Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live my life by the creed that the next F I give about what people think of me will be my first but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't aware of what people might think. So I'm dress clothes guy on a bike, I call myself the mullet of the biker world with a party on the road but taking care of business on the bike. Clearly it doesn't stop me from riding but I have a decent job that requires me to wear dress clothes. I'd be more comfortable riding in jeans and a tshirt and that is my attire when I'm off but I commute about an hour and if I'm stuck on the road what better way than to be stuck on a cruiser and also save some gas. I noticed this more when my friend at work, the maintenance man, said something to the effect of too bad your all dressed up because we could go for a ride after work, I was like well I rode my bike to work like this so that won't stop me from going for a ride after work. I just got the feeling that he didn't want to ride with dress clothes guy on a bike. I recognize that to some degree I look ridiculous or some might say I'm a poser or something but I'm just a guy who likes riding a bike and the next time it stops me from doing what I want to do it will be the first. I'm just curious if there are any other mullets out there?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
A jacket and overpants or chaps will provide protection for the rider and keep dress clothes from getting messed up on the way to work. A change of footwear from boots to shoes can be done easily enough when you get to work.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
I wore suit and tie for 20 years. Where there's a will there's a way.

·
8,599 Posts
I wore dress slacks, shirt and very nice shoes yesterday as I mowed the Grass at the Church. (Yes I am very happy to be a Christian and follow Christ):biggrin: I got dirty mowing the 5 acres, in 90 degree heat on our ZTR mower but at least I looked good:wink:

I don't do the ATGATT. leather ATGATT, Ricky Racer ATGATT, Glow in the dark, mesh, 10 pocket-look at me ATGATT. I ride comfortably, normally in jeans, long sleeve T-shirt and work shoes, with leather gloves and of course, a helmet.

When I'm able to commute to work, I wear dress clothes.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Wear what you want. Most of the people I ride with wear jackets and pullover riding pants so we can wear pretty much what we want underneath. You should see some of the looks we get when we walk into a black T shirt and jeans bar on a hot day wearing brightly colored long sleeve T shirts, shorts and riding boots.:biggrin:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I had to dress professionally when I worked in a previous industry for a while. It wasn't an issue - that's why they make leathers!

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
When I was working and jeans were not acceptable attire, I considered buying one of those full coverall type riding suits. But between the high cost of a quality one, such as from Aerostich, and the reality that it would probably be hot as hell in the warm weather, I never bought one.

I've seen guys dressed in suits or at least dress slacks and a nice shirt and tie and riding, and I think it makes sense if that is what they need to be wearing when they arrive at work. I'm not sure why you would even care what others thought about it. In my opinion, however, it would be more practical to carry a backpack with your "work" clothes, and wear what is comfortable for you when actually on the bike.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I mean, using jeans as protection is like using the pull out method for birth control. Sure it's better than nothing, but hardly reliable.

So, if you're just going to ride in jeans given the option, I don't see any reason to give a damn about people's opinions of you riding in a suit.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Thankfully I don't have to dress up most of the time since I work from home the majority of the time. But I have done it from time to time.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I've worn everything from bib overalls to a suit. Got more comments on the bibs than on the coat & tie. :p :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
Wear it out

I dress and ride depending on the mood I am in. Mostly I am in happy mode.
This time of year it will be jeans and boots, with knee high gaiters and leather jacket. For short rides around the Island it is often a 1971 Barbour jacket. No one else is wearing one of those, or the gaiters.
My summer boots are brown. Google Brown Boots by George Formby.
What's the revelence? George was in a movie about motorcycles.

Many of us had to dress up for work at some time.
No one can make you feel inferior with out your permission. Eleanor Roosevelt.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
886 Posts
Wear what you like, I laugh at people I see wearing tank tops, shorts and flip flops even though my jeans and t-shirts aren't much better. I do wear boots of some kind, in warm weather leather hiking boots, in cooler temps hunting boots, always leather gloves and always a full face helmet. I understand those that promote ATGATT, but motorcycles are really about freedom, freedom to be individual and freedom to wear what you want, including a helmet or not depending on the law where you ride, also the type of helmet.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Food for thought for those that wear dressy attire to work. Aerostich's Roadcrafter and Roadcrafter Light suits will easily fit over a suit or other work attire, and give you a clean, bug free look once at work and pull it off. I have no stake in Aerostich, just know their products are quality and service is even better. They are not all that inexpensive, but they are hand made in the USA. Unfortunately for me, I am too big for any of their one piece suits. http://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-piece-suits

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I understand those that promote ATGATT, but motorcycles are really about freedom, freedom to be individual and freedom to wear what you want, including a helmet or not depending on the law where you ride, also the type of helmet.
Maybe that is what motorcycles are for you, but to some people they are just another form of transportation. Then there are dozens, if not more, reasons in between those two.

Not everyone is the guy from the progressive commercial.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Maybe that is what motorcycles are for you, but to some people they are just another form of transportation. Then there are dozens, if not more, reasons in between those two.

Not everyone is the guy from the progressive commercial.
Wasn't that Reb's point? Individual freedom. We all have different reasons, we're not all going to make the same choices.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thanks Jag13, it seems some people don't understand freedom whether it be freedom of choice or opinion. I do use my bike as transportation as much as possible in spring through fall, I also have jackets with some armor for cooler weather. In this country didn't it all start with the search for freedom from oppression in government and religion? Isn't freedom and the pursuit of happiness in our constitution? Why is the use of a bike for transportation even a deciding factor in how you dress or the freedom to choose what you wear?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You sure do a lot of bragging for someone who doesn't give an F what people think.
Maybe you mistook me calling myself the mullet of the biking world as bragging but most people don't like that hair cut anymore so I'm sorry if I offended your haircut. But the last time I checked when you know people might talk smack about you but you wear dress clothes on your bike anyways that means you don't give an F about what they think.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts