Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this past Saturday I was in a wreck on my 3 month old 2002 Z650. I'm thinking it will be close to totaling it out once insurance does their thing. I was in the right hand lane on a street, and a car in the lane to my left decided they wanted to pull into a parking lot... problem is I was to their right.

Crankcase busted open, engine mount bolt was broken on one side. Piston housing had pieces broken off. Whole rear set on the shifter side broken off. Body panels messed up, etc.

I'm fine. :) My helmet saved my bacon.

What are some super motos or dual sports on the cheaper side of things? Say Under $6000 or so. My wife is about to enter her second trimester... going to have our first child!

I think the new Kawasaki KLX300SM looks cool, but I don't think they've hit dealers yet. I don't know a lot about this category of bike so I'm looking for suggestions.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,327 Posts
Out of curiosity. Looking back on the accident, would you have changed anything about how you were riding that day? And going forward, will this experience change anything for you as far as how you ride?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of curiosity. Looking back on the accident, would you have changed anything about how you were riding that day? And going forward, will this experience change anything for you as far as how you ride?

You know I've thought about this. I watch Dandanthefireman on Youtube a lot, who's whole Youtube channel centers around motorcycle safety. I was a firefighter for 5 years too so I've seen a few motorcycle wrecks and just vehicle accidents in general.

We had just come out of a red light and everyone was getting up to speed. My lane was going to merge in approximately 100 or so feet, so I was (from what I remember) focused more on getting ready to merge, and then realized "What is this person doing!" and by that time I couldn't react fast enough.

I am purposely asking about dual sports and super motos because of the slower speeds though. What happened to me could have happened on any motorcycle, but if my bike is totaled I want to get away from a sport bike and get something that I think I would find more fun at slower speeds around town.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. I'd think that you could find a used bike in the $6,000 range, in good shape, from a private party.
Good luck in your search for your next bike (and new helmet).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about your accident. I'd think that you could find a used bike in the $6,000 range, in good shape, from a private party.
Good luck in your search for your next bike (and new helmet).
Yeah, insurance already told me to send a picture of the receipt whenever I get a new helmet. I filed through my insurance as well only because the research I've done into the other company is... really really bad.

My company has already scheduled to pick the bike up from the police dept and go over it... I've barely heard a word from the other party. So we'll see how it all turns out.

There's a few dual sports that are under $6000 brand new. They're not fast by any means, but as I said I'm trying to get away from that with my first child on the way... which I'm still processing. :p

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
386 Posts
Glad you're OK!

Moving forward, work on good lane choice and lane positioning. On multi-lane streets, you get a lot of hazards in the right lane with drivers entering and exiting side streets and parking lots, parked cars, etc. Best to avoid it unless you're going to be making a right turn soon. Make sure to avoid riding in the blind spots of other drivers; that outside/passenger side blind spot, where it sounds like you were, is the most dangerous.

It's certainly a valid choice to consider another bike type, if you would feel more comfortable riding something other than a sport bike. But good lane choice, lane positioning, and being responsible with the throttle are essential no matter what kind of bike you ride.(y)

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,327 Posts
Glad you're OK!

Moving forward, work on good lane choice and lane positioning. On multi-lane streets, you get a lot of hazards in the right lane with drivers entering and exiting side streets and parking lots, parked cars, etc. Best to avoid it unless you're going to be making a right turn soon. Make sure to avoid riding in the blind spots of other drivers; that outside/passenger side blind spot, where it sounds like you were, is the most dangerous.

It's certainly a valid choice to consider another bike type, if you would feel more comfortable riding something other than a sport bike. But good lane choice, lane positioning, and being responsible with the throttle are essential no matter what kind of bike you ride.(y)
This is what I was thinking when I postes the question about the OP changing any type of riding habits etc.

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
322 Posts
The 2021 TW200's are a much better improvement over 2020 and previous models; and those start around $4699 msrp. You could probably find a used DRZ for under $6000 but those are always kinda risky to buy secondhand unless you do a really nice inspection on it. The 2020 Versys 300 starts at $5,499 msrp but since it's a year old you could most likely talk them down a bit. Used vstrom or Versys 650's can also be found around your price range, again just make sure it wasn't beat to hell in the mountains or something. Goodluck!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,958 Posts
Glad you are okay, but it does sound like you were in the blind spot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts