Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of weekends ago I took a Honda F6B out for a demo ride. The sales assistant who rode with us arranged that we'd stop somewhere and discuss the bike. When we pulled over, the bikes were on a very slightly downhill slope, he hopped of the bike he was riding (Victory Hammer), put the sidestand down, walked a couple of paces away from the bike before it just fell over. Damage to the front fender, handlebars, broken clutch lever, headlight surround, tank, rear fender.

So, this Saturday my wife and I went for a ride on a Harley Davidson, the big tourer with the top box and surround pillion seat, Ultra Glide?. My wife really loved that great throne of a seat up back! We went out in a group of about 20, and I was riding second from back. Got around the planned route and I pulled up parallel to the pavement while my wife got off the pillion, then walked it back in until the rear tyre touched the curb, put the sidestand down, leaned it over and was just about to get off when the guy behind me on a Street or Road Glide started to back his bike in to the curb and over it went. Every one raced to help him get it upright and I don't know if any damage was done, it had engine bars so damage would have been minimal.

But, and this is a worry to me, will my reputation get around? "Hey, he's the guy that someone lets the bike fall over whenever he's around - don't let him ride anything from here!" Or, is it third time unlucky, and it'll be me who lets his bike fall over?

As an aside, quite impressed with the HD. Torque for Africa! Slightly clunky gear change, but you definitely knew the gear had changed. I was worried about scraping the muffler, but she seemed to lean over enough without grounding for my needs, and I suppose it was her mass that provided the incredible stability once under way. I just couldn't get those indicators to cancel, lucky enough they were self cancelling, so if I indicated and changed lanes but there wasn't enough lean to make them cancel, they'd cancel after about 20 seconds anyway.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
If you start riding Harley's people are going to talk about you. :)

They'll talk about you without ever having met you, they'll talk about your ride without ever having been on one like it, and they'll make all sorts of comments about you, your wife, your family, your pets, your friends, your intelligence, and anything else they can take a crack at. :biggrin:

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Some northern hemisphere made bikes just can't adjust to the reverse gravity of the southern hemisphere. Don't worry about it, it's the bike, and usually the reason someone has traded them in. They can be trained to adjust, but it usually takes multiple owners to get them set.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are some things you need to keep quiet Kiwi Steve if you don't want word to get around that you might be a jinx!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah I think your a jinx, your reputation has reached all the way Washington state USA, don't park your Motorcycle anywhere near mine.:icon_cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
As long as it's not YOUR bike that's falling over, no problem! (The universe is just telling you that you need to work on your FTW biker attitude!) ;)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you start riding Harley's people are going to talk about you. :)

They'll talk about you without ever having met you, they'll talk about your ride without ever having been on one like it, and they'll make all sorts of comments about you, your wife, your family, your pets, your friends, your intelligence, and anything else they can take a crack at. :biggrin:
So they're going to say what I've been saying since I started riding?

Oh, and you missed the comments that they'll make about reproductive organ size. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts