Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, new to the lifestyle, and especially new to the riding lol. I'm 18 year old guy, 6'3 and about 190 lbs. I have ALWAYS wanted a bike, but don't wanna go in blind, especially since I'm gonna buy a used bike. Therefore, I was wondering if I could get some info on a decent bike for a beginner. What to look for, what not to look for. I'd like a Harley, but again I don't have any idea if that would be smart for a first time rider.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
There are the new Harley Street motorcycles that are designed toward the new rider, but it's unlikely to find a used one at this time.

There are plenty of other models that are similar and make great motorcycles to learn on.

I'd suggest starting with the MSF riding course. You don't have to have a motorcycle to take the course. (They are provided) Many states will waive the testing for your license with a passing score in the course as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, thanks! But I've been hearing something about engine size or something? I guess that's where my height and weight comes into play, is there a specific size that I should be lookin for?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
speaking to the size weight issue of the bike, the best thing to do is go out to every dealer in your area and sit on every thing they have, find out what "fits" you....with a cruiser the main thing is for you to be able to handle the weight of the bike more than the size of the engine...to a point, I started on a Suzuki Boulevard 800cc bike, I'm 6'2" and 400 lbs (I'm a well "rounded" guy lol) once you find something that fits and feels right at the dealers, start looking for one used....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got a 2007 Suzuki c50 as my first bike and while it is a bit wide and harder to handle than the 250's I rode on my training course I find it to be a good starter bike. And who wants to ride a 250? It has enough power at 800cc to get going and feel good to open up but not so much that seems too much for a new rider, actually I'm a month in and I am already thinking I'm going to want some more power after a while. I got mine for $2,800.00 so it wasn't a huge investment either, you won't find a Harley for near that price and get as nice of a bike as I have and it looks great.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Don't worry too much about cc's. What you really want is a bike you feel comfortable on. A good first bike should be something that fits you well. You want to be able to balance the bike easily, as learning how to balance is the first thing you have to master, so a lighter bike would be the best way to go. You're larger cc bikes will be harder to learn to balance as they are generally heavy. You should be flat foot (be able to put both feet fully on the ground) while you are sitting on bike. Once you get a few seasons under your belt, you will feel more comfortable and have more experience for the larger bikes. My friend started off on a 250, now she's driving a 1600...

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
First off: Take the Basic Riders Course offered by your local Motor Vehicle Department. It'll give you 10% off your Insurance on your fist bike, and will give you some valuable tips and experience on their 250cc bikes.

As for the bike itself, ........"yes" you want it to "fit" you. Try out a bunch, to see what DOESN'T look like a toy beneath you, (look in a window if you have to), and one that you can stay "flat footed" on, when stopped (which shouldn't be hard on ANY bike, for someone 6'3" tall).

The kind of "riding" you will be doing, has a lot to do with what you buy of course. If you are going to be going to the dirt track, you'll obviously want one type of sport bike; but if you will be traveling on highways, another type.

Long trips in your future (I mean SERIOUSLY long trips of a few hours or days), you might want to explore the Touring bike world.

Do you like the idea of leaning forward or sitting up (different bike styles)? Are you likely to have a passenger along later on? These are fair questions to ask yourself, as you plan your first purchase.

You will (as most folks do) acclimate to riding fairly quickly, (especially if you had any formative years on two wheels), and soon find that if you want to "stay with traffic," you'll need something with more power than a 250cc. (That's not to say that some folks will tell you that their 250cc is "enough," but it is not a bike that folks tend to "stay" with).

Once you take the class, I'd go no lower than a 750cc for starters.

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I want to back up Dodsfall's post. The first thing you should do is take the basic rider course. I know how exciting it can be to look at new bikes but your first priority should be learning to ride one and then deciding if it is really right for you. If you have ever looked over the used bikes in any multi-brand dealer you will know how very many of them were really never ridden much. Why is that? A 4 years old bike with 2000 miles is a travesty in my opinion. My guess is it was folks who really thought they wanted to ride but never really felt comfortable riding once they had a bike. I am going to say that you do not know which camp you fall into until you have at least taken the BRC and experienced real riding. After you do that, do you still feel the same? I did but many do not, as evidenced by those uber low mileage bikes. Once you have the BRC behind you is plenty soon enough to start exploring new rides. After that point definitely go out and sit on all kinds of bikes.
What feels good to you as a new rider? Can you easily reach the ground at a stop? Can you easily handle the power of the bike you are considering? These are all serious questions that only you as the potential rider can answer. That will get you a lot closer to your ideal ride than anything we can give you.

BTW lifestyle is a sales gimmick of HD, not a thing any real bike rider ever considers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts