Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a 1970 BSA 441... just a single...

there are a few problems, but nothing insane...

the carb is clean and she starts up after 6-8 kicks using a compression release (i no longer need to go to the gym) Ides a little high... but i am still finding the right mixture and throttle adjustments..

anyway, the throttle cable seems plenty long enough, and aside from a little wear just at the top of the carb, the plastic of the cable is intact.

it is pretty obvious that it happens when the handlebars turn left and right, regardless of whether or not the throttle is being used...which would lead me to beleive the cable the wrong size or something.

The fork is NOT original... everything else is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if there is something i can do to make sure its not getting caught up with handlebar motion (which it doesn't appear to be) or if i should just replace the cable. and if the fork is not stock.. would the cable length I buy need to be different?

thanks!

C

·
0 Posts
Those cables can be pretty finicky! Sometimes simply moving them from their stock location is enough to p*ss them off. Do some investigation and find out where the stock location should be and if it’s been moved. You might give the cable a good cleaning and lubing and go back and double check for pinch points or places it might be (or get in the range of movement) bent at an odd angle. And all that failing, like you wrote you might want to invest in a new cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stock location

i have the orig shop manual and parts book... but don't see any information about where the cables should run. And there isn't a BSA mechanic anywhere near me.

Should the cable be slack for the most part or attached throughout (like the shifting cables on a bicycle?)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
It really depends on the bike.
They have to be routed correctly, or it pulls/binds up when you move the handlebars.

Just re-route it till you find that spot where it doesnt bind or pull with the handlebars at full throw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is what seems so strange... it never seems to pull. maybe a new cable is needed. it would be $40 well spent. I was just concerned that the change in fork would effect the length of cable I purchased, rather then just getting the orig part # cable.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Anytime you change something on the front end, whether it be forks, trees, handlebars, etc. It can change the length of cable needed.

And that goes for all the cables. Clutch, Brake, Throttle, Choke, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts