Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a recent discussion about improving lighting, I have been looking around at different options and stumbled onto this one today. This kit, including ballast, igniter, HID bulb and all connectors is on sale for $29. Just wondering if anyone has installed this type of setup on their bike regardless of what kind of bike it is. I was thinking about just sticking a Silverstar Ultra bulb in since I know they work well, but they are about $26 at wally-world, and this is $29 for the whole kit including free shipping. What do you think ?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
$29 sounds very inexpensive for a complete HID set up. I would be concerned about quality.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I concur with Steele and Critter. Then again, the price is sufficently low that it may be worth at least trying out.

·
14,359 Posts
IF you do please let us know how well it works. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Do the HID systems work well with a headlight modulator? I was thinking of upgrading eventually, but like the slight edge in visibility the modulator provides.

I have seen two motorcycles going by in formation, one with a standard light and modulator and the other with a HID. The HID was actually more noticeable of the two. I'm guessing a modulated HID would be even more effective.

Sent from my Z667G using Tapatalk

·
14,359 Posts
I don't think it will work with a modulator as it takes a big chunk of electricity to get the bulb lit.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I don't think it will work with a modulator as it takes a big chunk of electricity to get the bulb lit.
That's what I was suspecting. I can't remember ever seeing a modulated one.

I wonder if the ultra bright LED lights can be modulated.
Sent from my Z667G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most of what I am reading by people who have switched to either HID or LED is that you get more light, but many of them are not happy with the way the light is distributed or spread out, brighter but not necessarily better.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Most of what I am reading by people who have switched to either HID or LED is that you get more light, but many of them are not happy with the way the light is distributed or spread out, brighter but not necessarily better.
I'm not much of a night rider, so visibility to other traffic is my main concern. LED light is bright at the source, but seems to dissipate quickly after several feet. I'm not sure why that is.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
I think that's true. If I didn't have spot lights to spread the light, I don't think I'd like it at all. The light is very directional. So it is bright right straight ahead and the edge of the road is dark. The spots take care of that in my case. But even the quality of the light is so different that it takes a little to get used to it. We've been so used to seeing things in a yellow cast that seeing things in a slight blue cast is odd. Or maybe it's the color it should be but it's still different. Shadows are different too.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My son recently changed out his original blinkers on his R6 to LED blinkers. I was following him at night, and they did not show very well. I made him take them back off and put old ones back on. New and improved is not always better. If you can't see the blinkers at night, how is anyone going to see them in the day?

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
My son recently changed out his original blinkers on his R6 to LED blinkers. I was following him at night, and they did not show very well. I made him take them back off and put old ones back on. New and improved is not always better. If you can't see the blinkers at night, how is anyone going to see them in the day?
Yep. You got to be very careful what you change. I tried the same thing on my VTX and immediately went back to OEM. Not everything is for the better.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I wonder if the ultra bright LED lights can be modulated.
I cannot see why not. The big reason why HID lights really don't work with modulators is the current draw issue to start the light. LED lights take considerably less current than halogen bulbs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts