Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my Rider's Edge class next month, and I'm going to be needing a helmet. I would like a full-face, just because they look good with sport bikes :icon_cool:, but I'm not sure what brand to get. What brand would you recommend, preferably not the most expensive but good quality?

I'd also like a color that I can keep for multiple bikes. Besides black, are there any other colors that would look good? Graphics maybe?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I recommend the helmet that:

fits you well enough you will wear it

is cheap enough you can afford it

has good enough air flow you wont suffocate in it

has good enough wind management that it doesnt howl when you wear it

etc

Keep trying/buying them till you find it.

Rarely does anyone find the perfect helmet right off.....most (all I know) riders will have a few to a closet full of helmets at home - I know I do.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You like the way it looks and you are worried about the color? Geez. I would listen to Aaron. I bought the best helmet that fit me well and had great airflow. (Shoei X-11) Its got an awful (IMO) paint job but it was $50 less than the solid colors, is pretty visible, and it was on closeout :)

Make **** sure it fits you correctly. Find a shop that will edumacate you about fit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've tried a couple so far, both got good reviews.

Bell Apex Edge
http://www.thebellstore.com/Helmets/apex.html

Scorpion EXO-700
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/scorpion/

I was looking for get one for $200 max. Both these are in this range, but the Bell may be discontinued/discounted. You can find deals online for less, but fit is a big issue.

I prefer the Bell. So did the guy at the shop who was trying to make the sale (he sold both models). Fits a little better for me, and less wind noise (a big deal, at least on a cruisier).

And if you want to spend less, both brands have the equivalent (eg EXO-400) in slightly heavier materials.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
I've tried a couple so far, both got good reviews.

Bell Apex Edge
http://www.thebellstore.com/Helmets/apex.html

Scorpion EXO-700
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/scorpion/

I was looking for get one for $200 max. Both these are in this range, but the Bell may be discontinued/discounted. You can find deals online for less, but fit is a big issue.

I prefer the Bell. So did the guy at the shop who was trying to make the sale (he sold both models). Fits a little better for me, and less wind noise (a big deal, at least on a cruisier).

And if you want to spend less, both brands have the equivalent (eg EXO-400) in slightly heavier materials.

+1 on the scorpion Exo 700 or even the exo 400, scorpion makes a great helmet that is very comfortable and lightweight and is readily available online for under 200 bucks. Best thing to do is go to a dealership or local cycle shop try on a bunch of helmets till you find one you like(have the salesman help you get the right size) and then go online and buy one for cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Best thing to do is go to a dealership or local cycle shop try on a bunch of helmets till you find one you like(have the salesman help you get the right size) and then go online and buy one for cheaper.
:thumbsup: I couldn't agree more! Just saved $80 this week using this method when looking for a good helmet for my kids.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
The fact is I recommend shopping the dealers, especially for helmets and using the on-line sources for price comparisons, then decide what you'll be willing to pay. Make the offer to buy the helmet, in this case, at that price if they can do it. If they won't do it within your price then go buy on-line. I usually am willing to pay $5-50 dollars more at the dealer, depending on cost of the item. I've had a few times when they've been able to match and even undercut the on-line sources. I got a helmet I wanted for $20 less than the on-line source before any shipping at the on-line source, no shipping at the shop. Took a month for the deal, but I told them I was in no hurry. They hit a wholesale supplier deal that made the price possible.

The advantage with a good dealership is they take the time to make sure everything is right, the product is usually there to take immediately, and they are there for a return if something isn't quite right. With helmets we recommended people take the helmet home, put it on and watch TV for an hour to see if there are "hot spots" and return for a better fit if there were.

For the people that use the dealers as a test site, I hope you guys realize just how nice it feels to have someone hose you down like that...

You know many of those mail order houses won't sell at the same price if they have a retail location. They're just out to steal the business they wouldn't get at their door, maximizing profits without regard. Kind of like outsourcing jobs in many ways.

Really nice when you can take up someone's work time, knowing full well you are screwing them on it and could care less if the doors of the store closed, except you'd miss them the next time you wanted to try on their stuff then buy on line.

As I've said before, imagine how you would react if someone took a test ride on your bike you had for sale, then you found they weren't ever intending to buy it, just ride it. They were going to buy another one somewhere else at a better price, just couldn't get a chance to test ride one before going there. They never intended to give you a chance to make the sale.

I won't make it sound like I don't buy stuff on-line, just that I will buy local if I feel the price is reasonable enough. There are things that I buy on line, but I also have things I'll pay extra at the shop. I just got Shimano pedals for the mountain bike at the shop, figure they'll help with any issues. Got close out shoes on line at a stupid low price. The shop doesn't stock my size and can't compete on that one.

Tires are the real nightmare. It's hard to beat most on-line prices, but...

The classic tire connundrum occurred again with me buying bicycle tires. Usually on-line is low buck, but I bought tires at the shop - good thing - one of the tires had a flaw in the carcass that caused a wobble or visible "blip" when rotated. They checked, they agreed, I had another tire in two days. If it had been on line I'd still be waiting for the tire. There would be the RO# required, the return shipping, and their check out. The bike shop had the advantage of being able to see the tire mounted on the rim properly and the flaw still readily apparent. Oddly enough though, the tires at the bicycle shop were far less expensive in the long run because there was no shipping and shipping is a big part when the total cost of the items is $35.

Back in the 80s this defective tire thing actually happened TWICE with one customer's tire. We had a customer buy a Metzler ME88 for us to mount. Our supplier was one day delivery due to location if we ordered by 4 pm. So 2 days for the customer to get the tire in and mounted, but the first tire wouldn't balance without a wad of lead. We ordered another immediately - one day delay. Believe it or not, the second wouldn't balace decently either - another day. Third tire was a charm, the rider had his new tire on the rim in 4 days, in spite of getting two defective tires. The customer doesn't wait for returns to get the new tire and our source didn't wait to see the defective tires first.

In comparison a rider (friend/riding cohort in "crime" now) bought a tire from a catalog business now an on-line site. He got the wrong tire from them. Took him 4 days to get the original tire, 4 days to get the RO# and ship back, and about another 4 days to get the right tire - no flaws, wrong size. So he spent nearly two weeks without the bike.

There are advantages to buying at dealers if you can find a good one and get a good will thing going. Happened all the time where I worked, we were one of the good dealerships. We didn't sell everything to our loyal customers, but we did do a lot and in some cases would contact certain customers when specials showed up at the wholesalers, to give them a shot at a good deal. Some of those customers are now very good friends and when my former employer had a "shop reunion" of sorts last winter there were more "customer" friends there than former employees (he sold the shop a few years back). My former employer took care of the tab too... unknown to us beforehand. All of us showed up because he was a good guy all in all.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Best thing to do is go to a dealership or local cycle shop try on a bunch of helmets till you find one you like(have the salesman help you get the right size) and then go online and buy one for cheaper.
I couldnt bring myself to do that in most cases. I guess if I went in there and tried on helmets and was ignored by the sales staff I could with a good conscious.......but if they came over and were helpful, well thats what the extra cost is for....helpful staff. Ive paid it before gladly. In fact just bought a half helmet yesterday at a dealer because of it. Paid an extra $30 on a cheap half helmet but was happy to do it.

.....but it depends on the dealer. Ive been to dealers where if they were selling helmets for $5 I wouldnt give them any of my money....they were douche bags.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My advice would be:

Buy your first helmet local. Then you can try stuff on and know what works for you.

Second helmet: use the vast online resources. I personally think JCWhitney has great helmet deals.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
I couldnt bring myself to do that in most cases. I guess if I went in there and tried on helmets and was ignored by the sales staff I could with a good conscious.......but if they came over and were helpful, well thats what the extra cost is for....helpful staff. Ive paid it before gladly. In fact just bought a half helmet yesterday at a dealer because of it. Paid an extra $30 on a cheap half helmet but was happy to do it.

.....but it depends on the dealer. Ive been to dealers where if they were selling helmets for $5 I wouldnt give them any of my money....they were douche bags.
Get hustled when you go in to by one thing, then get insulted when you are interested in a product because it doesn't cost as much as another and I could care less about using the dealer. The dealership I unfortunately have to frequent is the one that refused a legit warranty claim on my bike and then had a parts guy insult me and called the exhaust(that I probly would have bought) cheap and a pos. Not the best way to sell a product. It seems almost everytime I go in there I have a bad experience. So I don't feel bad at all for recommending this. Also you could always ask the dealer to price match another advertised price, it never hurts. The first time I go in there and have a good experience I will rethink my stance, having to complain to Honda about a bike bought within 3 months is BS.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm taking my Rider's Edge class next month, and I'm going to be needing a helmet. I would like a full-face, just because they look good with sport bikes :icon_cool:, but I'm not sure what brand to get. What brand would you recommend, preferably not the most expensive but good quality?

I'd also like a color that I can keep for multiple bikes. Besides black, are there any other colors that would look good? Graphics maybe?

Thanks!
"Looking cool" is one dumb-ass reason to put on a helmet! You realize this, right?

As for which color, most experienced riders will tell you to avoid black, especially matte black, as they just aren't visible in traffic. If safety is a concern for you, look for a helmet in a bright, solid color such as white, yellow, orange, etc.

I personally think you can't go wrong with the HJC CL-16. I believe it's the top selling helmet in the world, and for good reason. Very affordable, high quality, good comfort level.

I've had good experiences with HJC helmets. I've also heard good things about Scorpion and Shark helmets. Both of those are pretty affordable too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check for closeout sales on HJC CL-15 helmets. To me they are identicle to the CL-16 but for a lot less money. DOT and Snell approved.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I just ordered my fourth helmet. You shouldn't get one just because of how it looks; safety should ALWAYS be first priority, which IMO goes hand in hand with how well the helmet fits; but yeah, you do want to look sharp while you're at it. I do too. ;-) I buy full-face helmets because 1) my eyes cost me $5 grand, I'm not going to do anything to mess them up; and 2) I don't like the other styles, I'm not into eating bugs. LOL

The first helmet I got has cracked vents on the back; I'm not sure how they got cracked, probably in the move here from IL, so I chose not to risk it. I replaced it with a Vega Altura Shuriken helmet, pink/black/silver (I had planned on repainting the scooter I had at the time, so.......). LOVE that helmet, fits me perfectly. I found it on eBay, a retailer in Wisconsin. When I traded in the scooter for the Ninja last month, I ordered an AFX FX-90 in blue multi; I do not like how it fits, but have to keep it since my daughter stuck the reflective stickers on it already. I just ordered another Altura Vega Shuriken, this one in blue. It should be here in a few days and should fit as well as the pink one. It is DOT-approved and is a closeout model, so I got it for under $50.

I have a jacket from Motorcycle Superstore that is too small (the size charts LIE, LOL); I have to ship it back this week for refund. The new jacket, a women's Nip Tuck in blue/black, should be here tomorrow. Hopefully it fits; I have a lot of trouble finding a good fitting jacket. I have one that fits; it's a pink/white leather and I am NOT wearing it in 98-degree weather! LOL My gloves are Fly F16 dirt bike gloves in bright yellow; the blue ones will be here later this week. Really lightweight and comfortable; the yellow is a wee bit tight so I went one size up for the blue ones. I got the yellow gloves at my dealer and they told me they will price-match; so I may go in and try on some jackets if this new one doesn't work out.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
"Looking cool" is one dumb-ass reason to put on a helmet! You realize this, right?

As for which color, most experienced riders will tell you to avoid black, especially matte black, as they just aren't visible in traffic. If safety is a concern for you, look for a helmet in a bright, solid color such as white, yellow, orange, etc.
There is no reason you can't get a helmet with graphics that are appealing to you. And for the statement about black helmets I disagree. If you are worried about being visible and think the helmet is going to be what gets you spotted, you are wrong. If something no bigger than a bowling ball is what you rely on to be seen, then you shouldn't have a bike, jacket, pants, or gloves that are black or any dark color for that matter. I have a bright yellow bike and where a black helmet, I doubt that having a helmet that is brighter would have any affect on me being seen. I am pretty sure it doesn't hurt to have a white helmet, but you could always put reflective strips on a black helmet and do ok. That or wear a reflective vest which has way more surface area than your helmet. I also disagree with yellow, red, green or orange as theses colors are commonly seen in the roadway and could easily blend in.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I heard white was best also, and believe it based on a ride with my neighbor. His helmet in my rear-view mirror was much more visible than his bike or jacket.

But ... I believe David Hough talked about visibility in one of his books. He said white was not necessarily the most visible, depending on conditions (e.g. hot sunny day in the desert).

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
I heard white was best also, and believe it based on a ride with my neighbor. His helmet in my rear-view mirror was much more visible than his bike or jacket.

But ... I believe David Hough talked about visibility in one of his books. He said white was not necessarily the most visible, depending on conditions (e.g. hot sunny day in the desert).

Which is more visible?

Note: sorry I couldn't find better pictures but you get my point

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Check for closeout sales on HJC CL-15 helmets. To me they are identicle to the CL-16 but for a lot less money. DOT and Snell approved.
I can vouch for that. The CL-15 series are probably the best value for the money out there. Not necessarily the most comfortable but I tried on several makes of $200+ helmets and they weren't really any more comfortable. I have the "mutant" pattern CL-15. Most people think I got it because it looks cool, I got it simply because it stands out (in other words people notice me in traffic, which increases my odds of not getting hit).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am trying to find out if the thin "novelty" helmets like the one you see on Sons of Anarchy and OCC shows provide any level of protection or not. I like the half shell for the summer heat but hate the 2" thick sides that make your head look like a mushroom. Or do you know who makes a thin DOT half shell. Thanks for looking....

·
Registered
988 Posts
Only if you land right on top of your head. I'm sorry but the only real protection you get from a helmet is with a full face shield. The others are just built for style, give you a false sense of security or to satisfy state law.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts