Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to locate a slip on exhaust system for my bike. It's a 2002 Suzuki VL 800 but has intruder badges. When I go on a site to look and see if my bike is compatible there's a ton of different variations of Suzuki intruder volusia , volusia k2 intruder k2 etc etc etc. Please help! I can provide vin if necessary!

Thanks!

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
Your 2002 would be a "Intruder Volusia." The confusion comes from Suzuki trying to differentiate between different models of the same platform at the time. The Volusias became the "C" designations, connoting "Cruiser" While the older "Intruders" became the "S" designation connoting "Sport" I believe,

I think they are all basically the same bikes with just different sheet metal, forks, seats, etc.
Someone will correct me if I am wrong.:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
The 800 Volusia, now C50 Boulevard is NOT the same as the 800 Intruder, now S50 Boulevard. It had a single carburetor assembly between the cylinders, which became a single throttle body when FI was introduced in the C50, while the Intruder/S50 has always had two separate carburetors, each located behind the cylinder it feeds. The frames are different, too. The Volusia also has a less aggressive cam, and less torque and horsepower, so while the major engine parts look similar, they really aren't the same platform. My S50, in 5th gear, out-accelerated my friends FI C50 in 3rd gear, from about 30mph. Why they went to cubic inches for the model names is a mystery; it sure confuses the insurance and state tax agencies. My S50 was assumed to be 50cc for a few years, before they caught up.

In any case, with few exceptions, parts for the Volusia and C50 are interchangeable. The Touring versions being one exception, with different fenders, and a few other parts.

·
7,459 Posts
I had a new 2002 Volusia and it was a great-do anything bike. I gave it to my Son and bought a new 2003 Honda VTX 1800 Retro, in candy orange!

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
7,459 Posts
Sure, and they named one after me, the Harley Davidson FATBOY:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts