Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Honda VTX1800R. 15,960 miles. Any opinions, experience or shared knowledge with this bike would be greatly appreciated!
:71baldboy:

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
It's a great bike and not many miles. I had the 1300R. Was all the bike I needed. But the 1800 has fuel injection making it even better in many regards.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a great bike and not many miles. I had the 1300R. Was all the bike I needed. But the 1800 has fuel injection making it even better in many regards.
Ah, I didn't know it was fuel injected. Even better! This looks like my dream bike. My brother was recommending not going with a Honda, saying they weren't dependable and that Yamaha makes a better bike. I haven't seen any Yamahas in my price range that I like though. This Honda is absolutely gorgeous.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
I have heard that they feel top heavy especially with a full tank (says he with an 850 lb bike)

·
8,572 Posts
I had a brand new 2003 VTX1800R in Candy Orange Metallic:biggrin:

They are a little heavy at rest but once underway---and OMG times 10, they do get up and move in any gear at any time---oh, the weight seems to disappear.

There is no other Stock production bike, with a V-twin that comes close to the torque and HP, other than the Suzuki M109 and the Suzuki C109 (I had a new one in 2011):biggrin:

If left alone, in a stock state of tune, they are completely reliable.

You won't believe the top gear passing power.

Here is a great VTX place and I've been a member there since 2002 or so:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct..._8VWd_zD-wlhb9cRKLTxxA&bvm=bv.106923889,d.dmo

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

They are a little heavy at rest but once underway---and OMG times 10, they do get up and move in any gear at any time---oh, the weight seems to disappear.

There is no other Stock production bike, with a V-twin that comes close to the torque and HP, other than the Suzuki M109 and the Suzuki C109 (I had a new one in 2011):biggrin:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct..._8VWd_zD-wlhb9cRKLTxxA&bvm=bv.106923889,d.dmo

Thanks! Here are some pics of it. Does this look stock?

Attachments

·
8,572 Posts
No BUT--That scoot looks like it has absolutely everything a person would need.:biggrin:

Be aware, that the LEO's are really coming down on loud bikes and those Vance and Hines long shots are very loud:biggrin:

By the way, new, mine was around $13,000 and all of the good stuff I put on mine really added up!

None of my business but what are they asking for it?

Sam:)

PS---OC was my stomping ground. I was born near there and we didn't move out until 1999. I miss Ortega hwy and the ROCK STORE in Malibu.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Hyper Charger air intake and aftermarket pipes. Vance and Hines Long Shots, or a similar version from another maker? Not a problem as far as I know.

But lose the Hyper Charger. That version without the extra opening and filter sucks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No BUT--That scoot looks like it has absolutely everything a person would need.:biggrin:

Be aware, that the LEO's are really coming down on loud bikes and those Vance and Hines long shots are very loud:biggrin:

By the way, new, mine was around $13,000 and all of the good stuff I put on mine really added up!

None of my business but what are they asking for it?

Sam:)

PS---OC was my stomping ground. I was born near there and we didn't move out until 1999. I miss Ortega hwy and the ROCK STORE in Malibu.

They're asking $5250. If it's loud, that's a deal killer for me. Not what I'm looking for. I'm going to take a look at it, but if it's really loud it's not for me. That'd be a damn shame because everything else about it is exactly what I'm looking for. Yeah, Ortega is one of my favorite roads! I take Santiago Canyon through to Live Oak Canyon, then Antonio to Ortega all the way to the lake. Awesome ride! The Malibu canyon roads are really great too. Kanan Dunes, Topanga, etc. Some super twisty roads there!

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
But lose the Hyper Charger. That version without the extra opening and filter sucks.
But Eye, that's just what a first time rider needs don't you know. I would bet it hasn't been dyno'ed to take advantage of it either. I'd just put a regular open filter on though. That bike scoots good enough without that thing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not a first time rider. That'd be too much bike! I've been riding for 2 and a half years, 30,000 miles.:icon_cool:

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Sorry. Wrong person I guess. Too many to remember.:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
If that bike isn't reliable it more than likely would have to do with the previous owner, and not Honda. :wink:

The one thing I don't care for on the 1800 is the way it sounds, and the louder they are the worse they sound. Wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it would get baffled at the very least. :biggrin:

The 1300 doesn't have the power but does have the single pin crank sound that appeals to more folks I would imagine. My buddy absolutely loved his VTX1300 (he is a slower rider as well). He totaled it unfortunately, and bought a VTX1800. He liked the power, but said it was a pig to commute on. He just sold it, and bought a new CTX700.

Liked the 1800 I spent an afternoon on, but it was a "C" model. Have not ridden the one like you are looking at. Price seems fair from the few I looked at on a national CL search, you can always make an offer though. I would definitely recommend test riding it if at all possible, and for as long as possible.

If the pipes are too loud, V&H may have quiet baffles for them. Or you could probably find some stock pipes dirt cheap, and go that route. The C90T I bought had V&H longshots, they were too loud for me with baffles in them already. The dealer that sold it to me happened to have a stock set laying around upstairs, and gave them to me. :biggrin:

Good luck with whatever you decide on. :71baldboy:

·
8,572 Posts
That VTX will be VERY loud and will get you busted---sometime or another and like the above poster said, a dual crankpin engine will always sound weird.

I had 2 of the XTX1300's, they are a single crankpin and with the same Vance and Hines pipes sound awesome and the single carb is a piece of cake for anyone to "Jet."

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn, that will be a let down if that bike turns out to be too loud, but the search will continue. I don't care about getting pulled over, we have a ton of loud bikes in my town and I've never seen anyone get pulled over for it. I just don't want to disturb the hell out of my co-workers, roommates and neighbors every time I'm coming or going.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmm...I live in Northern California and I am a deputy sheriff. I've never cited anyone for 'loud pipes'. Even my VT1100 with VH is extremely loud and I have left home on it in the very early hours. I just do my absolute best to not rev the engine over much. Doesn't seem to be an issue for me, the wife or neighbors. I could see issues if I was cranking the throttle routinely during warm up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm...I live in Northern California and I am a deputy sheriff. I've never cited anyone for 'loud pipes'. Even my VT1100 with VH is extremely loud and I have left home on it in the very early hours. I just do my absolute best to not rev the engine over much. Doesn't seem to be an issue for me, the wife or neighbors. I could see issues if I was cranking the throttle routinely during warm up.
Yeah, like I said, I'm not worried about getting pulled over for it. We have loud bikes all over the place in my neighborhood and I've never seen anyone get pulled over for it. It's just my roomies and co-workers I'd be concerned about. My house is very quiet and there are times when I come in late at night. It would wake them up, which would not be cool. My boss also said to me when I first told her I was getting a bike, "just don't get a loud one". We park right outside the office door, so it would disturb an office full of architects, lol.

·
Registered
354 Posts

Think the Yamaha raider has comparable numbers stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts