Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after selling my Bandit 1200 a year and a half ago because it was just sitting under my carport due to lack of time to ride while finishing veterinary school, I'm finally looking at getting another bike. I just graduated in May and moved across the country to Tucson, AZ.

I'm looking for a bike that will be suitable for touring this beautiful state with my wife. At first I was strongly leaning towards a Goldwing (granted, the only ones I can afford would be the GL1200s), but recently a Kawasaki Concours has caught my eye. Of course, if I had my way I'd get a Valkyrie instead. ;)

I'm doing quite well at my new job, and hopefully at the end of this month I'll be looking forward to a $3000-ish bonus to fund my bike purchase.

Life is good. :)

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could do standard cruisers! However, I used to ride a Suzuki Marauder 800. It was fine around town but as soon as I took it on its first longer ride (really only about a 3 hour ride) my knees were killing me from the riding position. That is when I vowed never again to ride a bike where my feet weren't directly under me. The Bandit 1200 I had was a MUCH better long distance bike, but wasn't really suited to 2-up riding.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I am partial to the Victory product line and a 2008 or 2009 Vision should be close to your budget. Another very nice tour style bike is the Yamaha Venture. I might own one today if not for the GVWR on them. My wife and I barely meet the load limits so it would mean no luggage for us to use one. I really liked my Yamaha though. If not for the load rating I would be riding one.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Have you thought about the BMW K1200 and K1600 bikes?
They are terrific touring bikes and have the foot positioning you are looking for.

BTW, congrats on finishing school and I hope life continues going up for you!

:icon_cool:

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome back guys. I just ordered a helmet, since my old helmet was an unfortunate casualty of the moving process. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to get out and start bike shopping in earnest.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't rule out BMW Oilheads! R1100Rt's can be had for a song and are some of the best and most reliable sport touring bikes ever built!

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mr.Oilhead, I've actually been looking at BMWs. So far I haven't found anything that I think would be suitable, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts