Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 and one day after school I came to start it up. Well I turned the key to "on" and all the lights on the instrument panel(basically just the neutral light and low oil pressure light) came on, everything was normal, until I went to press the starter button. I pressed it and there was a click somewhere beneath me(around the fuse box) and all the lights turned off, after about 30 seconds the lights came back on, I tried the starter again and it did the same thing. I checked the fuse box and everything is good inside there so I am assuming somewhere in the bike is a short but I have no idea where to begin looking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice CB750F, I tried that but the problem remained. Its not really the whole bikes power issue, its just when i press the ignition problem happens and I am gettin tired of push starting it haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I grabbed my voltmeter and tested the battery and it seemed to have a good full charge averaging around 12.30 volts when the bike was offf and 11.54 when it was on.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I still suspect the battery. Try jumping it with another 12 volt battery. You can use any 12 volt battery in any vehicle as long as the ignition is off on the other vehicle (not running). Don't use car or truck cables. Get some motorcycle cables or make some with alligator clips and bell wire. Connect the positive terminal to the other positive terminal with first wire. On second wire put one clip on a negative terminal and the other clip to an engine or body part on the other vehicle. If the bike starts up when connected to the other battery you will have found your problem.

·
Shantytown Mayor
4,705 Posts
Well after you are 100% certain it's not the battery it's time to start checking the starter or starter solenoid (aka the starter relay).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 and one day after school I came to start it up. Well I turned the key to "on" and all the lights on the instrument panel(basically just the neutral light and low oil pressure light) came on, everything was normal, until I went to press the starter button. I pressed it and there was a click somewhere beneath me(around the fuse box) and all the lights turned off, after about 30 seconds the lights came back on, I tried the starter again and it did the same thing. I checked the fuse box and everything is good inside there so I am assuming somewhere in the bike is a short but I have no idea where to begin looking.
Did you ever figure this out? I think I have the same issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts