Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to the site, so greetings fellow riders :)wondering if I can pick your lovely brains?
I am Having a problem with my Honda vt600. when on high revs they stop working. strangley enough they still work when brake is depressed..(while revving)or when the bike is on idle.. all the loom wires seem to be in place. I thought it may have been a rectifier problem and bought 2 new ones, one from ebay and other for my specific model from Honda dealers.. this didnt solve the problem battery seems to be working ok after checking with mulitmeter.. has anyone had a similar problem, or have any iidea what the problem could be? really want to get bike sorted soon as want to use it to get my full licence.
thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
OK, which indicators? Turn signals, light panel, tach, speedo? Power failing at high revs sounds like vibration-induced problems, like poor connections at the battery, or the grounding system; like a corroded wire or wire end, perhaps where the big ground attaches to the engine at the frame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi sorry about being vague! It is the turn signal indicators that stop working. They go off completely until revs are let of. They will flash when the I apply the brake though.. Battery connections all seem to be in order, so I guess I should check the earth then?... Thank you for your input wintersol much appreciated :relaxed:

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Something must be messing with the grounds; the brake light switch in most bikes provides a ground to the bulb, and causing it to switch must be enhancing the grounds to the turn signals. What year is your bike? Before a certain age, the grounds were distributed through the metal frame, as Oldman implies. Newer bikes put ground wires in the harness; if you have one, check the wiring diagram to see how yours *should* be grounded.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
If this problem occurs with both the left and right turn signals, I would start by changing the turn signal flasher unit. It is a cheap device available at any auto parts store. What you have described is one of many symptoms a failing flasher unit can demonstrate.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
That's a feature on Ducati's. Maybe yours is just misadjusted, the trigger speed. Supposed to ignore "requests" above 90mph as lane changes at that speed, well, signalling is pretty superfluous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts