Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been saving up to buy a bike, just finished my MSF course a few weeks ago. I'll be ready to buy in about a month or two, but the wait is killing me.
So while I'm forced to wait, let me live vicariously through you guys!
Tell me some of your favorite rides and stories on a bike :p

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am actually on the verge of starting to like having a car after only having a bike for 3 years rain sleet and snow.
congrats btw msf is important good luck finding a decent bike in the summertime.
I almost jumped out of my boots when a dog in a nearby car barked at me. its an odd disposition when out of nowhere something normal scares me so much even flies hitting my face shield startle me at times.

·
American Legion Rider
23,555 Posts
Riding isn't for everyone and nothing to be ashamed of if you are one. You actually put others at risk as well sometimes. At least you have an awareness of bikes that many in cars don't. And who knows, some day you may want to ride again although if the distractions today have anything to say they'll probably be worse in the future. However, 3 years tells me you must have been doing something right. Why are you giving it up? Or is it you are just glad you can take a car when it's raining and I jumped to the conclusion you was giving it up?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am actually on the verge of starting to like having a car after only having a bike for 3 years rain sleet and snow.
congrats btw msf is important good luck finding a decent bike in the summertime..
I agree, it is nice to be in a car during rains not on a bike! Although we don't get too much rain down here in AZ anyways, and when we do I avoid driving in it because it's almost like a hurricane... :frown:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Been saving up to buy a bike, just finished my MSF course a few weeks ago. I'll be ready to buy in about a month or two, but the wait is killing me.
So while I'm forced to wait, let me live vicariously through you guys!
Tell me some of your favorite rides and stories on a bike :p
Unfortunately due to my Dad's health he was unable to ride my bike when he stopped by a couple weeks ago.

After a long talk though I did manage to get an interesting story out of him. A story about him returning from Colorado heading back to Wisconsin, My mom and him was forced to stop after a broken cover of some sort, and the bike was broken. A friend they were riding with on a bike towed them for a bit via bungie cord, until the cord snapped and sent them into a ditch, where my mom snapped a heel off her shoe by digging her heels into the mud trying to slow their decent into the muddy ditch. After a while of walking, both of them limping, one due to the shoe heel missing and the other from a previous accident, they went to a motel and organized transportation in the morning. That transportation turned out to be a van. At this point their friend promptly abandoned them to the rest of their journey. The bike, my mom & dad were loaded in the back of the van. After a while the van blew a tire, and having no money and no spare, the driver continued on at a slow pace while my mom and dad, both hungover, sat in the back of the van with the bike while they listened to the heavy slapping of the blown tire against the fender of the van. They were dropped off somewhere in northern Illinois, where they phoned a friend in Wisconsin to take them the rest of the way home.

The bike was a 54' HD Panhead, long raked out forks, small teardrop gastank, looked like a burnt-orange flake paint (maybe red, hard to tell from the old photo), sissy bar with the tall seat. My dad did all the work and mods himself. I have a pic on my computer but I can't figure out how to post it. I'd like to get my hands on it, I heard it's in a town near me.

:71baldboy:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's quite an adventure! Glad they made it home safe. That had to be scary riding in the back of a van with a blown tire :eek:
If you find the picture of the bike I'd love to see it!

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Once you get to 15 posts you can then put up pictures. You can either host the picture here, or use a hosting service such as Photobucket and just copy and paste the IMG information.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's quite an adventure! Glad they made it home safe. That had to be scary riding in the back of a van with a blown tire :eek:
If you find the picture of the bike I'd love to see it!
Just went through and got my posts up to 15.

Here is the link for more info on that bike, it includes the picture:
http://justpanhead.com/stans-panhead-a-1954-flf-sport-solo/

The flapping tire sounded like it was more annoying than anything, having a hangover and all with the hollowness of the back of the van I can only imagine them having no choice but to cover their ears.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice! I imagine riding that you'd feel like a total badass.
For me it's never about being badass. It's about fighting what seems to be a hopeless, uphill battle. In this growing age of safety and restraint, where practicality trumps adrenaline, where the ratio of miles to the gallon is championed over horsepower to the weight. I definitely feel that dream of freedom riding a motorcycle on an empty stretch of highway is fading in our society, and that makes me sad. :(

It was a different age back in the 60's with motorcycles. You weren't connected to the world all the time. No GPS, no cell phone, no portable music. You, the bike, and the road...and that's all that mattered and it's all you wanted. Simple and pure, uncompromised. That's how I want to ride. Unrealistic I know, but let a man have his dream!

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Due to health issues, and bad weather, I appreciate my "cage" from time to time. There s a fine balance that is worth taking into account, when choosing which "ride" to take.

-Soupy

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I was without my bike for a couple weeks while I sorted out a headlight issue in my little spare time. It SUCKED!!!! I hate caging to work. Traffic gets me down, and I miss the acceleration of even my slowest bike. I am dead set now on always having at least two road legal and tagged bikes, so when my main bike is down for whatever reason, I can ride the spare in.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
I was without my bike for a couple weeks while I sorted out a headlight issue in my little spare time. It SUCKED!!!! I hate caging to work. Traffic gets me down, and I miss the acceleration of even my slowest bike. I am dead set now on always having at least two road legal and tagged bikes, so when my main bike is down for whatever reason, I can ride the spare in.

Having 2 Bikes is a Great Thing if can afford it an dis where your priorities lie .. Would love to have 3-4 Bikes but that's just not possible so Ride 2 that have different features and Fun for Different Reasons .. Arizona is a fine place to ride, been out that way several times over the years from Tucson up to Flagstaff and enjoyed some fine roads while out there ..

·
American Legion Rider
23,555 Posts
Hey, there's some nice riding south of Tucson if you don't mind dirt and gravel roads.:D I'm an explorer of the roads less traveled.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, there's some nice riding south of Tucson if you don't mind dirt and gravel roads.:D I'm an explorer of the roads less traveled.
I've actually thought about getting a duo sport later on down the road when I can afford another bike. Think it would be a lot of fun to explore off road :) Especially out in Picture rocks where I used to live

·
American Legion Rider
23,555 Posts
I've actually thought about getting a duo sport later on down the road when I can afford another bike. Think it would be a lot of fun to explore off road :) Especially out in Picture rocks where I used to live
The thing is I do that on what ever bike I have. Most people never go to half the places a regular street bike can and will go. Just do it and have fun. So you drop the thing. Chances are you'll be going slow anyway. No problem.:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I was learning we had a little speed bump at the end of our driveway, and when I hit it leaving once I accidentally cranked the throttle and went barrelling into the neighbor's yard in a wide turn across the street and into the ditch (thankfully no curbs in my nieghborhood). I just kept with it and kept on going, tighening up the corner and out of the ditch and back into the street. Didn't panic one bit, just an angry "F" and other than that played it calm and collected, as if I was just telling myself, "okay we're going over here for a bit, hello mr. grass..." lol. Yeah Hog's right, you really don't need a dirt/offroad bike to go offroad, but I'm sure it helps.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like quite the adventure.
And I think I'll be too scared to take my baby off road... at least until I get more time on the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well there is the time and place for everything. I used to think I would like to ride my bike to work, but realized due to the very stressful nature of my job that I was thinking about work half the way there and most of the way back, and that is no state of mind to be on a bike with. I'm mostly a fair weather rider, I plan my days, and where I go so that I have a high likelihood of enjoying it. I enjoy riding when I can focus on it, enjoy all the sensations of the road, the surroundings etc. Also not a big fan of being on busy highways and riding in all that disturbed buffeting air from the big rigs etc. I love the two lanes that head off into the country through smaller towns etc. They still exist - you just have to look for them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts