Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
18,578 Posts
Just a weird observation and resulting question...aren't cops required to do physical training anymore? Seems I'm seeing more "healthy" cops than I did in my earlier years. I've always had to fight to stay below 250. Seems many have given that fight up.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Just a weird observation and resulting question...aren't cops required to do physical training anymore? Seems I'm seeing more "healthy" cops than I did in my earlier years. I've always had to fight to stay below 250. Seems many have given that fight up.
I"m surprised that the Reporter didn't ask him about Protective equipment requirements and recommendations.

Also found it interesting that he is NOT told "when" he should ride his motorcycle (according to his own admission). Interesting that he has an option.

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Progressive makes suspension upgrades for the police bikes.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
They can always use the motorcycle to run down the guys they can't chase on foot.

·
American Legion Rider
18,578 Posts
Might be where you are gcbengal, but we got some real slobs here. At least with the older ones. I agree with you on the younger ones. But then they have attitudes that make up for it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
When I google for "motor school", all I find is youtube videos of harleys rounding traffic cones. Doesn't motor school do high speed and emergency stop training?

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I think it depends on where you are. Some agencies encourage fitness and some require it, but it seems many do not. Around here the state troopers seem to be pretty healthy. Some look like they'd be real warriors if provoked. But many of the local guys and girls are slobs. Some of them are morbidly obese.

"You think you're going to arrest me? Seriously? Okay, make sure you have your nitro pills handy before we start this....::biggrin:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Ha ha. Yes I understand some of y'all's thoughts. I am 44 and have been a officer for 22 years. I'm still in decent shape, but as you get older it certainly gets a lot harder to keep the extra weight off.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,491 Posts
Around here they all wear armor so they look bigger than they really are.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Oh, I know it gets harder to stay in shape as we get older. (Right, Critter?)

But some of the cops here are younger then me, and I don't mean just a little out of shape, I mean wayyyyyy out of shape. One of the motor cops is close to 300 pounds, I bet.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
We have a cop in our town, he wouldn't be able to catch a turtle running from him, he has to weight a good 400 pounds. I like my men on the hefty side, but not that hefty!! I'm not against overweight people at all, having been 200 pounds myself at one point, but in a job that demands physical assertion like this, I'd be worried about the insurance risk. He's more likely to die of a heart attack on a foot chase than he would to actually catch the criminal. The town basically uses him for traffic control. I know for the fire dept, you have to pass a very brutal physical examination. You would think it would be the same for cops. There's no way this guy even fit on the treadmill.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts