Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I am a big Honda fan. I've owned a CBR f4i and just recently bought a Honda cruiser for my brother. I'm looking to buy another sports bike, but I want opinions. I have been debating between getting a Yamaha R6 or CBR RR. I'm looking at used from years between 03-06. What do you think ? I've never really owned anything other than Honda but I've heard good things about Yamaha.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm mainly looking at those 2 because I love the way they look. I just don't know much about the Yamaha r6. Maintenance, costs, reliablty, etc.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Troll the dealerships, sit on and try and get a trial ride on bikes in the range you're interested in, and choose the one you like/fits you best. You're the one that has to ride the bike, chose the one that gets your heart beating. And all the major manufacturers make reliable bikes.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Kawasaki was the first motorcycle I ever saw "up close," many years ago. They are still out there. Seemed like a pretty solid metric bike. I had good luck with Honda motorcycles over the years, before I went to HD.

Explore; dream; imagine!!

-Soupy

·
8,579 Posts
Actually, any Yamaha has vastly longer valve maintenance intervals @ 26,000 miles versus 6 to 10,000 miles so a MAJOR expense and hassle takes longer to happen!

There really is no comparison between the CBR1000RR and the R6---one is a brute and the other less so. If you have a lot of experience and can afford the insurance cost on the CBR, go for it. However, the little R6 is quite a bike and may be more practical for most riders.

Personally, I like the TORQUE that larger, open class Sportbikes produce, without having to REV them to death like the R6 requires.

Sam:biggrin:

·
8,579 Posts
Sorry about that, for some reason my brain inserted 1000-weird.

Well then, I still stand in my opinion about the longer valve adjustment intervals being a positive for the R6.

As far as the Honda goes, the RR has more sophisticated and race ready components then the normal CBR R.

Both bikes have excellent reputations and are reliable and very fast so I guess it depends on what turns you on. Go to GOOGLE and type in "Comparisons of 600cc sport bikes," and read to your hearts content.

If you are buying new then at least you will know what you've got but if you buy used----good luck. Most if not all of the 600 Crotch Rockets are beat to death!

I love this statement in the sellers adds: Never raced, never abused---5,000 miles with new tires, new brakes, new fork seals, new clutch, etc. Read between the lines!

Tell tale signs of possible abuse are frame sliders, very worn outside edges of the tires, scrapes from falls, modified exhaust, aftermarket tuning ECU's, HP air cleaners, fender eliminators, quick-shift devices etc. They can have clutch and gearbox damage due to abuse. Chains and sprockets will undoubtedly need to be replaced. Buyer beware.

Of course they may have been owned by a Saint like myself who only rode to work at 45 mph, in 6th gear, always double clutched and was/ is totally anal about maintenance.

Who knows what evil works in the minds of motorcycle abusers? "The SHADOW does!"

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very good information to know. Thank you. I'll definitely look into them more and do my homework. Honda have always been a favorite, but the r6 always catches my eyes. I may even look into liter bikes depending on prices but I think 600 is enough for everyday use and daily operation.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If you go with the R6, get rid of the stock tires. The Dunlops that came on my sons bike where absolute garbage. He got less than 4,000 miles on the rear tire before they wore down to the canvas. He rides alot with me, and I know he wasn't doing wholeshots, burnouts or the like (unless he was doing it when I wasn't riding with him, but he's a newbie so I don't think he has been) I've got 8,000 miles on my tire and it's just starting to show wear. He's going to try another type of tire, but if it eats another tire as quick, he's going to switch to a different type of bike. I know sport bikes go through tires quick, but 4,000 miles seems very short lived.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you go with the R6, get rid of the stock tires. The Dunlops that came on my sons bike where absolute garbage. He got less than 4,000 miles on the rear tire before they wore down to the canvas. He rides alot with me, and I know he wasn't doing wholeshots, burnouts or the like (unless he was doing it when I wasn't riding with him, but he's a newbie so I don't think he has been) I've got 8,000 miles on my tire and it's just starting to show wear. He's going to try another type of tire, but if it eats another tire as quick, he's going to switch to a different type of bike. I know sport bikes go through tires quick, but 4,000 miles seems very short lived.
What year R6 does he own and how is he liking it so far ?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
2014, he likes it so far, other than the tires. You must stay on top of the oil change intervals, he went over by a couple hundred miles, and you could hear it starting to tick. Changed the oil and the ticking went away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2014, he likes it so far, other than the tires. You must stay on top of the oil change intervals, he went over by a couple hundred miles, and you could hear it starting to tick. Changed the oil and the ticking went away.
Sweet. Thanks for the info

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I owned a CBR954. And got to test ride an R6 on demo days. The R6 was a whole lot less of a beast. A smaller bike, too, which was simply easier to shove around. I really, really liked it. CBR always felt like it was trying to kill me, and I never, ever got to use full throttle as it would do 100+mph in 2nd. Too much power for anyone except a hardcore racer.

Several VERY NICE used R6's at the dealership in Albq. you might want to call them. They had one with like 4000 miles onit. Pricey, but they give a 50/50 warranty for 30 days, keeps you out of lemonville.

Can't speak to the CBR600 but really want an R6 for canyon carving. Loved my old Ninja too, the motor in that thing had blood lust, just loved to scream. Can't explain it, just a lot less civilized than Honda or Yamaha.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I owned a CBR954. And got to test ride an R6 on demo days. The R6 was a whole lot less of a beast. A smaller bike, too, which was simply easier to shove around. I really, really liked it. CBR always felt like it was trying to kill me, and I never, ever got to use full throttle as it would do 100+mph in 2nd. Too much power for anyone except a hardcore racer.

Several VERY NICE used R6's at the dealership in Albq. you might want to call them. They had one with like 4000 miles onit. Pricey, but they give a 50/50 warranty for 30 days, keeps you out of lemonville.

Can't speak to the CBR600 but really want an R6 for canyon carving. Loved my old Ninja too, the motor in that thing had blood lust, just loved to scream. Can't explain it, just a lot less civilized than Honda or Yamaha.
thanks, yeah I'm starting to lean more towards the Yamaha r6. i'll definitely be doing my homework in trying to find the best deal I can get. Hopefully by next spring I'll have one in my garage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts