the bar ditch making it like riding on marbles. I've requested they always leave one rout untouched but every no and then the grader we call the stupid kid, does both ways. So I'm stuck, either try to get back in or get a room at the motel right near the beginning of one of the roads. And it they by miracle actually add some gravel it's even worse. One of these days....

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
By the way, when I had my crash back 012, the S-curve it happened on was paved just as smooth as could be before I was released from the hospital. That's how fast they can do something when it looks like they might get sued. I wasn't even considering but they didn't know. And the ticket I got for reckless driving was dismissed too. Still to this day I think I should have been able to not wreck but they didn't know that. At 70mph in driving rain, yeah, I was at fault, but I think they saw law suit coming. All the truck drivers I talked to said that corner was so rough that they wouldn't go that route anymore. So yeah, they know when they should be repairing something and don't. It's a real shame it takes a law suit to get justice but it will never be enough for the pain caused.

Reactions: Porky

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts
I think the problem is there are only a select few that can identify a pot hole or other hazard.
The public are not qualified having only about 1/100th of the ability. So it takes 100 complaints to form a legitimate opinion.
An employee of the road fixit department, may also be non qualified. Some of them may drive along the same road daily. I would say it would take at least ten of them to form an opinion, but only three use that route. There would have to be an evening at the pub to get enough regular workers to go that way.
The guy or guys that fix the roads are qualified to assess the problem and fix the problem, but they are not allowed to do the first part. That job belongs to the guy with the spray can. If the supervisor gets word of 100 regular folk's complaints, or ten of the regular workers complaints, he may or may not send out the guy with the spray can. Upon hearing the spray can dudes report, he may or may not write a work order. What would fast track the whole operation, is if the mayor's girlfriend damaged her car in the pothole and threatened to go public. About being a GF on the side. Then the mayor would tell the supervisor to fix the pothole. Now the fixit guys can go to work. They knew all along the road needed fixing, but they had to wait for the natural order of things to happen.
The spray can guy, the only singular source of identifying a pothole, does not know how to fix a pothole.

For bike riders, even if you miss the hole, there may be lose gravel nearby.
On our Island, they repaired and repaved a stretch of road. They removed the old bumps, and installed new bumps of a more modern design.

UK

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually saw a brain dead MODOT worker shoveling steaming asphalt while it was raining into a pot hole full of water! How's that for job security:)

Sam

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
I actually saw a brain dead MODOT worker shoveling steaming asphalt while it was raining into a pot hole full of water! How's that for job security:)

Sam
He doesn’t care one darn bit. It’s just another day another hole. We have one that they’ll never fix. They patch it and in three weeks it’s back. It’s over a darn spring. It weeps water all the time. It can be fixed but not by throwing more asphalt on it. They’ll have to get creative on that one if they ever really want it fixed.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
97 CBR900RR, 98 GL1500C, 98 VFR800, 05 VTX1800
381 Posts
Poor taxpayers who have to foot the bill. New Jersey is just going to increase taxes to pay the settlement

1 - 7 of 7 Posts