Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My budget is 200-250 for a helmet, I would prefer a modular. But here are the priorities: comfort>air flow>>design/color

·
Registered
4 Posts
My budget is 200-250 for a helmet, I would prefer a modular. But here are the priorities: comfort>air flow>>design/color
I would either get a AGV K3 (full face, not modular) thats 5* sharp, super comfortable and goes less than that money you say, or a Nolan N44. The superwide viewfield makes it soooo worth. And it's pretty comfortable. Mine is almost 2 years old and still snug. I'm so happy about it I even made a review of it on my blog.

Check out the Schuberth C3. It is $329 but well worth it.
My pal wears that one. He's quite happy with it too. Another option (but for the money, i'd get the N44 OR the N104, which is my absolute favorite modular helmet)

You will find reviews on those models at revzilla or webbikeworld

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm looking for a good fitting modular as well with same criteria and budget. Not easy so I'm willing to spend more.

Problem is ordering helmets online without having tried one on first. That seems like shooting in the dark. Hard time finding a local dealer within 100 miles.

I like the look and features of the Nolan 104 solid and can be found online at reasonable price. But what size?

The Schuberth C3 I have not seen at priced anywhere near $329.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Even though I have two helmets that are functionally "just fine," I find myself always looking at them in the stores. I dunno why..........I just DO?!

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Even though I have two helmets that are functionally "just fine," I find myself always looking at them in the stores. I dunno why..........I just DO?!
It's simple. A helmet generally makes a person look like a dork. So you look thinking the next helmet you buy won't. It never works. It's a helmet industry conspiracy.:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Because some helmets are designed for round heads and others designed for elongated shaped heads, while others are designed with intermediate in mind, I definitely recommend going into the stores and test fitting as many brands as you can before possibly ordering online. The Shcuberth C3 and the Nolan are excellent modulars and are highly rated by their owners and are excellent recommendations. Because of their owners good reviews all over the web, I've tried them out (test fit). Unfortunately for me, neither fit my round melon just right, so my searching continued until I found a good comfortable fit with long distance rides in mind. One key feature for me is the drop down sun visor. Since I ride in Florida and I need more air flow, I usually ride with my shield up and the sun shield down. I currently have four modulars with two of them being Scorpion helmets, the EXO 900 and the EXO 900X. Both sold for $259, both look identical and both fit my round Charlie Brown head just fine. These two have been my favorite modulars so far, but the 900 was discontinued 3 years ago and replaced with the 900X. They just discontinued the 900X, replacing it with a higher price point helmet the GT 3000 at $359. I currently have no need for another helmet so I haven't tried the new GT3000. The 900X thou is clearance priced at many online retailers and brick and motor stores for around $139, a great buy for a quality helmet. I also have a Monoco Lazer Carbon Fiber modular helmet, But its price point exceeds what were discussing and I wouldn't recommend it anyway. I also have a much cheaper Bilt modular from Cycle Gear that is very very comfortable, light & airy, but its noisy as hell at interstate speeds and it lacks refinements. I'd recommend the Scorpion 900X, especially if its a good fit and you can find one in stock in your size with the clearance prices that they are currently offering.
Scorpion 900X

GT3000 for comparison

·
Registered
68 Posts
+1 on Nolan modulars, I've had the N100, N90 and N91. My head is oval so some helmets (Shoei) caused nasty pressure & pain on my forehead, the Nolans are much better for my head shape. Love the modular helmets.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've got the Shoei GT Air. Got it last December. It's excellent. It does have less air flow than my last helmet though, a GMax, which saved my life, actually. That one was modular. If you want an inexpensive helmet that will do the job, I'd recommend that one.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Where did you find the Shuberth C3 for $329? I see it listed on Revzilla for $739, and personally I have never spent that much on any helmet. I am getting ready to buy new helmets for myself and my wife, and based on past experience am leaning toward the Shoei Neotec. I have an older Multitec and it has been a great helmet (while it is not recommended to do so, I have worn it for extended periods in very hot weather with the front section left raised up and had no problem with it dropping inadvertently). The Neotec is $584 on Revzilla which is about the best price I have seen for this helmet, but that is far above the OP's price point.

I recommend, if you haven't already bought one, looking for an older (but new) Shoei Multitec which is likely closer to your price range and still a great helmet. About all it doesn't have that the newer model has is the built in sunshade.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had lots of helmets. Integrated bluetooth is really nice. One of my favorites is a Motoboss bluetooth. My wife got it for me years ago not knowing anything about helmets. Can't find them anymore. I'd buy another one if i could. Bell is actually good and prices just dropped dramatically. But, my all time totally bitchin' helmet is a Schuberth SR1 matte black. They're about a grand though. The dark visor I just got from Germany was a hundred just for the visor. If you can get one for $200 to $300 you're in luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got my license in July, 2017. Comfort really depends on the shape of your own personal head. I have an intermediate oval head. For my head, AFX and Bilt (Cycle Gear house brand) seem to fit the best, both available in the price range you budgeted. They both have DOT and ECE safety ratings. There are some YouTube videos I watched recently that showed that the hinge mechanism can be particularly prone to failure in a crash, depending on the brand. The Snell Memorial Foundation does not even test modular helmets. I think air flow is more of a visual view of the venting for me anymore; keep in mind that the top of your head is the escape vent for heat from your body in the heat, likewise, it is the control point for which to keep heat in your body in the cold, so your priority of air flow is commendable. I recently saw an ad for a helmet that they called "full skull venting", if you can vent heat out of your head, the rest of your body should take care of itself. One thing I found a few months ago, is that "I think" if you were to remove the inner top portion of a helmet, and just fit the foam on top of your head, without the helmet, I think it might be a good indicator of whether or not the helmet will fit. If the crown of your head matches the foam top liner, I think that might be a way of quickly passing one helmet for a bad fit. AND, if the cheekpads are tight, they do break in, I was told by an AFX helmet rep to spray a little water mist directly on the cheekpads, then put it on; it did help break it in a little quicker. Good luck, there are a lot of choices, shapes, sizes, price ranges.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts