Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello im new here sorry to get right on with it but I really need my bike for work and im having a serious problem

I have a 2005 Honda shadow 600 and first it started dieing on the highway but then would start back right back up then it kept getting worse now im to the point were itll start and run but has only 7 volts everywhere the lights are flickering and it wont throttle up at all just idle:mad:

now ive pulled the whole wire harness apart looking for a loose or bare wire but I found nothing and the stator was producing erratic voltage like 4 to 8 volts so I just replaced that but still doing the same thing I checked the regulator and all diodes are working theyre all at 4. something one way I checked all the fuses and changed the oil

voltage is at twelve at the ignition switch and once that is turned on it drops to seven but at first sometimes it would read twelve but now just seven and I load tested the battery at 10 volts it had like 100 amps is that right for this bike what kind of cca should I expect

if anyone has had a similar problem or has an idea what to test im getting desperate

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
How old is your battery?

First thing you should do is put it on a charger, get it charged up, then do your electrical testing.

12.0 is a dead battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry bout that the battery is new it has 12.8 volts and im getting 20 ohms on the parasitic draw test do you know of anything else to test im not familiar with this bike its too new for me what are common things that fail and when testing what kind of results should I get

·
Registered
943 Posts
.... 20 ohms on the parasitic draw ...
Ohms is resistance. You want a current measurement for parasitic draw.

It sounds like a high-resistance connection or an excessive current drain. Putting am ammeter in series with the battery + terminal will tell you which.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts