Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people ride rice burners on here, but I know a lot do not.

I'm looking for the good and bad or just preference of Indian motorcycle vs Harley. I'm pulling the trigger on one of them within 30 days.

I had someone tell me I'd have more people to ride with if I went Harley.....I mean really?

Bottom line is give me your honest opinions. Mechanical, looks, whatever, but in particular do you think there is a problem with Indian as far as finding peeps to ride with...

much thanks.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Wife and I are adding an American touring machine to our garage come spring. I have a smaller Harley now. It's been reliable and fun. So the natural selection was an Ultra Glide. But we also test rode a Victory Cross Country Tour, and the Indian Roadmaster.

The Roadmaster will be our bike in the spring. We went into the test rides of each bike with an open mind. For us the Indian dominated the categories we were most interested in. The Ultra a close second, the Victory a distant third. This is simply what you're going to need to do yourself. Watch for demo rides, or ask the dealer if they have demo models to test. You can take the word of other people, but until you ride them yourself, you won't know.

Around here Harley aggressively dominates the market. It's their home territory. If I asked random people what to buy the answer would be overwhelmingly lopsided for Harley, simply because there are that many fans here. But once we rode the Indian we knew our answer.

As for people to ride with, do you really want to hang out with people who will stick their nose up at you simply because of your brand? I wouldn't. That said, I'm seeing more and more Indians mixed in with Harley going down the roads around here, as Indian becomes more popular. I'd guess most people don't really give a crap.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My personal preference would be the Roadmaster. If you are long legged, or if you are a pretty big guy, you would find the Roadmaster MUCH roomier than the biggest HD, even the CVO Limited. The guy that mounts my tires has an older Ultra Classic that I ride from time to time. It's a beautiful bike and even with close to 200k miles on it, it rides and handles beautifully. But I am a pretty big person, 6'3" and 300# and I can tell you from experience, that there is no comparison to sitting on a Roadmaster compared to sitting on a UC. The Roadmaster is very roomy in seating position, floorboard position, handlebar reach and in every other way. After sitting on a Roadmaster, the UC feels puny. Not to say that Ultras are not fine machines, they are, but a big or tall long legged and long armed person would be much more comfortable on the Roadmaster IMHO. Either one is a HELL of a lot more comfortable than a Goldwing. One thing you should know is that the Roadmaster, and probably all big Indians, engine & transmission case make up that part of the frame. MC makers have been doing that for decades and it's a good design but I've heard a few people act like they were shocked to find that out after they had bought one. Paint, fit, finish, chrome and mechanical quality they are probably pretty well matched. I have never even sat on a Victory so I know nothing about them from personal experience.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I had someone tell me I'd have more people to ride with if I went Harley.....I mean really?

Bottom line is give me your honest opinions. Mechanical, looks, whatever, but in particular do you think there is a problem with Indian as far as finding peeps to ride with...

much thanks.
As was already mentioned, if someone won't ride with you because of the name on the gas tank, then that's their problem and it probably wouldn't be fun to ride with snobs anyway.

As for choosing a scoot. Take a few for test rides, choose the one you like best and ride the wheels off it. To hell with anyone else's opinion.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Ride what you want...they all have good and bad ��
^^^ There it is.

"Mechanical, looks, whatever, but in particular do you think there is a problem with Indian as far as finding peeps to ride with..."

Speaking as a Harley guy, I can tell you truthfully that if you choose a bike based on how popular you hope it will make you, you will never be truly accepted by anyone that's worth riding with.:)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Righteous reply Eye!

Get what you want. If someone doesn't want to ride with you because of the bike you ride then they aren't really worth riding with.

Harley, Indian, and don't forget Victory (love the looks of the Judge), they all make good bikes. And so do BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki, Triumph and Yamaha. And a lot of manufacturers I laven't listed.

Try to test ride whatever you can get your bum on, and make your own choice - don't make a choice based on what other people might think.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Agree. It's not about who wants to ride with you. That said, I notice that more Harley riders will stop and talk to me, (now that I'm on a Harley myself) unsolicited, than did when I was on my Honda Shadow (lol).

In terms of looks, I like both. The Indian (particularly the newer Chiefs) has an appeal because of its commitment to their classic lines and designs, while still upgrading the engine and drivetrain to modern standards. I like the little visual things about the Indian.

But then again, I can say the same thing about the Harley. They have tried to stay true to the elements that have been their calling card, and still upgrade to meet modern standards as well.

It really comes down to price, availability, and access to local Service if needed. Having a Dealership nearby is HUGE in my decision-making process. Had I had an Indian Dealership somewhere near me, I might have found myself perusing THEIR showroom, instead of HD, but it was the other way around in my neck of the woods.

I like (frankly) the frequency of HD Dealerships all up and down the East Coast. I don't know if they are as prolific in other States throughout the USA, but here they seem to be every fifty miles or so. If I was traveling, it sure is nice to know there are so many of them! The local guy who has repaired my Honda bikes over the years, likely will tell me he WON'T or CAN'T work on my HD. (Good thing "I" have some mechanical background, and am not afraid to get my hands dirty).

-Soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
They are Both Fine Rides .. I own a 2015 Indian Scout and Love it save a few drawbacks to be expected on a First Year Model but sorting them out step by step .. You didn't really specify what type Ride Looking for .. HD can be anything from a Sportster Iron to a Ultra Classic Limited as with Indian could be anything from a Scout to a Full Touring Roadmaster .. Won't go wrong with either one but is Your Money and Your Call ..

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Personally, I find the styling all wrong on the new Indians, so I would never buy one, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Oh and that thing where they've gone belly up a few times, also keeps me from having interest no matter what they look like.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned with the security of the Indian brand anymore. Polaris has the money, the technology, the engineering, and the workforce to get it done. The previous attempts to resurrect the brand were started with good intentions, but were missing a few of those components to make the brand viable. Original Indian went under in 1953 for various reasons. But let us not forget that without AMF, Harley would have had the same results in the early 70s.

That said, Polaris only bought the name. These bikes are all new from the ground up. You have to think of it not as the old Indian company, but as a new brand from Polaris. Polaris, who has been outstandingly successful in their business of building and selling Motorsport vehicles.

Styling, I can't debate that. That is completely to the opinion of the individual. I certainly can respect that.I mean, hell, there's a number of people here that love the Victory Vision, and that's the ugliest thing going down our roads. :D

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I don't care what another person rides...

I like the Indian... but haven't bought one yet.

Harley for me.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
You start out with an incomplete set of choices. There is more to chose from than Harleys and Indians vs. Japanese cruisers. For one, that leaves our Victory. There is also Moto Guzzi with their California model and its variants (getting great reveiws in the motorcycle press) and of course there is also Triumph. I ride a Triumph Thunderbird and other than the lack of cruise control, this bike offers everything I want in a heavy cruiser. And Triumph also offers the Rocket, the largest displacement motorcycle in general production with its 2300cc engine. If you really want to give yourself the best options, take a look at all the brands that offer bikes in the general style that interest you.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Buy the bike that fits your needs and budget the best. Go to Eagle Rider and rent one for a weekend and see if you like it. I know the Indian/Victory dealer around here will let you test ride them. I have ridden the Chieftain and the Cross Country. They are both fine bikes and they will be in the running when I buy a touring bike. I also love the new Road Glide. 3 great bikes that will come down to price, comfort for my and my SO, and what we feel is the best fit for us. I don't think we will have a bad bike no matter which one we get.

·
8,604 Posts
Between Harley and the new Indians, making a choice is difficult but for me it's simple: Harley has lots of very fine Dealerships with excellent service departments all over this country. You should see the dealer near me:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=zbq-B8oPq-Hf_b-XLqbv_w&bvm=bv.99556055,d.aWw

Indian being new, hasn't really established that many dealerships yet and that gives me pause to buy one.

I have never seen a more beautiful bike in every way than the new Indian Dressers and I have never seen one in person.

As far as the Harleys go I'm an Electra Glide kinda guy and I drool when I go into their showrooms!

The trouble is my refined taste requires the top of any line so the model I want is always the most expensive---which I never buy because it is the most expensive---Paradox :biggrin:

So my advice is this Get a Harley. Harleys are great bikes and easy to take care of and dealers are everywhere and they have the most fantastic club called the Harley owners group (HOG) that will make you feel like family, with scheduled community benefit rides, dinner rides and BBQ's and shows at the Dealerships!

In the mean time, I will enjoy my new Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster;)

Sam AKA Porky AKA Rocket man:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Indian has been around for many years and have just reestablished themselves again and they do make a great motorcycle, one of my first bikes was an Indian, but I am a HD guys through and through but this is a personal choice that you need to make for yourself, not someone else. Go look, sit on one, test ride each and make that decision yours and go with it.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts