Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on how to lower a Honda Shadow 750 aero to a hard tail... But I don't have a welder, so I was wondering if their we're any type of bolt on kits or anything

·
Registered
775 Posts
I haven't seen any bolt on hardtail kits for the 750, but, if there is one, I bet you could buy a wire welder and a small pile of tubing for the cost of the add-on kit.

You might want to consider starting with the VT600 instead of the 750. That gets you the "hardtail look" right out of the box, cause it's a single shock. Very popular starting point for bobber builds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, thank you... I'll look into that, I already have the 750 so I was trying to see what I could do with it. But a buddy of mine has a 600 and I keep trying to talk him into bobbing it, it's perfect for it

·
Registered
775 Posts
Personally, I think a lot of folks spend a lot of time and money turning one thing into another, when the other thing already exists, and is readily available. If your 750 is in decent cosmetic shape, runs, and has a title, you should be able to swap it for, or sell it then buy a bike with a softail, like the Honda 600 I mentioned.
You didn't mention the model year or your bike, but on Cycle Trader, '90 - 2000 Honda Shadow Aero's being sold for $2200 to $5000 with an average sale price of $3100.
'90 - 2000 Shadow VTX and VLX 600s being sold for $1700 to $4K. with an average sale price of $2560.

According to those numbers, You shouldn't have to horse trade too hard to turn your Shadow Aero 750 into a 600, plus a nice solo seat, a new exhaust and a new handlebar. The build will be a lot easier, and less risky with an unmodified frame.

And, I'll bet it will be a lot easier to talk your buddy into bobbing HIS bike, if he sees you building one.

I'm pretty sure all the larger Honda's, the 700s, 750s and 800s all have a swingarm and dual shocks. Other candidates with softail (faux hardtail) looks are Yamaha V-Star 650 & 1100 and Suzuki Volusia and C50.

I like the way a hardtail looks, but I wouldn't want to ride one on the streets around here, except in good light and light traffic so I could avoid the cracks and potholes . My back is screwed up enough already.

·
American Legion Rider
25,886 Posts
Yeah, if you don't really want to ride but just like the image of a biker and being able to call yourself a badazz biker, a hardtail bike is the way to go. You can make one into anything you want except a good riding bike. But you should be able to ride from bar to bar and show the world just how badazz you are. (y) (y) (y) It's not my thing but I get it.

Reactions: Porky

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
Sorry, and it's just my extremely HUMBLE opinion but 'Bobbers' suck. I don't even like Bobber riders much.:unsure:

My bad so sue me:love:

Sam:)

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
Sorry, and it's just my extremely HUMBLE opinion but 'Bobbers' suck. I don't even like Bobber riders much.:unsure:

My bad so sue me:love:

Sam:)
I agree with you.
I see so many of these idiots hacking up nice old classics.
It makes me sick.

Reactions: Porky
1 - 8 of 8 Posts