Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
If he was using the phone's onboard rear LED camera light as a flashlight, it's very possible he could have made it that distance without running out of battery. Those are typically low powered LEDs and won't hog much battery power in newer phones. An hour of just using the LED only sucks maybe 10% of my phone's battery.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I love Maine!

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
I know I liked it up there.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
I liked to sit at a cafe on the coast of Maine and indulge in enough Maine LOBSTA to kill the average man:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I bet I could beat you in a lobster eating contest. :p I have a similar love for crab. Some years ago a restaurant in Wisconsin Dells had all you can eat king crab. I downed like 5 big buckets of those things and still had room for more. I'm actually surprised that the restaurant is still around today, albeit with a different business strategy. :)

Reactions: Porky

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
King Crab is just as good any day as Lobsta and I and friends have almost put a few businesses in the poor house on 'all you can eat' Crab night:grin:

I also love the Dungeness crab of the Pacific Northwest and the very large Clams called the Northern quahog and any Cherrystone clams, boiled and served with their buttery soup and HOT sourdough bread with lots of butter!:surprise:

Darn it, This conversation has me so HUNGRY right now that my feeble morning Oatmeal reserves are quickly becoming depleted.:wink2:

I've had my own dive/ deep sea fishing boat in Southern California, been a diver since 1978 and love to dive for Pacific Lobster and especially fresh Scallops :grin: I've also speared some good eatin' too:smile_big:

In Ventura, CA, where I had my powerboat and sailboat in Private slips, we'd watch the Shrimp boats come in and we'd buy fresh Shrimp, still kickin' for the Barbee :kiss:

Seafood in Missouri is Catfish:surprise:

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Last summer my wife and I took a long road trip which included a week in Maine, mainly to go to Acadia National Park (well worth a visit). Two nights in a row we ate lobster, and both of us felt that we were done for this lifetime.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
I've been there too Vito but the feeling goes away allowing much more 'BUG' consumption:grin:

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
I travel to Maine every year for at least a week sometimes two. I've traveled all over the state so now I mostly stay in a little town called Ogunquit, 15 or 20 miles from the New Hampshire boarder. Not far from Kittery, 5 miles from York Beach.

My grandparents had this great house right on the rocky coast, so I fell in love with the area long ago. I'm a beach person so if the sun is out, I'll be on the beach. If you can't stand cold ocean water it's not the place for you.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
I'm a beach person too---southern Calif or Hawaii beaches, with sand and not rocks:grin:

I know about the cold, the last time I was in Bangor, I caught double pneumonia:surprise:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
When I was stationed in Maine an ocean water temp of 50 degrees meant it was beach time.

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
I'm a beach person too---southern Calif or Hawaii beaches, with sand and not rocks:grin:

I know about the cold, the last time I was in Bangor, I caught double pneumonia:surprise:

That's why I stay to the South in Maine. Too far North and you lose those sandy beaches. Hey Critter. I know the water temp is rather chilly in Maine. But I have found if I plan my trip in mid August the water is almost balmy at mid 60's maybe even a little higher. I guess it's all in what you like. I've been to the beaches in Malibu, California and found it to be damn cold, that was in November. Air was nice and warm but the water, damn, I thought I was back in Maine.

·
American Legion Rider
26,017 Posts
Y'all can have all my lobster. I like it but my body doesn't. Can't say I'm allergic to them but I'm highly highly sensitive to them if nothing else. It's people like me that allow places with the all you can eat plan to stay in business. So some of you can just look like pigs all you want. I'm certainly not alone I can assure you.:wink:

·
Visionary
5,278 Posts
You guys are giving me a good idea for a weekend ride.

OK.. best places for Maine lobster.. let's hear them and I'll report back on the findings after I go sample them!

Last time I was up there I ate at a place called McLaughlin’s at the Marina in Bangor, which is inland obviously (The marina is on the Penobscot river) but the lobsters survived the ride from the coast and were excellent. I'd highly recommend this restaurant which was recommended to me by a local.

The other place I had seafood in Maine was in Saco, The Kerrymen Pub, a cute Irish pub, we stopped for lunch, had some awesome chowder and shared a fried seafood platter which was as gigantic as it was delicious, it was worth every single one of the probably 10,000 calories. :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
When I was on Business trips to Boston, Mass, I went north to Portland, Main and usually ate a place called "Newiches," a large "GYM' like restaurant, with open seating and sawdust on the floor. I tried to google it but it doesn't show up. The last time I was there was in 1991 or so and here's what I remember:

I ordered the 3, 1 lb Maine Lobsta's with cole slaw and french fries and iced tea:grin: The waitress comes out carrying what I know will be every day cuisine in HEAVEN:smile_big: However, there was only 2 BUGS on the platter???? She told me that they only had 2 of the 1 lb Lobsta's ready but she was giving me a 1.5 lb BUG for the same price! I of course, being a gentleman, accepted her offer:surprise: There was probably a pound of delicious Fries and the Cole slaw was top cabin and the salted melted butter was yummy:grin:

I had never, ever had my fill of Lobster before but I found it hard to finish the last of the 1.5 pound Brute on my plate but I prevailed:surprise:

My friend had breaded and deep fried Lobster, that I'd never heard of but it too was fantastic.:kiss:

My entire meal was less than $15 and as usual, as a Conservative, I left a very nice tip:smile_big:

That meal would have cost me about $50 at the time @ the Red Lobster in Southern California:surprise:

Sam---Hungry again!:nerd:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I love Maine!
Such a great state! I was in Portsmouth for business last week and decided to take the following day off to spend some time around Portland, where my wife's HQ is located. I wish she'd take a high paying gig up there so that we can move from CT and enjoy the northern 3 lifestyle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts