Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! I've been a complete idiot and decided to wrap my exhaust without gloves. Just to justify my stupidity, I bought a "titanium" wrap and according to some dudes on YouTube, it's okay to handle titanium exhaust wraps are okay to handle without gloves.

I finished my exhaust wrap half an hour ago and the pain and itchiness in my palms and my forearms are getting unbearable. Have any of you experienced this? What can I do to make this go away? (Nothing visible on the skin). On the plus side, my exhaust now looks sick! LOL

Also I'm new to the forum so hi!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,623 Posts
Gentle washing with soap and warm water?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,623 Posts
Gentle washing with soap and warm water?

Okay I was wrong that is a bad idea, try this:

The all knowing Google said:
You can use a vacuum to remove fiberglass dust, but the discomfort may persist if fiberglass shards are embedded in your skin. The best way to get relief is to apply masking tape to the affected area, then gently pull it off. Embedded fibers will come away with the tape.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm late to the party. Another method if the masking tape doesn't work is to lightly smear a thin coat Elmers Glue on the area. Wait for it to dry then peel off. Most clinics in the southwest have a closet full of Elmers Glue to treat patients who have come in contact with the Cholla Catus.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...lightly smear a thin coat Elmers Glue on the area.
I see the logic behind it, I think it works the same way as masking tape (or probably any other tape) but more effectively as it will more likely take the shape of your skin better. I'll keep that in mind for future (hopefully never going to need though!)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Huh, after all these years.....an answer....finally! Any time I do fiberglass work (my last project was replacing the transom on my boat), I always wear a mask, gloves, long sleeve shirt, and wrap the seams up with Duct tape. And I STILL get glass in me. I always thought you just had to deal with it for a couple of days until the glass worked itself out. Silly me.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Glad you found a solution! A little late maybe, but something you won't forget if it happens again!

I remember getting tiny, clear spines from running too close to prickly pear cactus with bare feet when I was a kid. Not fun trying to find them or finding out how many I'd missed when I tried to walk... :LOL:

·
American Legion Rider
18,917 Posts
I have a thornless type of prickly pear but it still has these tiny hairs where the thorns would normally be and those things are much more irritating than thorns because they are hard to see to remove. But man are they irritating. I'm wondering if this masking tape trick would work. I doubt because these hairs also have tiny barbs. Go in easy but don't come out very easy. Even when you can finally see one.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have a thornless type of prickly pear but it still has these tiny hairs where the thorns would normally be and those things are much more irritating than thorns because they are hard to see to remove. But man are they irritating. I'm wondering if this masking tape trick would work. I doubt because these hairs also have tiny barbs. Go in easy but don't come out very easy. Even when you can finally see one.
Might not work but definitely worth trying! Maybe try using Gorilla or TRex tape to really get some pulling power!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts