Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure I can remember, but perhaps YOU do, what my History and Science teachers taught me about the beginning of the discovery of the wheel, but it must've been quite a scene!!
Imagine some guy, probably looking at a rock that he had pushed over the edge of a cliff, now laying in half at the bottom of a high precipice, and seeing one half of it standing on end and out of frustration, gives that vertical half a shrug; only to discover that it rolled away from him on a slight decline.
Did he ponder the potential uses of this rock, at that time? Did he go on shoving it for the heck of it? How long before he finally figured out that such a motion could be useful?
I can't imagine that same guy, thinking about the future uses of this newly found tool, short of rolling it downhill, to fall as a trap on some unsuspecting baby dinosaur or something.
We've come a long way, since that first wheel-discovering fella. Look what we've done with it. Not just for riding tools, but in machinery of all types and sizes. We're a pretty remarkable species, ain't we?!
What's next for the "wheel," after all we've done with it? Only those creative minds of the future can say for sure, but I'd imagine we haven't exhausted the full value of it. I keep watching all the little ones, to see which ones show the most potential and creativity. There are a lot of them out there, so I'm sure there will be no shortage of ideas.
-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,653 Posts
Several years ago I would have agreed with you about kids still being a bright future. But that was when we taught kids to think and question. Now we teach them how to pass tests. I don't see the same thing you obviously see. Sorry.:(

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would imagine the wheel was derived from the roller - using a log to roll a heavy object - and I expect that started from someone stepping on a log and having it roll out from underneath him. Some smart fellow probably realized that you didn't need a whole log to move an object but just a round piece on each side. They probably eventually realized they could put an axle through the centre and then they didn't have to move them from the back to the front all the time.

Many things are an 'evolution' rather than a true invention - like James Watt seeing the lid on his mother's kettle dancing on the steam and thinking "maybe I can do something with this ...."

·
Nightfly
3,721 Posts
The difficult thing about conceiving of a cylinder rolling on its edge is figuring a way to connect it to a stable stationary platform. The genius was the wheel axle concept. Developing that was a real challenge.

I can't agree with you Cowboy. While there may be many students who's only goal in life is to get through school with a passing grade, there are many more young people out there with great thinking ability who can create and design and engineer products we can't even conceive of at this time. It's easy to look for the trouble makers, those who only take from society. It's more difficult to be positive and realize there are many out there who care, who do amazing things. All you have to do is look for it. Negativity comes easy, but no one ever built a statue of a critic.

·
6,504 Posts
JOHN 1:1 "In the beginning was the WORD____"

Somewhere after that point in time, the Flintstone's invented the wheel so that they could invent the car so that they could drive to work. However, Brakes came much, much later, after the portable anchor proved ineffective in traffic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=The+wheel&title=Special:Search

I pray that all of the 'Common Core' and 'Affirmative action' kids actually become intelligent and productive Citizens. "No child left behind" and the program to pass everyone so as not to hurt anyone's tender felling's, is in full force. Not to mention entire school districts inflating all grades from Kindergarten to SAT's and beyond just to look good as wonderful teachers, administrators and superintendents. Lots have got caught recently and there are a lot still doing this.

This is how you get a straight 'A' 4.0 student Basketball or other sports player that has graduated from college and has very little idea how to read, write or do 5th grade level math.

About 1 in 100 is a bright bulb--the rest are just there.

I taught at the Community College level in Southern California back in the 80's.

Sorry Soupy, for the "Hijack" of your thread.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
18,653 Posts
When they start teaching common sense let me know. Until then don't look for much from public education. And hope that those very few "bright bulbs" can shine through. I'm not holding my breath!

·
Nightfly
3,721 Posts
I certainly was not speaking of public education, that is a joke.

Common sense is the most widely shared commodity in the world, every man is convinced he has it in abundance......René Descartes

·
Nightfly
3,721 Posts
As with everything, and that includes education, it all come down to money. Any school program designed to benefit the education of our children comes under the control of the Department of Education. And they have the authority, the right to withhold funding to schools that are not showing or complying with rules and regulations mandated by said programs. So it stands to reason that the schools want to pass little Johnny because they must test little Johnny, and if Johnny does not show the proper increase in learning, money will be withheld from the schools. So of course the schools will pass everyone, it's to their benefit. Who ever said going to school was about an education. It's always been about the money.

You probably notice where the wealthy, the politicians send their kids. Somehow the public school system, where politicians say we always need to spend more money to educate our kids, just isn't good enough for their kids.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If public school was exactly what one person wanted it to be, the next would still say it sucked.

I don't know what ivy league schools you all went to, in a history that never happened, but I went to public school (mostly) and community college, and I learned stuff. I can't take all the credit for that, but at least some of it was my own fault.

·
American Legion Rider
18,653 Posts
There was a time public schools taught you how to think, not what to think. That's the big difference from the past and now.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Must have been before my time. BTW, I graduated high school in 1965. Even then they wanted you to memorize gobs of info, not think. When it comes to thinking, I am self taught so not as good as I could be.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Funny thing is that many societies never developed the concept of the wheel, like Native Americans. Ironically they invented the Hoop and Stick toy for their kids, but never seemed to go from a rolling hoop of wood to the idea of a wheel to transport anything. Instead they dragged their property on sleds or other platforms. Seems so obvious now but even after they adapted the original Spanish horses to their culture they never came up with the wheel idea on their own. If I am wrong about this, please set me straight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts